Accidentally partitoned external HD - How do I recover data?

• ynyfrik
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ynyfrik
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys,

I have a Western Digital 80 Gb External Hard Drive that I forgot to disconnect from my computer while I was Reinstalling windows, So as I was deleting the multiple partitions I wasn't paying attention to what I was deleting at the end i noticed two two unpartitioned spaces left and I noticed they where on different drives so i stopped the reinstallation. Anyways Now I am connecting the external drive to my laptop and it doesn't show up My computer, But gives me the icon to remove it safely(win xp).
Is there any way of recovering the stuff (mostly photos) on the drive ?

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You'll probably need third party recovery software.
  • ynyfrik
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ynyfrik

Post 3+ Months Ago

The thing is, is that windows doesn't recognise it as a drive since the partition is gone(i think). so i can't point the software to what to undelete or recover.

What does it mean that i deleted the partition? Is the data gone ?

What would happen if i were to take out the drive and put it in the computer would windows recognise it as drive? Could i do something from there?

P.s. Its conected through usb.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's already been a couple conversations about external hard drive not being recognized. Also try this search and see if it helps any. I would try to help more but I'm about off for bed. I'll look back in tomorrow.
  • ynyfrik
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ynyfrik

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I took out the hard drive and stuck it into my computer and nothing in my ''My Computer'' shows up.
I went to Western Digital's website And downloaded Data Lifeguard tools< http://support.wdc.com/download/index.a ... d=4&swid=1 >. Installed it and reboot just in case, and started the program, It starts scanning for drives..pop up = "found a drive that has not been yet setup for your system, would you like to set up ?" I click yes and a window pops up:

Select how you would like to set up the drive WDC WD800BB-00FJA0. To proceed with the default settings, click Next.

Installation Type —
(• Add the drive as an additional storage device.!
(• Add the drive as the new boot device.
(•) Select this box if you want to change advanced options

Advanced setup option | Option description
(•)Custom partition Allows you to choose the number, size, and type of partitions to be created.

Cancel | Next

I am afraid to do anything because I don't know if this program by adding a partition deletes all the data (if its still there).

I have found a program called Undo Delete < http://www.undodelete.com/ >it says "retrieve files that were lost by deleting partitions".
The thing is, Is i can't navigate it too the drive to use the program. If I could only mount it.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Use the Data Lifeguard thing and Add the drive as an additional storage device.

Then use undodelete to hopefully recover your data.

Keep in mind you may not get anything back.
  • ynyfrik
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ynyfrik

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there any linux solution maybe?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

ynyfrik wrote:
Anyways Now I am connecting the external drive to my laptop and it doesn't show up My computer, But gives me the icon to remove it safely(win xp).
Is there any way of recovering the stuff (mostly photos) on the drive ?
Thanks

I just noticed this part of your origional post.

With the drive connected right click My Computer and select manage.
Click on Disk Management.
In the right hand pane towards the bottom you will see your drives.
Is one listed without a drive letter? If so right click it and select change drive letter and path and give it a drive letter.
  • ynyfrik
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ynyfrik

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
Is one listed without a drive letter? If so right click it and select change drive letter and path and give it a drive letter.

There is no drive letter on it and I don't have that option to change the drive letter.
I Only have :
New Partition... | Properties | Help
  • ynyfrik
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ynyfrik

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok I started copying the data from the drive onto a separate 200 gb drive with a program called Stellar Phoenix FAT & NTFS, the thing i don't get is that the 80gb partitionless dive has 203 gb of files and folders according to the program. But at least I am getting the stuff back
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the update. Glad you got it sorted.
  • Judy000
  • Born
  • Born
  • Judy000

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suggest you use Partition Table Doctor to resolve your problem.The software provides very useful functions:
Backup partition table, Restore partition table, Rebuild
partition table, undelete partition, Fix boot sector,
rebuild mbr,etc.
See more: http://www.ptdd.com
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

Guys, i want to contribute as well.

I have expereinced same problem as yours. I installed a 5 MB software that really save my ass from my bosses wrath. It recovers files from fully reformatted hard drive. even jump drives that has a corrupted boot sector. so you may hit me on my email ynyfrik and ill send you the program. you may install it on other PC and plug that externall harddrive with data to salvage. the software will scan the entire drive (without your OS even recognizing it). Try. I just wanted to help. (maybe we can ask moderators to give you my email so it cannot be posted in public)..

Prayer: Moderators, i know what i am going to do (sharing of software) violates the ethical standard of this furom, but i pray for you to look the other way around for awhile sometimes so i could help....

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts