Page Rank Update Megathread (update 31.12.2009)

• rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
the temporary changes are likely just estimates, but still they do have an obvious effect.

I think you are talking about two different effects here ...

In the first article you seem to attribute the improved search engine ranking to PR, but you never state if the page rank changed at the time.

I think what you saw was that Google found the links and attributed the link text to YOUR page.... thus improving your search engine ranking, not your PR.

Actually, this is the similar to the case you make in the second article.

By the way, I think your conclusions are wrong here also. You are seeing the same effect as above and assuming that external links carry more weight.

All I see is additional links to an internal page making it more relevant. I would guess the links contained your site name so this page becomes more relevant when searching for your name.

In both cases I think you proved that LINK TEXT is very important to search engine ranking for your keywords. And you proved that search engine rankings are updated frequently.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

When the toolbar PR updates you don’t see any shifts in search results like you used too. Same goes for when the back links have been updated.

The Google Update has been dead for some time. Google updates all the time. Page Rank is the major factor in rankings (out side link text).
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
When the toolbar PR updates you don’t see any shifts in search results like you used too. Same goes for when the back links have been updated.

:?: That's not been MY experience :?:

After the last couple of updates, my new sites have moved a couple of pages forward in search engines.

Google seems to recognize the links (anchor text) almost immediately, and my site will move 1 or 2 positions. But, after a PR or backlink update it usually moves huge amounts.

Maybe when you are already at the top there is just no where to go? :)
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtchar wrote:
Maybe when you are already at the top there is just no where to go? :)

lol I wish that was the case. I use http://www.cleverstat.com/google-monitor-query.htm to track about 20 of my pages every day.
  • seobook
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • seobook
  • Loc: we are Penn State!!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtchar wrote:
Quote:
the temporary changes are likely just estimates, but still they do have an obvious effect.

I think you are talking about two different effects here ...

In the first article you seem to attribute the improved search engine ranking to PR, but you never state if the page rank changed at the time.

Of course the visual pagerank did not change yet. its common sense that for that page to have become more important than the other page in my site that the pagerank had to have increased. the effect of the pages comming up and then drifiting away again to obscurity show the effect of having a link from pages one page removed from EarthWeb.com and Internet News, which eventually went into their archives at which time my page became less important.

rtchar wrote:
I think what you saw was that Google found the links and attributed the link text to YOUR page.... thus improving your search engine ranking, not your PR.

PageRank is how they judge a large portion of the value of a link. obviously they need to estimate some value to have it take effect.

rtchar wrote:
By the way, I think your conclusions are wrong here also. You are seeing the same effect as above and assuming that external links carry more weight.

All I see is additional links to an internal page making it more relevant. I would guess the links contained your site name so this page becomes more relevant when searching for your name.

consider 300 to 400 inbound links using a term (including about a half dozen external links also pointing at the page)

vs

about a dozen links.

I think that does a good job of showing how much more effective external links are than internal ones.

rtchar wrote:
In both cases I think you proved that LINK TEXT is very important to search engine ranking for your keywords. And you proved that search engine rankings are updated frequently.

Right, but since PageRank is a core part of the Google Algorithm they must associate some values with the links pointing at me and parse some of that power through or else such an effect would not be so dramatically noticable.
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

seobook

I really don't want to get into a spitting match over who has the best interpretation. :lol:

However .... The Anatomy of a Large-Scale Hypertextual Web Search Engine states:
Quote:
The text of links is treated in a special way in our search engine. Most search engines associate the text of a link with the page that the link is on. In addition, we associate it with the page the link points to.

and ...

Quote:
Additionally, we factor in hits from anchor text and the PageRank of the document. Combining all of this information into a rank is difficult. We designed our ranking function so that no particular factor can have too much influence.

If it is any help I do agree that "300 to 400 inbound links" are better than "about a dozen links". :?:
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any one else seeing backlink changes?

My links just changed from 23 to 46 ... not seeing PR changes yet.
  • Basher
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

my pr has gone up abit 2 of my sites have bought links for a month to a pr 7 site and one have gone from a zero to a 3 and the other hasnt moved anything another one of my sites has gone up one

pitty i thought they would have atleast gone to a 4 or 5
  • rDolay
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • rDolay

Post 3+ Months Ago

God damned , why it happened before a big crawl , oh my god this sudden update owe a little fortune, i cant believe it , it has updated our sites backlinks however it has done when we are configuring the .htaccess redirects ... i wish google made a big crawl or still doin it and refresh those backlinks otherwise :banghead:
  • megri
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Chandigarh India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Google has updated again its Backward links (BL) We have also seen changes in PageRank.I have also noticed the interested change In one case in which earlier google changed it to PR0 becuase of similar content we changed the conent last few now the page has again PR5.
  • TalkingCity
  • Born
  • Born
  • TalkingCity
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are changes only in the BL and no changes in the PR.Well let us see when the PR changes allthough BL have increased but so far no change in PR
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am seeing backlink changes, but no PR changes anywhere. For the people seeing PageRank changes are you sure?
  • rDolay
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • rDolay

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes BigWebmaster I see one of our new page rised to the pr5 from 0 and i think the most important pr change is that i notice a page has pr4 fall to the 0 and this is the only page that have dublicated content(only file name different) but other twin has same pr still.

I think at this update, google has enchanged a strong pr filter for dublicated pages.

Could those backlinks and pr update are stil refreshing or does it completed ?
  • cyberax
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: INDIA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have also seen a change in BL but no change in PR.
  • marengo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • marengo

Post 3+ Months Ago

G shows 151 BL (update from 3 to 151) but any of 6-7 PR BLs :( No PR update too.
  • floridafishandhunt.com
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am showing an increase in Bls from 18 to 23 but all of them ar under pr 4 links. Ever since that last Bl update it shows low ranking pr backlinks

Doug

No pr change on pages yet!
  • bbott1982
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Backlinks for my site jumped to 59. There is officially no PR update.

What the hell is google up to?
  • darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: London (via the rest of the world)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Has anyone tried using the allinurl command to find backlinks??
  • marengo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • marengo

Post 3+ Months Ago

darksat, it means nothing. For my site:
Results 1 - 10 of about 2,500 for allinurl:www.bestcatalog.net and

Results 1 - 10 of about 158 for allinurl:http://www.bestcatalog.net.

and high PR BL are there.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

nothing at all. would love a change soon... :-(
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

More strange backlinks ... again

I have several PR-0 showing, several from OZZU :)

The most recent link (an OZZU posting) is from July 12.

I did notice some weird activity, from a google server only identified by IP address, starting about 2:00 am EST on Aug 8. I guess these are the results from that deep crawl.

Again, some cgi type links with many parameters and deep directory structures ... like this one:
http://www.domain.com/scripts/links/ rlinks.pl?cat=Cat%20Products/Services,Pet%20Products/Services

Most of the links showing now were never displayed before. Seems like Google is rotating the links displayed, to give every one a turn. :lol:
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't see any changes...in all my sites. Are you looking at a specific IP?
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nope ...

Just link:www.domain.com in Google search bar.
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Same old same old...no changes
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

The best thing about OZZU ...

Quote:
The most effective way of ensuring the validity of advice is to open the advice to peer review. Peer review may be formal - by asking other experts to review the advice - or informal, for example by opening the advice to public scrutiny. It is important to ensure that formal peer review is independent and rigorous....Select Committee on Science and Technology
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just checked PROG (http://webmasterbrain.com/prog/) it's doesn't show any new backlinks but it does show PR changes. All the internal backlink pages that were perviously showing as PR0 have been bumped to PR4 and 3. But there are still a bunch of good PR links not showing...some that I have has for years. I checked those sites and they all still have good PR....hummm
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

seobook and rtchar you both make very informed and compelling arguments...I think what's being missed is that we do not know what google does to their algo so no answer can be considered the "correct one". Based on googles recent behavior I would expect to see some major florida like upheval in the whole ranking system...their process is highly automated why would they turn it off...unless they are doing testing or implementing new changes....hold on to your hats we could be in fo a wild ride.
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I really don't want to get into a spitting match over who has the best interpretation.

So very true ... like they say "lies, damn lies and statistics" :)
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anybody else showing a large number of directories and forums in their backlinks?

I don't know if this is because they are low PR, and Google is only showing low PR back links. Or is this related to Hilltop?
  • bbott1982
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtchar wrote:
Anybody else showing a large number of directories and forums in their backlinks?

I don't know if this is because they are low PR, and Google is only showing low PR back links. Or is this related to Hilltop?

yep

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 740 posts