• Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey guys!
well i have gotten' into overclocking :P
i think the idea is great fun, so i started with my graphics card, i have a
chaintech gforce fx5200/ultra 128mb agp8x
i managed to overclock it easily, but it did not go far
perhaps it was becuase of the cooling, when i had a look at the cooling on my card it only seemed to have a black type grid on it, no fan like you see on most modern graphics cards. i was able to push the frequencies to: 291/417mhz
is that a good overclock, although i have seen that ppl online have been able to push the ultra version much further than that.
if i were to buy a cooler for my card like this
http://www.web-systems.co.uk/?page=Products&pid=636
would i expect a better overclock?
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you thought about using refrigeration as a means of cooling the entire system. Then you could overclock the graphics card, memory, and cpu. I'm not sure how much the refrigeration systems cost, but I have seen one or two around. Just a thought, enjoy :D
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

That fan duct cooler won't do much but it will hep a bit, what you really need is to replace the whole heatsink with an active one, or take a small 60mm fan and attach it to the current heat sink, also you may not be getting best results if your ram isn't touching the heatsink, in which case I would recommend buying RAM heat sinks. Try http://www.bestbyte.net for some cooling options.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

b_heyer your site you just gave says its in development. Nothing is there.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

oops! fixed it, sorry!
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, the most i have done to my comp is put a new graphics card in. actually replacing a heatsink.... :shock: a little advice maybe :roll:
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

hrmm, well if you don't want to replace the heatsink...

Are you getting artifacts or hangups?

Artifacts are the random colored polygons and they are normally a memory problem, to fix that I would buy some thermal tape and some of these: http://www.bestbyte.net/Product.cfm?Pro ... 6&Keyword=

If it is hanging up, I would recommend replacing the heatsink, or adding a 60mm fan, because hangups normal occur when the chip gets too hot. You could try one of these:
http://www.bestbyte.net/Product.cfm?Pro ... 6&Keyword=
as they have a "universal clip for both nVidia...." so it won't be to hard to replace the current heat sink with that, just remove the old one from the clips, wipe off the old thermal paste (if any) apply new thermal paste, then set up the heat sink.

Hope that helps.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

thx alot, when i got to overclock the new drivers have a "auto detect" setting that allows the chip to auto overclock its self to a safe place, but i would like it to go surther, bear in mind i am in uk so the websites u gave dont really help me ;) u know a uk website where i can get them?
when i do a manual overclock i begin to see purple bits on the screen, but if i got past the safe overclock (sometimes) on games i see that is kinda freezes, then it comes back on again, a few seconds l8r, a bit anoying when u r trying to kill some1 on mohaas, so does that mean a bit of both, could i use both of thoses products on my card?, for maximum cooling?
  • custommadename
  • Born
  • Born
  • custommadename

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your card is not an ultra. The girlfriend FX5200 Ultra speeds are 325/650, and your card seems to have either started at 250/333, the 64-bit ram version (cheapest FX 5200) or 250/400, the mid-range FX 5200.

However, I don't understand how you couldn't overclock 400MHz ram past 417MHz, so I believe it is perhaps the cheapest FX 5200. That's not bad, but don't expect to overclock the video card. Remember that you also may have low CAS latencies for the ram, which is 333MHz or 400MHz, and that means that you have to decrease the timings to overclock more than 460MHz or so.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 8:10 pm Post subject: fx 5200 overclock advice

i now have a faster machine and a 6800NU OC'd with 16 pipes and 6 vertex units... so a slightly crippled 6800gt :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts