Adding RAM

• katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys,
I've been wanting to upgrade my RAM for a while now to 1GB from 512MB. At present, I have 2x 256 GB DDR chips. I have 4 RAM slots available, so is it possible to run different sizes/makes of RAM at the same time?
I was thinking to buy 2x512MB chips and run them along side the existing 256 chips, or should I get another 2 256's? Is it ok to run different brands of RAM (I was thinking of buying Corsair)?
What is the maximum amount of RAM a system can handle?

My system is a Fujitsu Siemens 2.66GHz P4.

I'd appreciate any help on this (I'm hopeless when it comes to hardware :D),
Cheers,
Darren.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Running different types of RAMs can be done, but it's sketchy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You also need to look at the RAM speeds. RAM runs at the speed of the slowest module, so make sure you buy RAM of the same speed. Corsair is a great brand, but like I said, running different brands of RAM in the same system doesn't always work. The amount of RAM your computer can handle will be specified in your motheboard's instruction manual.

If you could tell me the exact specifications of your computer (motherboard, processor, ram, etc.) I might be able to help more.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

cpu-z is a good tool for find ing that out, mobo, cpu, and ram
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah thats true my pc is kinda gay but it has 4 slots two are ddr and the other two are sd ram i was told to go with ddr because it is faster mine runs from PC 2100 memmory but is also backwards compatable with pc 2700 memmory if you have ur motherboard book it would come in handy because it would telll you exactly what will work with ur motherboard mine is a unknown brand i think its from intel its called a U 8668 Grand it will also tell you the max amount of ram you can have like mine will only allow 2 GB ram with the two DDR slots
  • risingsun
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

dude thats crazy, ive never heard of a MB with two types of ram on it. nuts NUTZ
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

To answer your question, I recommend running 2 more 256 MB modules with what you already have. I would try to find RAM of the same speed and brand, and if possible, the same exact components. This way you can be sure your RAM won't malfunction and you are splitting up the workload between 4 separate modules, allowing for better cooling and theoretically, higher speeds.
  • katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I'm going to forget the 256's and put in to 512's at the moment, and maybe 2 more at a later date. I'm thinking of buying Corsair 1024 TwinX XMS 4000 chips:
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=6612&GroupID=56
Do you think this will be ok? Do I have "dual-access channels"?

PS, my comp is a Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo 600 with a GA 81SXT motherboard, with 4 DDR channels, not 2 as listed on some websites.
  • katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Shameless Bump :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts