The Google Rank Transition Patent

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have any of your heard of the Google Rank Transition Patent? I first heard about this at:

http://www.seobythesea.com/2012/08/google-rank-modifying-spammers-patent/

Quote:
A system determines a first rank associated with a document and determines a second rank associated with the document, where the second rank is different from the first rank. The system also changes, during a transition period that occurs during a transition from the first rank to the second rank, a transition rank associated with the document based on a rank transition function that varies the transition rank over time without any change in ranking factors associated with the document.

I think it is very interesting and explains why alot of times after when you first make changes to your website or pages on a website, often times your ranks will decline before improving. It seems to always happen to the sites I run, when I feel like I am making positive changes to a website, and then go live with the changes, the ranks always drop initially and takes awhile before they recover. It is always very discouraging, but at least I never overact and keep tweaking things. I could see others who might do things differently after seeing big rank changes.

Here is what Google's Rank Transition function says:

Quote:
The rank transition function provides confusing indications of the impact on rank in response to rank-modifying spamming activities. The systems and methods may also observe spammers’ reactions to rank changes caused by the rank transition function to identify documents that are actively being manipulated. This assists in the identification of rank-modifying spammers.

Basically what happens with this approach is that when you make changes to your website Google might decrease your rank to see how you react as compared to your old rank and to see if you are trying to game the system. Google does this to try and detect which ones are spammers who might react to an negative ranking and make further changes to their site. They would then be shooting themselves in the foot if they keep manipulating their pages as the ranks go up or down.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

Google needs to stop playing with their source, the panda update was bad enough. but lets hope this is not 1 step forward 2 steps back.

Great post tho, interesting read.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts