Adding ports : Stacking Switches or Daisy Chain

• devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do I just get better transfer speeds between stacked switches than I do daisy chained?

Daisy chain, I mean, going out the "main" switch with a CAT5 and into a port on "additional" switch which of course will make the open ports "live".

Stacking would be using the HDMI ports to "stackup" or "stackdown".

We are slowly growing so I'm trying to decide whether to go ahead and get another 24 port switch and stack them or to just pick up a small 8-port switch and just chain it because 7 (8 minus 1 for uplink) ports would do us for a while and its a difference in hundreds of dollars.

Please advise. Should we just go ahead and shell out the money and get another 24 port stackable switch and just stack them or should I just use one of the 24 ports and link to small 8-port switch??
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

when it comes to network hardware there is a few things to keep in mind that i think of personally.

1) What is the transfer rate between each item? Will one transfer faster then the other and give better speeds?

2) If that little extra money goes to a faster transfer then it is usually worth it if your going to use that device a lot. So if your going to use it a lot then put the little extra in and get that better performance.

Now the different switches u were asking well depends how many network cables your going to need. If you need a small hub in the corner of the house then go the smaller one and link it up.

Just put fibre on everything and no worries on network speed anymore :P
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Option 2 is what keeps going through my mind. It's not a little extra money in the difference between getting another 24 port PoE Stackable managed switch that is compatible with our current one or just getting a desktop switch and linking out of port to give my patch panel some more ports. I just didn't know if the difference between stacking and daisy chain boiled down to just straight transfer speeds. I would really rather prefer getting another stackable switch and going ahead and expanding our network to 48. I agree that's the ideal route so I will pitch it to get it approved. If anyone else wants to weigh in as I know there's threads specific to daisy chaining but none really on substituting daisy chaining with stacking or vice versa. Thanks for your response.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

o.k i been doing some research so i can actually answer your question.

Now after looking at examples for both setups i think stacking is the way to go with your setup, looks like it will be easier to administrate and setup. Also it is a standard setup too with most networks so looks like stacking is the way to go.

Really depends how you want/need to setup, personally run some cables to the switch and have everyone talking gets the job done. So why not stick to what works.

But if you want to have some fun you can chain it up but i don't see much point in doing that over a stack setup.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts