4850/4870 or 9800GTX+

• mameemonster
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mameemonster

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys,
as the title states, im in dilemma between the three graphics card..9800GTX+, 4850 and 4870..

After analyzing a few benchmarks, i've found that the 9800GTX+ wins over 4850 although it only won slightly, it again wins in price by costing $20 less than the 4850. (its a small amount but cmon its still $$ right)

You would think that my decision would pretty much be final (9800gtx+).. but by adding another $100 i can get a 4870.. which seems to be a very good card (was pretty much compared with the GTX260, and was pretty much on equal stand)..

THE REAL QUESTION :::: IF you were me, which would you purchase? (4870 pretty much kills the budget, but it seems like the extra $100 is worth it)

NOTE: will not be using SLI or Xfire.

And sorry.. :oops: one more question... what are the difference with the sizes of the graphics card? i mean 512 compared to 1 GB? is there really that much difference? when the size increased from 512 to 1 GB the price increased by $40 +.. if you/ i did choose the 9800GTX+ or the 4850 is wise to go with the 1GB? NOTE screen resolution which ill be using is 1280 x 1024.

any commentss are appreciated! thank you for your time
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

well the first question I would ask is what are you planning to use the card for? (daily computer use?, gaming?, video production?, 3D/Cad?) That will make the biggest difference with how much card you need vs the money.
  • mameemonster
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mameemonster

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey graphixboy, its going to be an every-day computer, parents browsing the net, documenting etc. and of course gaming for me, id like to be able to play the newer games at this moment such as, prince of persia, rise of the argonauts,red alert 3, and im also hoping that it would be able to run some upcoming games such as diablo and the starcraft 2..
  • Daniel Saltman
  • Born
  • Born
  • Daniel Saltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have 9800 GTX+ and I can play COD5 on full blast at 1650 resolution. I don't play many other games. I can almost run Crysis on full blast with no lag.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

To be honest I think you would be fine with the games you've specified and the 9800+ gtx. But it seems to me that you already know what you want despite the $100 extra cost. So if it's affirmation you're looking for, then go ahead and get the 4870. =)
  • mameemonster
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mameemonster

Post 3+ Months Ago

thnx a lot to everyones reply! =]
  • Absynth
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Absynth
  • Loc: mcallen texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

bfg gtx295 x3 OC, FTW!
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

9800 gx2 is better than 9800 gtx for hardly anything more. and the 2 newewst nvidia cards arn't all theyr made out to be. the 280 gtx is still the leader for nvidia. with a single 280 gtx you can run crysis with sensible (no 16x AA) settings at about 70 fps. of course the other components are of importance, if you are upgrading a "work computer" then it's likely there will be bottlenecks in the ram speed / cpu speed and bus speeds that mean getting an expensive gpu isn't helpful

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts