HP 610 printer error

• getheledout
  • getheledout

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am installing a HP digital copier 610 and whenever i plug it in, i get the add new hardware prompt for "Generic IEEE 1284.4 printer support". I cant find any drivers for it on the printer cd, on the internet, or on the windows cd. If anyone has heard of this or has any suggestions please post.

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

The IEEE 1284.4 Protocol is what is used by Windows 2000 and up to print over USB. It should be installed automaticly the first time you attach a printer via USB. I don't know what OS you are running, but if it is XP, make sure you have installed Service Pack 1, which contains updated USB 2.0 support. Also, ensure that you have installed the USB drivers for your motherboard.
  • getheledout
  • getheledout

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the reply lucassix,

I got it working. Somebody had previously installed the wrong thing, all I had to do was uninstall it and install the printer drivers correctly.
Thanks though.

Later
  • jmb
  • Born
  • Born
  • jmb

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am having the exact same problem with an HP PSC 1215. Can you tell me what was installed incorrectly or first that caused it to fail?
  • Laurieab
  • Born
  • Born
  • Laurieab

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is the instructions for reconciling the generic ieee 1284.4 printing support problem......

Then, here's how to uninstall the parallel connection you currently have:

1. Right click on My Computer. Select Properties, Hardware, then Device Manager.

2. Check to see if the printer is listed under "other devices" It may be listed as an "unknown device". If it is here, uninstall it by right clicking on it and selecting "uninstall".

3. Check to see if the printer is listed under "IEEE". If so, uninstall it as well (right click on it, select Uninstall).

4. In the Device Mgr, right click on the top icon and select "scan for hardware changes".

5. When the New Hardware Found message appears, select "search for a suitable driver for my device (recommended)".

6. If you have the XP PhotoSmart driver CD, select CD-ROM drives. If you don't have the CD (you have the downloaded version), select "specify a location" and direct it to folder you downloaded the driver to -- c:\temp\photosmart is the default.

7. Follow the instructions on the screen to install your driver.

Note: The "found new hardware" wizard may run up to three times to install components of the printer.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts