Page Rank Update Megathread (update 31.12.2009)

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Woohoo! I'm going from a PR2 to PR4 !! Not a great jump, but I'll take the forward progress!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• gardenstew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Malmö, Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cheers Jess. And where are my manners, your achievement was no small deal either. Important for a directory to have good PageRank, and PR5 is great!
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Congrats ATNO, doubled your PR. :)

I'm seeing the results on the toolbar now.
  • ccb056
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, the PR more than doubled since it is measured on a logmetric scale
  • Solutions
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Denmark

Post 3+ Months Ago

Congratulations to all that have increased their PR.

Im also a happy man according to http://www.seochat.com/?go=1&option=com_seotools&tool=9&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.solutions2buy.dk%2Fseo-guide.html&submit=Check my page jumps from 0 to 6. I have renamed the page and it only has links from other internal pages.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mines poo :(
  • djtheropy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • djtheropy

Post 3+ Months Ago

i do believe i said the update would be on the first of january :d

anyways from pr0 to pr3 so all good here.
  • Swan
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Idaho

Post 3+ Months Ago

Results for: http://www.highpeakcrossco.com
DataCenter PageRank PageRank Bar
toolbarqueries.google.com 3

64.233.161.99 0

64.233.161.104 0

66.102.7.99 3

66.102.7.104 3

216.239.59.99 3

216.239.59.104 3

216.239.37.104 0

216.239.39.99 3

216.239.39.104 3

66.102.11.99 3

66.102.11.104 3

216.239.57.99 3

216.239.57.104 3

66.102.9.99 3

66.102.9.104 3

216.239.53.99 3

216.239.53.104 3

Ok, could somebody interpret this stuff for me?

Are those my different pages? and then their rank? I don't have that many pages.

Does this mean I will move up in the search results? If that is saying I have a 3.

I won't get happy yet....boy, if I have a 3 though, man thats good compared to what I would have had if I would have had no help from all of you guys. I'd have a big fat o.

Swan
  • Swan
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Idaho

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, the little green line just confirmed it! Break out the balloons and all that, I offically have page rank. 3 is better then zero. Thank's to all that have contributed in helping me with my site- You know who you are! Thank you very much! Have a Great New Year all!

Swan
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Swan, to answer your prior question, those IP's you quoted above are Google's different datacenters. They update at different intervals and the ones in your post that were still showing zero still hadn't updated when you took that snapshot. Congrats on your increase.
  • chris911
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • chris911
  • Loc: London UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

My PR went from 0 to 4, but my google rankings remain exactly the same ie. rubbish. WHY?????

WHY???
  • Solutions
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Denmark

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
My PR went from 0 to 4, but my google rankings remain exactly the same ie. rubbish. WHY?????

WHY???

Well, Google always know the "real PR" for a given site, even though the PR is not visible on the toolbar.

A Toolbar Page Rank update as the recent one is meerely just cosmetic.
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

chris911 wrote:

WHY???

welcome to the real world.

A good PR doesn't guarentee a good serp placement. Kinda makes u wonder why you should care so much about PR doesnt it...........
  • chris911
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • chris911
  • Loc: London UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Solutions & Jess -

That would make sense, except for the fact that the keywords I've targeted really are not very competitive - they're pretty obscure and other sites ranked highly in google are clearly not search engine optimised. In MSN Beta search, my site (s) rank in the top three for about 10 different keyword combinations, yet in google, the site remains search engine fodder.

I've over 100 keyword rich anchor text links pointing to the site, from relevant sites - way more than the competitors. Titles, text, meta tags etc all keyword orientated.... WHY???? Does google take longer still to cotton on or what???
  • ZenSEO
  • Student
  • Student
  • ZenSEO

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyone know when the last PR update was? I'm trying to get a feel for when the next one will be. Also, lets say your site 'would be' a higher PR if they did an update... are those factors taken into account in a search even tho your pr hasn't been updated or do you have to wait for the update for it to count? For example, if i'm PR5 now and next week I get some PR6-8 links that'll bring my PR up next update, will my rankings go up in the meantime even tho pr hasn't updated or am I stuck til next update?

Any guess when the next one might be? :)

Also, Google hasn't spidered my site since the day after X-mas... usually it's much more frequent... is google not spidering as much during the update? i'm waiting for the bots to come back so some of my new links to my other sites will get added to the engines :) much easier than submitting ;)
  • ZenSEO
  • Student
  • Student
  • ZenSEO

Post 3+ Months Ago

chris911 wrote:
Solutions & Jess -

That would make sense, except for the fact that the keywords I've targeted really are not very competitive - they're pretty obscure and other sites ranked highly in google are clearly not search engine optimised. In MSN Beta search, my site (s) rank in the top three for about 10 different keyword combinations, yet in google, the site remains search engine fodder.

I've over 100 keyword rich anchor text links pointing to the site, from relevant sites - way more than the competitors. Titles, text, meta tags etc all keyword orientated.... WHY???? Does google take longer still to cotton on or what???

Sounds like you answered your own question. Google penalizes SEOd sites and prefers sites that rank 'naturally'... if it can tell you're trying to manipulate them it can hurt your rankings.

PR can make a difference between two roughly equivalent sites... but if your site is ranked lower for other reasons PR may not make a diff.

MSN/Yahoo are much easier to manipulate in my experience using white hat SEO.

Good qualities links + well formatted white hat SEO site = top rankings in MSN/Yahoo/etc.

Google = A mystery to me :)
  • calebtheredwood
  • Loc: Wisconsin USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to be so happy when my pr would move up.

I'd make my wife come in the room and look at the green bar.

I'd yell and celebrate.

My cats would run and hide.

Then...

I'd realize the depreciating value of PR and go back to building content.

:oops:
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

calebtheredwood wrote:
I used to be so happy when my pr would move up.

I'd make my wife come in the room and look at the green bar.

I'd yell and celebrate.

My cats would run and hide.

Then...

I'd realize the depreciating value of PR and go back to building content.

:oops:

I'm in the same boat (seriously, the wife, the cats, everything). Though the fact that mine jumped from a 3 to a 5 on most of my pages gives me a warm fuzzy. I'm just dreading losing all that nice useless PR when I get rid of my subdomains in my next major update. I'm not really getting rid of them, just going to 301 them.
  • George_Gambino
  • Student
  • Student
  • George_Gambino

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jess and GardenStew,

Congrats on the PR updates – long overdue I sense. What a huge jump too.

I myself experienced a PR jump from 0 to 3, which though not as impressive as yours, I am still happy. Looks like the daily grind of establishing incoming links is finally paying off.

Jess, thanks for Future PageRank Tool – very handy.

In conclusion, thank you OZZU and all contributors (rtchar, veto, jess, etc) for providing and sharing knowledge on building better ranked sites.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

I mentioned the last time this happened. I saw only PR0 pages updated and this has now happened again. One of my links pages went from a PR0 to a PR6. Across the board, only sites of mine with a PR of 0 increased, everything else stayed the same.

Oh...any does anyone remember my prediction of the next Pagerank update ;-)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

George_Gambino wrote:

In conclusion, thank you OZZU and all contributors (rtchar, veto, jess, etc) for providing and sharing knowledge on building better ranked sites.

Much agreed on that. I'm in the learning mode on this myself. Prior to roughly August I stayed out of the Search engine boards due to that cluelessness disease *lol
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just noticed some Homepage PR updates, guess I am seeing more than just PR0 changes, like before.
  • Portage
  • Portage
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Congrats Jess and Stew! Amazing jump. I moved up just one point but progresss is progress. Thanks all for the kind suggestions that have helped!

Grant
  • TheArchitect
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • TheArchitect
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know this probably gets asked in here a lot but does anyone have any idea to when the next PR update will be or when the last one was? Thanks. :wink:
  • bbott1982
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The last PR/Backlink update was around new years (1/05).... You have a few more weeks will we probably see another backlink update and about 3 more months until we see another PR update... :D
  • TheArchitect
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • TheArchitect
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm, alright. Unfortunately my main site's unchanged. Although I recently released a new software title (8 Jan). I guess I'll only start seeing real results in the 3 month update. Any suggestions on how to increase my PR or methods that have the greatest effect? Thanks.
  • bbott1982
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

psyc0w wrote:
Any suggestions on how to increase my PR or methods that have the greatest effect? Thanks.

Get backlinks, more backlinks, and more backlinks.... oh did I mention backlinks?

:D
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

The next one will be on March 27th. 8)
  • gardenstew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Malmö, Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it will be on St. Patrick's Day March 17th :anonymous:
  • Gandalf
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will keep an eye on both of your dates :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 740 posts