My 200GB Harddisk become 128GB

• madking153
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • madking153
  • Loc: Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi , recently i bought a Seagate 200GB harddisk , i copy some movies and mp3 from My friend. Then only i partition it with partition magic into 2 drives. After the partition and restart , the computer cannot recognize my HD and ask me to format it .
I can't do anything so i format it , then the com recognize it s capacity is 128GB .Now I lost all my data and my 72 GB !! :(

I been post this problem in some forum , nobody seem can help me .

Now i don't care the data inside my new HD , all my need is restore it to original 200GB HD

In Bios , it recognize my HD is 200GB, but in Partition Magic , Device Manager and My HD properties said it is 128Gb

please Help !!!! i really appreaciate

i using Win 2000 pro
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had a simular problem my first using partion magic I screwed up somehow and not only resized the partion but changed it to something like xFAT32 or something like that, the only thing that would see it was FDISK and that is what I had to use to remove it.
  • The_torst
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • The_torst
  • Loc: Denmark

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, the partition tables are probably screwed up:

1) find an app that can restore your part. tables
2) make backups of what you have and repartition
  • madking153
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • madking153

Post 3+ Months Ago

BUt how should I do it , please advice !!

Beside , can BGn32 instruct me how to use Fdisk to restore it ?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Another thought. You may be having issues with the large hard drive support with Windows 2000. Read this for more details:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305098/EN-US/

More info here:
http://support.intel.com/support/chipse ... 009299.htm

Additional partitioning help here:
http://www.dewassoc.com/support/win2000/partwin2000.htm
  • madking153
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • madking153

Post 3+ Months Ago

> ATNO/TW - thansk for the information
it seems after i change the Registry doesnt help
  • madking153
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • madking153

Post 3+ Months Ago

i forgot to tell your all , before i partition this HD , i can browse it and show is 200GB , but now no
  • madking153
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • madking153

Post 3+ Months Ago

WOOOW , thank u -ATNO/TW . After i change in Registry Editor and restart , i can see my the other 60 GB .THANKS!!!!

But Still the total space is 190GB , can u tell me why ?

Beside , why the 1st time i can see is 200gb but after partition cannot ?
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Drives are never the same size as they say. I have a 200GB barracuda and it is 192GB. Big deal.
  • madking153
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • madking153

Post 3+ Months Ago

But 10 GB is not small amount ....
So it is normal that happen >?
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Soy Cubano, no puedo ser diferent!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

my computer despcrition says 200 GBs but it only shows 180, the other 20 GB are reserve as a recovery partition, the accessible capacity may vary. that must be the reason why.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

On a 200Gb drive 10GB isn't a lot. Generally 5% is the difference on a drive after formatting and such....which means you are right on target. On my 60GB drive it only had 52GB, which is almost 14%! HP said too bad though....they guarantee within a flat 10GB.
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have an 80 GB hard drive and when i checked the actual size it was like 75 or 74 gb so i suppose it is used for emergency and recovery you could call the manufacturer of the hard drive and see if they can help u if no one finds the answer here
  • madking153
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • madking153

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks you all , i contact Seagate tech center and they explain me very well wat is going on .....why the capacity smaller .Anyone interested i can forward or post it here ..
  • The1
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

it's because of the rounding,

Hard drive manufactures 1 MB is 1000KB

Microsofts 1 MB is 1024KB

so 200GB is 200,000MB or 200,000,000KB and that's what it's labeled as.

Once you format the drive using a microsoft standard like NTFS or FAT32

Your 200GB Hard Drive will be 195GB or 195,312MB

so youve lost 5GB just from formating, then once you install windows it will use say another 5GB for drive information and fat or ntfs table information, also space for system restore and lots of other information.

So in essence your 200GB hard drive is a 200GB hard drive it's just cause microsoft takes so much space for hidden information for windows and because of the way microsoft format a hard drive.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Um. No.

It is because of rounding, but a kilobyte is 1024 bytes because 2^10=1024, not 1000. Microsoft didn't make up a new definition of measuring data capacity.

The1 wrote:

so youve lost 5GB just from formating, then once you install windows it will use say another 5GB for drive information and fat or ntfs table information, also space for system restore and lots of other information.

So in essence your 200GB hard drive is a 200GB hard drive it's just cause microsoft takes so much space for hidden information for windows and because of the way microsoft format a hard drive.

And that's just incorrect. There are "hidden" files in your Windows folders, but that is just an attribute. They are not actually on a hidden partition or some hidden section of the drive.
  • The1
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

lucassix wrote:
Um. No.

It is because of rounding, but a kilobyte is 1024 bytes because 2^10=1024, not 1000. Microsoft didn't make up a new definition of measuring data capacity.

The1 wrote:

And that's just incorrect. There are "hidden" files in your Windows folders, but that is just an attribute. They are not actually on a hidden partition or some hidden section of the drive.

System Volume Information folder contains system restore information and it is a hidden folder on each drive. Also recycle bin has a hidden folder on each drive.

That's what i just stated with the rounding, hard drive manufactures go by 1000 and everything else uses 1024

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts