AMD Athlon 2600 Barton Temperature Going UPPP!!!

• hiryux
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello everyone!

I was wondering... I have an AMD 2600 Barton and the cpu temperature right now is about 60~62 C

I've read mixed opinions regarding it. Some say it is normal, that they do run a little hotter. Some say the cpu is on fire and the computer will die in a year (oh please don't say that's true hahaha)

Some say it's the mobo which is giving weird results.
I have a gigabyte kt600 motherboard. People say that gigabyte mobos often give pumped up results. (i check my temperature at the BIOS screen)

I have... 2 fans (and the one from the font) One is on top of the CPU, and it's a dynatron, approved by AMD and all. The othe rone I have no clue what it is, but it gets the air sucked out by the dynatron out of the system.

(System temp is about 31 C)

I've looked over some coolers and heatsinks... but i'm not sure which one I should get, or even if I really DO have to get one.

Well, if I do have to get one, the specs for the dynatron i believe were about 60X60 mm (the heatsink) is there any way i could fit a 80X80 fan on top of it? I don' tthink so, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Thanx for the help!!!!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you overclocking?
  • hiryux
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

well it might sound shocking but... no.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Never an intent of mine to steer anyone away from OZZU, but you might want to try your question at the Cooling forum here (you may find a quicker solution to your problem):

http://www.3dxtreme.net/forums/

It's the same phpBB forum format we have here...just log a handle and go.

//P.S. if you don't get a quick answer...you might want to direct the question to Jolyon33 -- looking at his sig he appears to have a similar processor.

See this post: http://www.3dxtreme.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1053
  • hiryux
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok! thanx =]
hopefully my computer won't catch on fire today
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

AMD processors do run a little hotter than their competitors, but basically, upgrading to a better quality heatsink & fan should fix your problem.

I'm running a 2500 Barton (not overclocking, but thinking about it), and right now I'm using the stock AMD fan that came with the CPU. It seems to be doing good, and my speed is around 50-53 degrees.

Now, I also have a window in the side of my case with another fan in it, keeping the general air temp inside the case a lil cooler (that's another option, see if you can fit fans inside your case to maintain better airflow, and cool the general ambient temp down a bit). The temperature of the room that the PC in can also play a big part. The temp in this room is around 75 degrees. If the temp in here was 80-85, my processor would be running much warmer, and if the temp in here was 65, it'd be running a bit cooler.

With regard to it being "on fire and the computer will die in a year", well, it'd just be your processor that died. And, in a year, that processor's only gonna be 50 bucks to replace anyway, so it's not a big deal (this is another reason so many overclock)...

Ok, so overclocking can shorten the life of your CPU dramatically, but, even with overclocking, by the time it dies, a replacement processor is going to cost next to nothing in comparison.

Btw, I typed all this before I finished reading your post, and see you have another case fan in there...

You probably could stick an 80mm fan on the heatsink, but you'd probably need to look into buing some form of adapter, or bracket to hold the fan in place, and get the air flowing properly - a bigger fan isn't necessarily going to help you if half the air is blown down the side of the processor. It's the dead center of the processor that gets the hottest.

I also had a Dynatron fan on my XP2400+... I had to underclock that to the equivalent of an 1800+ to keep the temps down. The one I have is the one with the real thin fins, and the big green fan on top (This one). It just really wasn't cutting it. Even though the fan I received had it stated on the box that it was rated up to AthlonXP 3200+, if it couldn't keep my 2400 cool enough, I've no idea how it was supposed to do it at 3200 speeds. But anyways (Btw, that fan is now on an an Athlon 1Ghz, and runs fine).

You might want to have a read of this article (it's several pages long)...

http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp.htm

...which compares practically every AMD chip heatsink & fan ever made, and gives a good introduction to cooling, and how the fans are compared for cooling power.

Btw, I also have one of these...

http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp_p6.htm#dragorb3

...and it works great, but it's just a tad too loud for using in the bedroom here (which is why I'm using the standard fan that came with the CPU).

And then, of course, if you want to get serious, go water cooling...

http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp_p10.htm

This is the way I'm going to eventually go - so that I can overclock my 2500 Barton a tad (or more, heh). I've heard of people getting this processor to XP3200 speeds, and I've seen some people get this chip even faster than that (rating between 3-4.5Ghz).

I've got a pretty nice motherboard (the Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe), which can overclock some, but it's not an outstanding overclockers board, so I may be looking into getting an Abit board (I believe the N7S is their best overclocker, but I could be slightly off on that one, I've not done THAT much reading up on it yet).
  • ShEDeViL
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

You might want to consider getting a new heatsink. I personally have Thermaltake Volcano 9's in both of my computers. One is a 2800+ and the other is a 2500+ and I've never had either of my CPU's get that hot (Max is around 44 C and that's at 100% cpu for upwards of 20 hours). Also when you are putting the heatsink on, you might want to get some arctic silver thermal paste.
  • hiryux
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the help!!! =D

I've researched some coolers (thanks for the awesome review page, Axe) and now i have a better grip on this...

well, in one year the processor will be cheaper, but I really can't stand the thought of having to replace anything major in this computer in one year hahaha ^^! that plus the fact that me changing the processor would be something like using a hammer on a brain surgery.

Checking the fans and all... i've seen that a couple of them (basically the ones I liked best)... well I'll just put the specs here:

Specs (as listed on the Eumax Website)

Main Feature:

For AMD Athlon XP 2800+ and 1U System
Thermal Resistance : 0.525oC/W
Total dimension : 84.8(L)x80(W)x66.4(H) mm
1. heat sink : 84.8(L) x 80(W) x 41.4(H) mm
2. fan : 80 x 80 x 25 mm (w/ LEDs)

Clip : One Step Clip For Installation Quickly & Easily
Fan specification :
1. Speed : 3000rpm
2. Voltage : 12V
3. Air Flow : 39.5CFM
4. Noise : 32dBA
5. Bearing : Two Ball Bearing
Interface Material : Balancestars ST 360
Model Number: EU-0702

Even though it is a little bit loud, I think I can live with that, since mine had a 31ish Db and I thought it was the quietest thing in the world (well compared to my poor emachines haha)

The thing that gets me is that the heatsink is quite a bit larger than the processor, and it seems that a 60X60 fits the processor size just perfectly!

You can check a picture it <a href = "http://www.atruereview.com/eumax/index.php">here</a>

Looking more carefully at it, well, the base does indent quite a bit from the heatsink, so maybe it does fit? I dont know... what do you think? is it a good enough cooler for $10? (I'm in a tight budget right now ^^;;)

I never had to buy another cooler for my computer, so I am totally noob at it... that plus extreme unluckiness in which I found myself when I realized that Axe's dynatron was EXACTLY like mine... _ _"

Again, thanks for the help!
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good luck, and keep us posted on the final results :)

It can be difficult to get your cooling right on some of the more recent AMD chips. As I said, they do run a little hotter than Intels anyway, so other factors can play a bit more of an importance (room temp, temp inside the case, etc.)

Right now I'm looking to build up either a Barton 2500 or a Barton 3200 for overclocking purposes, purely to see how fast I can get it going.

There's a local cooling company here that I do occasional work for who's been introduced to PC cooling recently (most of their work is large industrial cooling & AC for big big hotels, etc.) so just for fun, we figured we'd at least give it a try and see what we could come up with.

If it turns out that we can make the parts cheap enough, and there's enough of a demand, and we're successful at producing some pretty good cooling units... Well, who knows?

It's gonna be a while til we can start getting some prototypes together, but anything that isn't held under NDA I'll be announcing here, because I know there's a few here interested in cooling & overclocking.
  • hiryux
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow if you actually come up with new units for cooling please let me know! Lots of these things are so expensive because they have LEDs powerful enough to be visible by an airplane and they charge a fortune for it. Or they paint the whole thing ORANGE or give it an X format so the name can be X-Cooler which sounds so cool.

It'd be awesome if there would be a cooler without these weird things which would only do what it was supposed to do. Maintain my computer cool.

I decided to go with the eumax cooler, should be here in about 2 or 3 business days (oh I hate this thing of business days -P)

I will post here the results, since AMD always had this issue with overheating =P
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

A good thing to look for in heatsink / fan combos for Socket A processors is find the ones with as much copper in them as you can afford. Copper is the best route for heat to dissipate through. Also, be very cautious in applying heatsink compounds. I have found a substance called "frag tape" that is much easier to work with than pasty goop. Its also great if youre going to be switching heatsinks until you find one that suits your needs. No messy cleanup. Google for "frag tape" and you'll find it with no problem.
  • hiryux
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanx for the tips!
actually, the cooler which I have ordered TEN days ago still didn't come. It's supposed to come tomorrow, but who knows.

I'll look into the tape you just mentioned, seems like a good idea to have it.
  • hiryux
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok! I just got my new cooler installed today!!!

Now the temperature is solid 51 C

Occasionaly under heavy usage it jumps to around 55

I realize it's still not cool enough, but oh well, at least it's not bordering 60's anymore.

Thanks for all your help!!! =)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

"cool" hiryux -- thanks for the updates! *grins
  • adrhc
  • Born
  • Born
  • adrhc

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

my Bios is showing 60 Celsius degree for my CPU - even when I run it with only
the MB, CPU, RAM and AGP card (64 C - for full configured system)! without operating system.
I have cooper cooler Titan TTC-CU5TBF (designed for Athlon XP 2800+ or 3200+, don't know exactly).
I analysed my cooler (I touched it), but it is really cool, up to may be 25 Celsius degree.
Now I have a windows 2000 installed and it's running fine - I did some benchmarks and is all
OK with a 64 Celsius degree temperature for my CPU as my GA-7N400 Pro2 is showing.
The problem is that my motherboard is runing my cooler all the time at full rotation
capacity so the noise is very high. What should I do ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Model Name : GA-7N400 Pro2
--------------------------
M/B Rev : 2.0
BIOS Ver : FC
Serial No. :
Purchase Dealer :
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VGA Brand : Nvidia Model : GeForce2 MX400
CPU Brand : AMD Model : AthlonXP 2600+ Barton Speed : 1.9MHz
Operation System : Win 2000 SP : 4
Memory Brand : Kinston Type : DDR
Memory Size : 256 Speed : 333
Power Supply : 360 W
  • hiryux
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, my first bet would be that since your heatsink (I assume you touched your heatsink?) is not hot at all, then your termometer is off.

At 60 C it won't really BURN BURN your hand, but it def. does sting a little bit. So if you say it's cool, then it's nowhere near 60 C.

I've seen posts where people would say that sometimes the temperature sensor is touching the processor, give you off measurements or something like that, I have no clue how to fix that though... you might want to look into that.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

hiryux you can afford to take out the case fans to reduce some of the noise as you already have a good bit of cooling (I bet you it does not account for more than 1c of cpu).

It’s the general opinion where I work that ambient temperature is not all that impotent but what is important is the heat sink with at least a copper base, thermal grease and large amount of airflow by the fan (bigger fans need less RPM so less noise).

My 2800 Barton runs at 51-55c and should run ok upto 70c. The damage to chips are done when the PC is powered up and down making the chips change size.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts