AMD Athlon 64 X2 Socket M2

• XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Colorado, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am waiting for the socket M2 and the Athlon 64 X2 5000+ CPU to come out before i upgrade or build a new computer all together,but i have not been hearing much about when it is to be released and if it to bring any big performance jump over the socket 939 X2's...so,is it worth waiting till whenever it comes out?...I want to upgrade soon (week or so) but i can wait if the M2 X2 is not to far off....the Athlon 64 X2 5000+ for M2 Socket is to be released in the 2nd quarter of 2006 so the M2 has to be released around there if not before then because from what i know that is the first CPU to be for Socket M2.....

Whats your take on all of this?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think socket 939 will be around a lot longer than people think.

Go too bleeding edge and you will have nothign that fits in your computer and you will have to wait.

In the next few weeks I might go for a simple base 939 setup.

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, a single Asus En6800Ultra SLI, a nice SATA2 hdd, to start a system off with. I can go with a nice Athlon 64 3000+ venice core and be happy for a while untill I feel like splurging on an X2. The only thing that erks me is the normal DDR they use.

Intel has the DDR2 and the DDR2 is CHEAPER than regular DDR.

I think the newest socket type will be for the DDR3 switch AMD plans to do.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

mmmm..AMD.. hot
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

A processor that turns on women... now that's hot! :crazyeyes: :eek2:
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

:shock: I SOOOO do not know what the heck the last 2 posts are talkiing about :shock:

ANYWAYS!

SO,so far,we have covered the socket 939 well be the norm for awhile longer,even in to socket M2'd days.....

I really want socket M2 for my next upgrade/build! :cry:
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good luck finding DDR3 system memory, a socket M2 motherboard made by a reputable motherboard maker, and even an M2 processor yet.

You said a few weeks waiting, not a few months. More than a few months, at least 6.
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm ok with waiting..i do want to do the next upgrade or build in a week or so,but i can wait however long till it all comes out....like i said above ^^^^^
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Register and others claim that the DDR3 was wrong.

Why wait so long for DDR2 and not skip to DDR3. I think AMD is making a mistake in that aspect. They really need to conqer that memory bandwidth market. Intel isn't doing so hot, but the DDR2 memory and soon to be resulting DDR3 memory ends up being cheaper than regular DDR. When DDR3 reaches the market I assume the same effect will ensue. DDR2 will become expensive as DDR3 is cheaper.

That's like spending $250,000 on a Honda Civic Hybrid and spending $50,000 on a Porsche Carrera 4 S convertable. More money for a slow POS, less money for the new hotness.
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

i never said i was waiting for RAM....i'm waiting for the X2's main socket M2...i am running DDR3 on my video card because that is what dose most of my on the fly video editing, as far a system RAM i am using DDR400 now and i am not having an kind of a bottle neck with my ram,just CPU power....thats y i am waiting for the new X2's to get settled into there own socket M2...all i wanted to know is when it is coming out because i am going to wait for it,how ever long it takes,my computer now well carry me to the new socket's for the X2's because right now they are for socket 939 just because it is the only socket right now that well handel them..

***MY PC***
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 (2.69Ghz)
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9
RAM - 4GB's of CORSAIR PRO DDR400 (PC3200)
Hard Drives - 4 74GB WD SATA Raptor's (P) / 4 Maxtor DiamondMax 300GB 7200RPM (S)
Drives - 2 SONY Dual Layer DVD Burners / Jazz Drive / Tape Drive backup (DAT)
Video Card - 3Dlabs Wildcat Realizm 800 w/ 640MB DDR3 on Board RAM
Screens - 2 SONY PREMIER Pro 1920x1200 (3840x2400 Viewing Area)

P.S. Honda and Porsche or both POS in my case...(sorry fans)
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Accoriding to all reports, your waiting till at least second quater 2006. So, aim for May/June of 2006.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why not buy a vapochill and overclock the FX by just upping the multiplier and adding a tad more voltage. By doing this 3Ghz could be possible. This would give you a load more CPU power now, and you could use it for future pc's as well.
  • Coderx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Coderx

Post 3+ Months Ago

*plum* wrote:
Why not buy a vapochill and overclock the FX by just upping the multiplier and adding a tad more voltage. By doing this 3Ghz could be possible. This would give you a load more CPU power now, and you could use it for future pc's as well.

ive seen em @ 4ghz for the WR :)

anyways, i'm quite experienced with computers, and i'm waiting until M2 socket AND serial AGP to hit here, MAXIMUM 2 years for the 2.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I aint waiting 2 years. I'm building a 939, then I'll move to Dual Core for the 939, then I'll go to the M2, etc...

By then we should see quad core processors and a full true 64bit architecture.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
By then we should see quad core processors and a full true 64bit architecture.

We may have those little "CELL" CPU's that Sony have placed in the new PlayStation3 [ wow, thats original, must have paid someone millions to come up with that one !! ] in PC's by that point. Sony are looking to place them into household appliances such as TV's, kettles and even chairs.
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

will i know for a fact it is all going down in 2006,so we wont have to wait 2 years,but i don't want to upgrade or build another 939 system....the FX-59 and all the dual cores except workstation or server CPU's are going to be M2...

how many pins is the M2?i heard numbers from 600 to 2000, :?

but the M2 is the socket MADE for dual core,939 is made for single cores so AMD just designed the fist few X2's for the 939(most likely put a bottle neck in) but if i am going to sink a grand or more per CPU i want it to run as fast as it can,M2 well allow the X2 to run at FULL bandwidth not the the 939 models don't kick ass but still....

i do agree that socket 939 well be around for at least another year or so,but the next FX is going to be for M2 and that is the backbone of sales for the 939 motherboard....but much longer after the FX-59 comes out 939 well no longer be the top choice for high end gaming/audio/video/web/programs or anything else...

that is another thing i like about AMD,each socket is a performance jump...so M2 should be fun for anyone to get their hands on...so from socket A to 754 to 939 to M2/F (let me know if i left any out)

i have a few computers,my other one is a Athlon 64 3700+ for Socket 754
and that computer runs great...939 only runs faster in my opinion because they have faster CPU's for 939.....by the way,dose anyone know what core for the 3700+ is the best...i have the clawhammer but there are 3 or 4 of them out there...

but for the X2's and opteron dual cores are going to Socket "F" for workstations and servers from what i hear....so i am going to have to get that socket when it is out or i am ready to move on the workstations...

is the X2 for gaming or more high end stuff like editing or CAD systems?
i didn't think of that....8 X2 5000+'s should be enough for high end video CAD audio work and if it will do all of that then gaming even on the most xtream levels should be NOTHING for the X2,let alone 2,4,8 or more of them....
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Socket M2 = 940 pins, this is for the desktop CPU's. Mobile CPU's from AMD's are going to become socket 642, and Server Chips are moving to Socket F = 1207 Pins.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

the "San Diego" core is the latest. There is also the "Venice" core. San Diego and Venice are identicle except that the San DIego core has a larger L2 cache (twice the cache to be precise).

With the road map of CPU's I see comming out, I see more CPU's that will run on the socket 939 within the next 12 months than I saw 24 months ago on the Socket A. I also upgrade regularly every 12 to 24 months, I try to stay every twelve but sometimes the computers run so well, I stick with them until I do get tired of them. I'm running on 23 months here on my current systems so I really need to get with something new within a month.

I however, don't want to blow $7,000 on a single system. I can upgrade my fastest system with the fastest stuff available for the socket A arch and make that my secondary. Then take my current secondary and make that my tertiary system. Then take my tertiary system and give that to friends whom are getting married and could use a new computer.

That sounds good.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

XDUDE: The dual-core will be mostly for video edition and operations that can handle multi-threading and multi-processors. When the M2 and the F cores come out they will have quad-core processors. I'm sure a server board maker like Tyan will make a quad CPU board to run.

I'm just PO'd that they are not going to include DDR3, because then Intel will take the jump on the memory bandwidth side AGAIN. They have been slow with putting the new hardware with their procs and that needs to change.

think of it, its a purposely created bottle neck. 400Mhz memory with a 1,000Mhz FSB. DDR3 has the 1,000Mhz memory bus. It would make sense for 1,000Mhz membus to front side bus. Sure AMD includes its northbridge which speeds up things, but still matching the faster memory could launch the hardware leaps and bounds ahead of intel, taking a strangle hold on the PC market. The perfect thing to do before MAC takes the intel proc and opens it's arch. I've already heard my CIO talk about MAC as a viable solution to the Microsoft monopoly on business if they open the architecture up. Because once mac does that, they will make a blitz on the office workspace with their own office suite and productivity tools and then PC apps will be able to run on MACS and etc etc etc. If a CIO of a fortune 50 company says something to that effect, you take it seriously.

These companies shape the market, they don't make $25B a year not to.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hate to say thism but your wrong about the cores. Toledo and Manchester are the latest cores from AMD, these are for the X2. This might be helpfull for everyone

Processor Model Clock Cache Process Core
Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 2.4 GHz 2x 1 MB 90 nm Toledo
Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.4 GHz 2x 512 kB 90 nm Manchester
Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.2 GHz 2x 1 MB 90 nm Toledo
Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2 GHz 2x 512 kB 90 nm Manchester
Athlon 64 FX 55 2.6 GHz 1 MB 90nm San Diego
Athlon 64 FX 55 2.6 GHz 1 MB 130 nm Clawhammer
Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4 GHz 1 MB 90 nm San Diego
Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4 GHz 1 MB 130 nm Clawhammer
Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4 GHz 512 kB 90 nm Venice
Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4 GHz 512 kB 130 nm Newcastle
Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4 GHz 512 kB 90 nm Venice
Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2 GHz 1 MB 90 nm San Diego
Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2 GHz 512 kB 130 nm Clawhammer
Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2 GHz 512 kB 90 nm Venice
Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2 GHz 512 kB 90 nm Winchester
Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2 GHz 512 kB 130 nm Newcastle
Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0 GHz 512 kB 90 nm Venice
Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0 GHz 512 kB 90 nm Winchester
Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8 GHz 512 kB 90 nm Venice
Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8 GHz 512 kB 90 nm Winchester

*Edit - Added SD FX55*
*Edit - Added 3500 Claw + 3700 SD*
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was talking about single core.

You still can't get X2's very readily.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just checked, none of the X2's are in stock anywhere. TigerDirect and Newegg don't even list them.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry, I thought you were talking about AMD64's in general. As for the X2 http://www.overclockers.co.uk is listening them for pre order; and several other site's like http://www.gamepc.com are also listening them for pre order. They are being released in a week. 21st of june to be exact.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey thats when the season premiers of nip/tuck, house and rescue me are!!!
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmmm...i watch a TOn of tv,but never that show.....one tree hill...OC...dawsons creak....everwood...king of the hill and that 70's show are good enough for me.....anyways,so,i just heard that the FX has been overclocked to over 5Ghz...so we should be seeing double digits in the X2's....(5 or 6+ Ghz each core)......Man that makes me excited...:D...lol...
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

4005Mhz is the WR, not 5Ghz, the new FX57 should beat the hell out of it though :P
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

well even that is *BEEPIN* fast......mine is running at the stock 2.6Ghz and it screams with games and stuff...the FX-59 is what i am looking forward 2....it is going to be AT LEAST 3.0Ghz...HEHEHE:D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts