Acer Travelmate 4001LMi -- Weird Powerup Problem

• IanNewt
  • Born
  • Born
  • IanNewt

Post 3+ Months Ago

My Acer Travelmate 4001LMi started to have the following symtoms:

I am using this laptop with the AC charger connected and the battery installed.

While using the trackpad (with no mouse attached), the system would freeze -- cursor stops moving, no response from any keys or the trackpad; forced shutdown by holding down the power button.

When attempting to restart, I press the power button and it illuminates for about one second, but then nothing happens and the power led turns off. I try this repeatedly, but I get the same result. Finally, the power comes on and stays on. However, at some point during the startup sequence, after the Windows XP (home) has appeared, the system freezes again.

Now, here is the weird part... if I connect a mouse to a USB port, then when it agrees to start up it works apparently normally, as long as I don't use the trackpad. After a couple of hours, if I disconnect the mouse and use the trackpad, there is no problem.

If I shut the machine off, then the power button problem is still present, whether the mouse is connected or not. When it finally powers on, as long as the mouse is connected, it works normally.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Start with the device manager and the event viewer. Look at both of them for conflicts and errors.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts