2x512mb or 1x1gb?

• Spyro
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Spyro

Post 3+ Months Ago

i just brought a new notebook, and it come with 256mb ram, but i'm thinking upgrade it to 1gb.
i have 2 slot for ram, now i don't know should i buy 2x512mb or 1x1gb.
i want to buy 1x1gb is because maybe some day i will like to upgrade it to 2gb, so that all i have to do is buy another 1x1gb.
but someone told me, it's no good to use only one slot of ram, he said it's better to use two of the slot at the same time, better buy 2x512.
is it true?
or i can just buy 1gb and put in one slot, leave blank on another slot?

• tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: England!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your thinking about upgrading to 2gb in the future then its probably best getting 1 x 1gb. Check your notebook will work with 2gb tho first.
  • NuAngel
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Erie, PA, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

1x1GB is always BETTER, if you can afford it. It's just kind of expensive. That is usually the only reason people typically go with a 2xX setup.

Nu
  • Spyro
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Spyro

Post 3+ Months Ago

so it won't do any harm to my computer if i leave one slot blank and put 1gb in another slot right?

one last question, can i use 1gb in one slot and use 256mb in another?
that guy selling me ram told me, better to use 2 same number of ram at the same time...
is it true or i can put in what ever i want and sure it won't do any demage to my computer?

thanks all :D
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

it will not harm your computer when useing 2 ram sticks.. if they are diffrent speeds then it will only go as fast as the lowest speed..
ex:
1gb 3200 and a 256mb at 2700 this will make the 1gb run at 2700.. so do some shoping and get a high speed that you can.
  • tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: England!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also yes you can leave one slot blank.
  • NuAngel
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just for reference: you can leave a space empty unless it's one of those P3's with 'rambus RAM' - then you'll need a continuity chip.

But for a notebook, you should be A-OK!
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you have both slots filled, wont it run in dual channel mode?
  • Albert_chu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Albert_chu

Post 3+ Months Ago

theres no problem at all with leaving a blank slot. id say go with the 1x 1gig ram so that u can add another one later =]
  • NuAngel
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

think.correctly wrote:
if you have both slots filled, wont it run in dual channel mode?

A) We don't know enough about the notebook to know if it'll do "dual channel" - and dual channel is a benefit to those who HAVE to run 2xDIMM's, but if you can only run ONE chip, it's probably best. Dual channel is just a way to overcome some of the fact that you're running 2 chips.

Nu
  • hiryux
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

as far as running two different size RAMs (like 256 and 512 at same time), as long as their speeds are the same, I don't think you should have any problem. I'm running in such setup at this moment in my laptop and it is working nicely. I don't know what would be the issue, if there is to be one.
  • limbo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • limbo
  • Loc: Pitcairn Island

Post 3+ Months Ago

how about mixing different ram brands?
  • business opportunities
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • business opportunities
  • Loc: Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Different ram brands shouldn't make a difference. I am using 3 brands in my desktop with no problems, though sometimes if you use different brands of ram, the order which they sit in your machine is important - unfortunately you can only figure that out by trial and error.
  • MrWhite777
  • Born
  • Born
  • MrWhite777

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your motherboard supports Dual Chanel DDR would be better to use 2*512mb modules to 20-30% incrase memory bandwidth speed.
  • stealthmode
  • stealthmode
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

The golden rule about RAM is always use the same type and brand as too many computers I fix are due to people installing different brands and model numbers.
When I run there computers with one stick it runs fine.
You may be lucky to get away with different brands but my experience tells me not to go down that road as I make a lot of money from people who do this and start getting errors weeks later.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts