AMD AM2

• Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

i don't know if anyone posted about this yet, but i'm just curious on everyone's opinions on AMD AM2? Just getting a few for it since there's not much on the net about it, maybe some of you guys know more about it.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. AM2 has a release date of this June/July.
  2. Supports DDR2
  3. Socket 940
  4. Mobos will only be an extra £5/10 [ $20 US ]
  5. Compatible with current Socket 939 HSF
  6. Built on 90nm process
  7. FX-62 will have 4Mb L3 Cache
  8. Most AM2 CPU's will have at least 2MB L2 Cache

There isn't currently a great deal to read about the AM2 CPU's. Most of the talk is about the release date(s). There was a showing of the AM2 at CES and there are a few articles on the Inquirer and AMDZone.
  • Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

so 939 socket cpu's will work on the new mobo's?
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

no, the heatsink fans will. the new am2 socket is socket 940 [think opteron] and will work only on newer 940 boards
  • Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm running:

amd 64 4000
asus a8n-sli premium
Geil 512mb * 4 dual

is there any reason i should upgrade to am2 in the future? or is it mainly for servers and big time multitaskers? That's what i think of when i hear opteron. or is it for gamers?
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, i dont know if its for gamers or not.
the am2 will be dual core, with tons o' cache. the dual core nature of these procs leads me to think that it is for ehavy multitaskers, and eventually it will be for gamers [when games become multi-threaded]
however, the new fx-60 is a dual core processor and the "fx" moniker is somewhat synonymous with the gaming aspect of processors, so i do imagine it will be for gaming as well. i dont think there is any reason to upgrade to am2 in the future as you have an above average system, and the only reason you would need to upgrade, would be if you had an immense amount of of money [in which case i would be more than happy to relieve you of that burden]

think about it this way, you'll have to get a new mobo, processor, and a new hsf.

see anandtech article

Quote:
Whenever the launch happens, those moving to AM2 will at a minimum need a new processor for a new Socket 940, new DDR2 memory to replace existing DDR memory for Athlon 64, and a new or revised heatsink/fan cooling solution.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will be changing to AM2 as soon as possible, probably wait a few months after the launch to get the kit once the FABs have got the process down nicely.
  • Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

you should and then get windows vista!
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

with the drm theyre talking about. i do not think so.
  • Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

what do you mean? please elaborate..
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

<RANT>
DRM stands for Digital Rights Management. It is a bunch of pot-smoking, coke-snorting, vodka drinking, pure O2 inhaling lazy pieces of dog feces who don't like people trading their buzz-tickets for free on the internet. Especially when someone else did all the hard work.

I mean come-the-*plum*-on man. What I hate worse is the billions of dollars being spent on stopping 13yr old spanky trading Christine Aguilera songs on the internet with his similarly-chaffed palm friends while we have Men and Women who protect this country who CAN'T GET A MOTHERF*&#&# BULLET PROOF VEST! Because some piece of DIRT politician wants to cut Military Spending to fund his own COKE and PROSTITUTE habit by running the next crusade on a bunch of file-swappers.
</RANT>

Anyway, back on topic. Regardless of my previous posts, and I have stated to the contrary. I don't think DDR2 is all that much faster. Actually PC3200 DDR with a latency of 2-2-2-5-IT will outperform even the fastest DDR2. See the speeds you see are really only bus speeds. Now the DDR2 standard does look promising especially with the double the amount of pins which doubles the bus width.

As for Windows Vista. I have a P4 3.4Ghz EMT64 Processor with 4GB of PC2-4200 DDR and an 80GB Sata 3GB/s hdd with a newly added Asus Nvidia 7800GTX TOP. Windows vista runs slower than mollassis in january during an ice storm in the artic. And that was WITH allthe aero crap turned off.

So no Vista for me.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh gt500, i <3 you :P
and to further elaborate on gt500's comment about vista not running well, i think this might tell you why...
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

I gotta start saving. Mike, maybe if we put our money together and eat Ramen for the next 6 months we can build a DREAM MACHINE with the AM2.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm gonna eat ramen just to pay my darn bills! Any dream machine is being purchased through work and being used at work for work. I can throw vista on that one then.
  • Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

hahahah ramen is good. chicken flavor.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally I will not be purchasing Windows Vista, Windows XP is bad enough.

As for DDR2, supposedly, according to the CES festival and release notes, AM2 makes great use of DDR2 and does show a significant performance increase over standard DDR memory.

The proof is in the pudding, as they say.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

mmmmmm pudding....
i think it was toms hardware that said the ddr2-800 would be supported at the june-6 launch, just as intel starts supporting it.
link
it seems we are almost equal now in processor spec with intel.
-amd has the insane amounts of cache [fx-62 rumoredto have 4 mb l3 cache]
-ddr2 support [integrated memory controller ftw!]
the only thing we lack are the crazy clock speeds. the fx-62 will be "stuck" at 2.8 stock....
link
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Performance wise Intel and AMD perform very similarly even though AMD has the slower clock speeds.

To be honest, with the way that the AMD FX-62 will handle and process data, I will not be holding the slower clock speed against AMD.

I just hope they make the FX-62 better value for money than the FX-60 which can be out performed by the cheaper yet same arched CPU X2 4800+.
  • Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

it's all way to expensive. it makes me sad.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Kap-Vu wrote:
it's all way to expensive. it makes me sad.

When it first is released, yes, it will have a premium, but onces the FABs have the processes down to an art, the prices will soon drop as they begin to pump out loads and flood the market.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

*prods everyone* :D

been away from here for too long, m2 will be a variation of socket 940, while the new opterons will be going too socket f (1207)
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

grim-poop is back!

w00t, we can now bask in the glorious amd knowledge that emanates from him :P
  • lemiwinks1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: out of my mind:its dark and scary in there

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
DRM stands for Digital Rights Management. It is a bunch of pot-smoking, coke-snorting, vodka drinking, pure O2 inhaling lazy pieces of dog feces who don't like people trading their buzz-tickets for free on the internet. Especially when someone else did all the hard work.

I mean come-the-*plum*-on man. What I hate worse is the billions of dollars being spent on stopping 13yr old spanky trading Christine Aguilera songs on the internet with his similarly-chaffed palm friends while we have Men and Women who protect this country who CAN'T GET A MOTHERF*&#&# BULLET PROOF VEST! Because some piece of DIRT politician wants to cut Military Spending to fund his own COKE and PROSTITUTE habit by running the next crusade on a bunch of file-swappers.

you just got put on my list of heros shelby

along with lance armstrong and robbin williams

AND HURAH FOR GRIMPOO

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 23 posts