5th build. fualty hardware?

• EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Under Your Bed

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is my 5th build and the first time i've ever had a problem like this (lucky me :lol: ) when ever i turn on the comuter, it doent do anything. if i restart it, it beeps really loud every 2 or three seconds. nothing on screen. did i do someting wrong? or is something faulty? like my motherboard?
  • tejasxp
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • tejasxp
  • Loc: Singapore

Post 3+ Months Ago

You must check your motherboard manual what error those beeps stand for. Each kind of beep-sequences stand for some error (like faulty RAM, processor etc)
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you connect ALL power connecters that you needed to. Some motherboards have a special PCI-E power connecter ont he motherboard. Some video cards require extra power, etc... That's the #1 reason why a new build doesn't work

#2 is you either didn't seat or messed up the memory.

#3 is you hit the mobo with a screwdriver when putting on the cpu cooler

#4 is you bent the motherboard too much trying to wrangle it into the case.

Then there is also, the cooler isn't on properly, you have a USB header mis-connected, you have cards not seated correctly, or the front panel connections aren't correctly installed.
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well i did hit the mobo when i was putting the cpu cooler on but it didnt even ake a scratch. The mobo didnt come with a manual Even though it said it would. its a nforce2 mobo thats for sure. i did pluge the power into the graphics card. i checked my front usb its fine and i dont have my front audio hooked up. (to much of a hassle)

is there anyway to find my motherboard maual online? i dont remember what web site i bought it from cuzz i lost the web page.

and its an AGP mobo
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

i thnk i put the CPU cooler on right...and also the CPU gets quite worm very fast... can feel it on the copper heatsink
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Who makes the motherboard? Are there any markings or printings on the board itself that would reveal a model # or manufacturer?

Most mobo makers put the maker logo and the model of the board between two PCI slots.
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

..... well there are two but i dont think they are what im looking for...

#1 *0050709A41B3*

#2 *0050709A41B4*
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Would something like that be on the back? (i would really rather not do that unless I absolutly have to
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try to find an FCC ID if you can, you can usually find the maker from that.
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont know What a FCC ID is but it doesnt look like thers anything there. If theres no other way..then that sux
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have a digital camera, take a picture at the highest resolution you can get and post a link to it in here. Maybe some more experienced eyes can pick out the make and model for you. Also, use "edit post" instead of double and triple posting please.
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

here are some of the pics i took. i'll get better quality ones in a week when i get my digi cam

http://www.freewebs.com/picolata/computerpics.htm

PS i took out the video card to get better pics.
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Really can't tell much from those pictures, they're too grainy. One thing to try is go to a very minimal hardware configuration. If you have some older components that you know work, try swapping out the new stuff with the old stuff. Basically you want to try every combination and eliminate components as part of the problem.

Also, this is going to sound crazy, but try building your computer outside the case on a non-conductive surface. Put in your CPU, CPU fan, 1 stick of ram, and a video card, nothing more. Connect the power supply to the motherboard and your monitor to the video card, nothing more. Get a flat head screwdriver and bridge the pins where you would normally connect your power switch to the motherboard.

If that works, then you have a grounding issue in your case. Things to try if it works outside your case: Reseat your motherboard, keep shifting it slightly to try clearing it of any contact except at the screw holes. Make sure there's nothing underneath the motherboard that would be causing this. From your picture, you may want to buy some zip ties and tie up your cabling to insure that they stay clear of the air path and your fans. If you still can't get the grounding issue to go away, most motherboards come with a really nice piece of static-free foam in the box. Cut holes in that where the screws need to line up with your case, and screw the motherboard down with the foam in between your board and the case.

There's just a few things to try. Hopefully this is a grounding issue and not a hardware failure... those suck to isolate when you have all new components.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts