Access Points

• monsieur_le_christophe
  • Student
  • Student
  • monsieur_le_christophe
  • Loc: Wales, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi - I'm sure this is a very basic question, but can anyone help with it please?

A friend has a DSL modem/router providing a wired office network with an internet connection. They want to be able to use their laptop throughout the building. They already own a Linksys access point - if this is connected to a LAN socket on the router, can the laptop (which has a wireless card) connect to the network with no other hardware, or is a wireless router/P2P ICS required?

Cheers!
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nope, your fine from what I can gather from your post.

The Wireless Access Point will connect to the wireless card on the laptop and if the settings are correct, you will be able to access the internet and the local lan.
  • monsieur_le_christophe
  • Student
  • Student
  • monsieur_le_christophe

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the response - just to clarify - this would be the setup.

Laptop
|
|
| <--Wireless
|
|
Access Point
|
|
| <-- Wired
|
|
Modem / Router
|
Internet

Would you assign an SSID to the AP which the laptop could then connect to?

Thanks again.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Make an SSID but Windows will automatically connect to those WAP's that have SSID broadcast enabled overiding all settings for those that have the SSID boradcast disabled. Microsoft notes that this is by design and that turning off the AP's SSID boradcast has no real security advantage.

I agree partly with that. Disabling the SSID can be just enough to keep the less-intelligent hackers who know just enough to be dangerous away. It's a deterent for those without a WiFi scanner. However, someone who knows what they are doing can still find the SSID and link to the network.

Make sure you have a good security protocol on the AP. I prefer WPA-PSK AES encryption. However some things only support WEP, and others that do support WPA-PSK only support the TKIP encryption. Most companies however include the software as an update for their products to support AES as its gained popularity. So in short, if you are able to use WPA-PSK AES then use it.
  • monsieur_le_christophe
  • Student
  • Student
  • monsieur_le_christophe

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep - that's worked fine with WEP thanks!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts