PC 100 Ram HELP/Questions!

• sofa_king
  • Student
  • Student
  • sofa_king

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, well I have this motherboard, a very old one.
Asus P2B and I was browsing off ebay and found this nice PC 100 256MB (It is stated to be Double sided) Ram for a good deal. I was wondering if it mattered if it was Double Sided or Single Sided. Will my motherboard read that it's double sided and still work with it? Im not sure if the current rams I have is double or single sided. But the question is does it still work if it was single sided, or double sided?

256mb single stick of PC-100 Sdram.
Ram Specs Specs:
-256 megabytes
-Synchronous
-Double-sided
-CL2 timing
-100mhz, PC-100
-Micron chips, Built by Micron

All it says in my manual:
PC100 Memory Support: Eqquipped with three DIMM sockets to support Intel PC 100- compliant SDRAMs (8, 16, 32, 64, 128, or 256MB) up to 768MB. These new SDRAMs are necessary to meet the enhanced 100MHz bus speed requirement.

One last question, If I bought a stick of 256MB PC133 Will it downgrade to a PC100 Speed byitself with no harm and still work with my motherboard that says PC100 rams?

Thanks for reading this and trying to help me!
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you will be fine with the RAM.

If you get PC133 RAM and put it in a mobo that uses PC100, the RAM will downgrade to PC100.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just tried to upgrade a half dozen Dell Optiplex GX110 with generic ram that is PC 133 when it had PC100 onboard.
After install, the system wouldn't boot, it simply kept rebooting to the same error message.
Even when using RAM taken from another, newer Dell box, it still refused to boot.

So...while most non-corporate boards/systems will allow the use of generic or higher-than-spec RAM, the chances are that systems such as Compaq, Dell etc are likely to require RAM that meets the systems particular needs.
  • The1
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

generic ram is always a problem on older boards with pc133, sometimes ram like corsair will work though. It depends on the brand and how old the board is.
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cold Canuck wrote:
I just tried to upgrade a half dozen Dell Optiplex GX110 with generic ram that is PC 133 when it had PC100 onboard.
After install, the system wouldn't boot, it simply kept rebooting to the same error message.
Even when using RAM taken from another, newer Dell box, it still refused to boot.

So...while most non-corporate boards/systems will allow the use of generic or higher-than-spec RAM, the chances are that systems such as Compaq, Dell etc are likely to require RAM that meets the systems particular needs.

I had that same kind of problem but it went away unexpectedly when I inserted the old again and then the newer PC133.
  • sofa_king
  • Student
  • Student
  • sofa_king

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, but It doesn't matter if it's double sided or single sided right? I jsut opened up my computer, and it's single sided rams. Can I purchase a stick of double sided ram and still work normally?
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, it should.
  • The1
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

all depends on the mobo, asus should be right, some motherboards dont though.
  • sofa_king
  • Student
  • Student
  • sofa_king

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hope I can pull this off, just bought a 256MB stick of double sided ram, and waiting for it to ship. Hope nothing goes wrong =/

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts