Page Rank Update Megathread (update 31.12.2009)

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good. That gives me some time. (for those backlinks *lol)
  • northjersey78
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Good. That gives me some time. (for those backlinks *lol)

I got your back.
  • George_Gambino
  • Student
  • Student
  • George_Gambino

Post 3+ Months Ago

Veto, I'm circling that date in my diary.

Now its time for more backlinks....arrgghhhh, never stops!
  • Datagg
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Datagg
  • Loc: AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ive heard many say that PR really doesnt matter in the scope of it all.

Is that true?? or Speculations??

Thank you
  • ZenSEO
  • Student
  • Student
  • ZenSEO

Post 3+ Months Ago

PR does matter. The PR on the google toolbar doesn't because it's not accurate. Some people will disagree with me, BUT I'm convinced PR is a big factor in google ranks... not the only factor, maybe not even the main factor but one of several big factors.

The reason I believe that is watching the SERPs in my main keyword, which is highly competetive. I see sites move up and down based on PR. In fact, I just bought some high PR text ads to help boost my PR for the next update and it is already affecting my SERPs... moved up from #8 to #3 yesterday for a keyword that has a competetiveness rating of 0 in wordtracker :) (32 million pages indexed for the term).

IMO, the main factors are:

1) # of quality content/keyword related pages in a site for that term
2) Relevancy of inbound links (keywords)
3) PR (covers link popularity, authority, etc)

To get high in a competetive search, you have to do well on at least 2 or 3, all 3 if it's really competetive.
  • rajputkashyap
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

In last PR update, I went to 4 from 1, and in the meantime.. I am desaparate to get more backlinks.... Hope G again would increase my PR :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm a believer that PR does matter. At the moment, I'm PR4. With my primary key phrase I dropped to 6 yesterday where I was at 4 in Serps. All pages listed above me are PR 6 or 7 (if you check the main domain root) and all sites ranked above me are in subdirectories, whereas mine is the root.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

the next PR update will be on Feb 22 :wink:
  • ZenSEO
  • Student
  • Student
  • ZenSEO

Post 3+ Months Ago

madmonk how do you know that or is that just a joke? :)

I can't wait for the next PR update I should jump to a 6 from 5 hopefully, which will make me one of 2 pr 6s in my category (and by far the most relevant).
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like this:

http://www.seocompany.ca/pagerank/page- ... -list.html
  • rajputkashyap
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

some offbeat question, please advise

one of my clients sells products related to Field hockey equipment, I wish to gear up sales in UK market, I went through some forums and blogs where such buyers might be available, but still cant get any positive feedback.. can you suggest me the proper way to rise sales in UK market

thnx

kashyap
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
madmonk how do you know that or is that just a joke?

Its just my guess. Lol. hopefully some guys will believe it and start a new myth together! 8)
  • djbj597922
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
The reason I believe that is watching the SERPs in my main keyword, which is highly competetive. I see sites move up and down based on PR. In fact, I just bought some high PR text ads to help boost my PR for the next update and it is already affecting my SERPs... moved up from #8 to #3 yesterday for a keyword that has a competetiveness rating of 0 in wordtracker (32 million pages indexed for the term).

Zen
How long did it take for you to see a change in your serps after you purchased the text links on the high PR site? :?
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just to throw a little wrench into your well ordered world ... here is the results for a recent search on one of my keywords.

1. PR=5 Links=43
    2. PR=5 Links=80
    3. PR=6 Links=3030
    4. PR=4 Links=11
    5. PR=7 Links=17900
    6. PR=4 Links=66
    7. http://directory.google.com/Top/Shopping/ PR=10 Links=3030000
    8. PR=6 Links=464
    9. PR=5 Links=89
    10. PR=4 Links=10

Didn't know I was competing with Google for keywords :lol:

I would guess Google is there because someone linked to the directory page?
  • ZenSEO
  • Student
  • Student
  • ZenSEO

Post 3+ Months Ago

Links & PR aren't the only factors :) Also, when you say 'links', are those keyword anchored links or just any links? :)

My site went up in serps when Google first reindexed their directory PR/cache mid-Jan... after the recent bot activity last week it has since dropped down to #6, so i'm not sure what's up with that (maybe some sites that linked to me got dropped in popularity since the pages themselves didn't change) but have made some additional changes since then that haven't been recached (lowering keyword density)... just tinkering now :)
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Was the recent Google update good to you? Well now you can tell them exactly what you think of it.

With the recent February update Google has also decided to open up a feedback channel. If you have comments about the update you can mail them to feb05feedback@googlegroups.com

Quite a nice move in my eyes and I certainly havn't seen this happen before!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*Pulls out the dictaphone and begins dictating nasty-gram

So far every keyword that was bringing traffic to my site from Google is virtually useless.
  • George_Gambino
  • Student
  • Student
  • George_Gambino

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suggest you get in quick - unless you want to get stuck in the quagmire created by the 6 million other feedbacks...
  • cyberax
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: INDIA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

The recent back link update was really good for us and our clients.

Now it would be good to see the next PR update.

I feel with Microsoft launching its new MSN and Yahoo coming up with new search products the it is going to be tough for Google to hold its Rank#1 position.

Cheers.
Vijay Bhatter
  • gardenstew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Malmö, Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
With the recent February update Google has also decided to open up a feedback channel.

Could this be in direct response to MSN's acceptance of feedback? I hope this isn't just a face that they are putting up to please the community.

Regards the update on of my sites has suffered on almost every keyphrase that I was targeting especially the primary keyphrase. But I'm not going to be negative about it, this is what the game is about after all... get back on the saddle :)
  • cyberax
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I have noticed that too and now they are even active in replying to your queries.

Recently I noticed a drop in my homepage for the keyword: vijay and I sent a mail to google and they not just replied I got back my site in the Top 20.

Cheers,
Vijay
  • George_Gambino
  • Student
  • Student
  • George_Gambino

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Recently I noticed a drop in my homepage for the keyword: vijay and I sent a mail to google and they not just replied I got back my site in the Top 20.

As simple as that huh!

Hmmmm...
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

not at all. every word went down for my sites.
patience...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I just sent my email. We'll see what they do. It should get their attention since MSN is now about to pass them in traffic generated from results *grin,
  • George_Gambino
  • Student
  • Student
  • George_Gambino

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi ATNO/TW,

MSN surpassing Google? That's big news - how do you know this?

Cheers
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just check it in Awstats daily. What I said above was in reference to my site. I didn't mean that was a global statistic.
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually I can agree with this. Msn is sending us a good number of hits more than Google is at the moment. That has to be a concern for Google......
  • George_Gambino
  • Student
  • Student
  • George_Gambino

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW,

True, my stats also show msn and yahoo sending quadruple the amount of hits as Google.

Then again, I am positioned so much better in their SERPs than Googles; so it makes sense I guess.
  • cyberax
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interesting discussion :)

One of my forum is well placed on all the search engines and draws good amount of traffic from all parts of the world.

Last month it went up to 6Million pageviews and already got on Alexa Ranking (Weekly average: 7821) and the average Log file generated daily is 800MB :(

I have noticed that on all my sites that many people are now moving from Google to MSN and Yahoo cause Google results are not that accurate anymore (even I do search MSN and Yahoo at times due to this). And with the way MSN and Yahoo have been constantly improving on their search results there have been a considerable rise in their market share in the search engine industry.

Cheers,
Vijay Bhatter
  • southerngurl
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • southerngurl
  • Loc: Arkansas

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I put in my main search term, I cannot find my site anywhere. I went all the way through them (to like, page 60, where it cuts off).

:cry:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 740 posts