about to buy a laptop. want some opinions

• roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: BKNY

Post 3+ Months Ago

so i'm looking to get a sweet machine to do my freelance work on...
but i haven't got a ridiculous amount of dollars to make it happen...
but i want it to last...
but... i could go on for days...

i'm currently thinking of getting an Asus Z83V...
with a 2.0GHz Pentium M proc
2Gb RAM (2x1Gb DDR2-4200)
80 GB 5400rpm HDD
PCI Express ATI x700 128MB
DVDRW
Bluetooth, a/b/g

there's a store in the south selling 'em for $1735 on e-bay (including shipping)... seems like a believable, but good, deal to me.

does this sound reasonable? anything else i should be considering for this kind of money?

my needs are something that can handle a lot of graphics work... everything from websites to posters... and maybe even a little video here and there... i don't play games or anything like that, but i'd like to be able to work with large images on a regular basis...

yeah... that's that...

on a side note, i'm toying with the idea of installing the ubuntu linux distro on it and see how that works for me...

so, yeah, as someone who wants to make this investment be a really good one, i'd greatly appreciate any and all comments

thanks in advance
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've got a feeling the Intel based Apple stuff is going to be great for image work, not sure on that, but a thought none the less.

I went through a few configurators I found through Pricewatch, the price you mentioned is give/take $30 from the average without shipping for that setup.
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert,

thanks for the reply. not only did you offer an opinion, but you actually did some research. that's awesome.

i'd love to rock out an apple, but for a comparable system (refurbished), it'd be roughly 500$ more and i really don't want to do that right now... maybe in a year or two when i've come up some more ;)

shoot... at work, i've got a dual proc g5 and it's amazingly consistent with doing all kinds of graphics, photo, etc. stuff... but it also cost something like 2500$ for a desktop...

you don't know, by any chance, when apple plans on releasing another laptop line, do ya?

yeah, and it's not too wild a deal, but it's decent and, at this point in my life, i'm not looking for the deep risky discounts, you know...

does that make sense?
any other suggestions?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

roarmeow wrote:
you don't know, by any chance, when apple plans on releasing another laptop line, do ya?

Ironicly, yesterday an Intel laptop was announced. :D
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/ja ... okpro.html
http://www.apple.com/pr/
Looks like Apple jumped the gun, previous estimes I've seen were in mid 2006, not January. Though thoose estimates didn't come right from the horses mouth (Jun, 2005).

I say if you like the place the setup you posted comes from, go for it.
Though, if your current system can last you awhile longer, thoose Ap-tels should be worth keeping an eye on while the bank pays intrest. ;)
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

aww, man... i really didn't want to spend over 2G's on this machine...

and now you made me look at those macbooks... and, really... there's puddle of drool around my feet :lol:... not to mention that now apple's taking pre-orders...

thinking of waiting til i've got a little more dough and ordering up the more expensive one through a graduate student friend of mine... 'cos really... a laptop with a (sort of) dual core, 100gb hdd, 1gb of ram built in, expandable to 2... mmm...

and i've never really been an apple person, but that machine at work has got me talking backwards... never really took the time to mess with them before... blazing fast with graphics, unix terminal, beautiful design... yeah...

i think you just made me 500$ poorer, joebert :P...
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

For work I'm getting the HP TC4200 Tablet PC comes preconfigured with the Pentium M 750, and 512Mb of PC2-3200. I'm going to upgrade it to 2048Mb of PC2-4200 and the Intel Pentium M 760. Unfortunately it only comes with an 80Gb hdd. But as soon as I find out the exact type of hard drives it needs I'll grab a 100Gber.

Unfortunately you can't customize the system when ordering it through the asset management system. But you can always create a second requisition and order all the bells and whistles you want! Keep the other parts as spares to fix other machines.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts