Using alt and title for a link

• skyvia
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • skyvia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alt and title are common for images, but I am curious if they are useful for a simple hyperlink? What about using a slightly different words for the title and alt (different from the original hyperlinked text).
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• johneva
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • johneva

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alt no, this is for images or other things where an alternative maybe needed video etc.

As for title yeah its quite common practice to have title for links, but not so much for SEO, nobody even knows if it makes any difference. But in terms of usability yeah its a good idea.

Try not to always think about whats best for search engines but whats best design practice to make the site work properly, think about usability and accessibility.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

johneva wrote:
Try not to always think about whats best for search engines but whats best design practice to make the site work properly, think about usability and accessibility.

This is the best statement I've read in this forum in a long time.
  • linkbullets
  • linkbullets
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

According to me Alt is more beneficial and very useful for images and videos as Google crawlers dont crawl the images and even the videos.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

linkbullets wrote:
According to me Alt is more beneficial and very useful for images and videos as Google crawlers dont crawl the images and even the videos.

You would be better off creating a sitemap that includes your images and videos which google does crawl. The process and a very good example of a sitemap that incorporates images and videos is found at Google Webmaster Central

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts