2500+ Overclock

• Ju
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Ju
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi everyone

I have recently purchased a PC Chips M848A DDR400 mainboard into which I have installed an AMD 2500+ Barton and 512MB Crucial DDR400 RAM (CL3).

I had read reviews and forums all the over the place that basically said it was possible to up the FSB of the mainboard to 200Mhz, thereby effectively turning the 2500+ into a 3200+, all with no extra cooling other than stock. I tried this, and to be honest, was not really surprised when XP would not boot.
So I settled for a slightly smaller overclock... FSB 195 (AMD 3000+). CPU Core Voltage is locked at 1.62V as my mainboard does not offer the option to change it.

Windows booted up nicely, and all was well...for about 5 minutes. Then Windows locked up.

"Fine", I thought "Let's take it down a few more pegs".

So that I did...FSB set to 185 (AMD 2800+). That was good...for about 10 minutes. Then Windows locked up. Again.

Down another few notches...FSB 175 (AMD 2600+). Hardly any performance increase over the default 166Mhz FSB, but worth it all the same I guess. But that wasn't to be either...more random lockups and general tantrums.
The issue, as I soon found out, was nothing to do with excess CPU heat...I monitored this constantly throughout and it never ever went above 45 C...the lockups were not during CPU intensive periods anyway...just randomly in Windows.

The PC is absolutely 100% stable when FSB is at 166Mhz, can stay switched on for weeks at a time without crashing, will test OK in all benchmarks and diagnostics and will play games for hours on end. Anything above 166Mhz FSB and it gets stroppy.

My question is basically this:

Is there any way I can overclock my AMD 2500+? As I understand it, the multiplier is locked, so I'm probably going to be looking at pin mods or bridge cuts or something. Does anyone have any advice, tips or guides that may help me (and others?) on their way?

Sorry that was a little long-winded...!
Hope you can help

Kind regards,
Ju :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i cant help you with your question but i understand what you are saying about the 2500+ i read some reviews saying that its the same as 3200+ when over clocked.
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Welcome To, Crazy World!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your processer is just getting too hot too fast.. You continue to do this and it will burn up.. The cpu was set to it's speed for a reason.. If you are going to double clock than you need to go out and buy a bad ass cpu cooler.. Get Cooler Master Jet 7 or Aero 7 Lite... Get anything Cooler Master... They own.. But also, from what I hear, AMD do not do too well on overclocking.. Intel usually are good processors to do it to.. But, Intel suck AMD own..
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes, get better cooling..

amd is good for gaming, intel is good for notepad, *grins

lol.. no, well, its also best, if you take out heat adaptive things inside the case.. that may create heat..
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

.... But "it never ever went above 45 C". (Mine runs windows at 61C and games a bit more)

IMO I dont think 1.62V is enough and would aim for 1.64. I would however ask in a overclocking forum.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

it has been known that some motherboard temp readings can be wrong sometimes.
  • Ju
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Ju

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've got a monster cooler already - Coolermaster Silent, with 80mm fan - supposed to be good up to 3200+. Also got a nice big case, with 4 case fans and good airflow.

I understand about cooling and whatnot, but it just seems a little odd that it becomes unstable at even the slightest FSB overclock...surely this shouldn't happen?

:?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Usefull hint, NEVER start at the top & work down with overclocking, jump the values UP a little at a time from the default & test stability before raising it again.

You can always raise it again if it's stable, you can't get it back if you fry it :wink:
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you go to any overclocking forum they would say your voltage is not hight enough!!!
  • KRAYS
  • Born
  • Born
  • KRAYS

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have the same motherboard (PCCHIPS M848A) with an AMD Athlon XP 2800+ and 1GB DDR333. I set the core / mem ratio to 5:4 and set the cpu frequency to 176 with the memory frequency at 220...I now have a stable overclock from 2.0 to 2.2GHz, which in the BIOS reads as a 3200+. I have tried to OC the cpu a bit more but unsuccessfully...If you try to clock it too high you wont even see POST, and if you actually do get through POST usually windows will lockup. I'm assuming it has something to do with the fact that the AMD 3200+ is the best CPU this old Socket A board will recognize. Good luck, and hopefully my information helps you get a little further.
  • Sysqhawk
  • Born
  • Born
  • Sysqhawk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I may be a little behind the curve but I have just installed a [well used] 2500 on a new PCchips 848A and am very impressed.
I bumped the fsb 166 to 170, 175, 180, 185 and chkd [Sisoft Sandra] PR ratings and temps as I went. I noticed that these bios also bumped the DDR 333 [Kingston] as I bumped the fsb.
I also had to modify a heat sink and fan to larger sync and faster fan.
I always set up the board on a bench before installing and noticed a difference in fan speed after installation. On the bench w 320W pwr after installation w 450W pwr. Fan RPM went from 4.8k to 5.1k.

I will have to reinstall in a larger case [more air space] and use a better cooler with a case fan as well. The temps are running too high .... 63c, but this machine runs very smooth with quick crisp changes between functions. That is one reason I stopped at fsb 185/370.
PS: I got this on Ebay a year ago so have no idea how many hrs are on it...............
  • crave420fubar
  • Born
  • Born
  • crave420fubar

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm taking one of these M848A's to college to fry the 1.4 duron or mobo. Open to suggestions on it as I am looking at using a super cooling method like liquid nitrogen and see if we can quadruple the CPU speed. Note: the primary EIDE channel is FUBARed and hence the burn baby burn project.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts