AMD Barton 2600, GigaByte 7N400 Pro - temperature 64C idle

• adrhc
  • Born
  • Born
  • adrhc

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

my Bios is showing 60 Celsius degree for my CPU - even when I run it with only
the MB, CPU, RAM and AGP card (64 C - for full configured system)! without operating system.
I have cooper cooler Titan TTC-CU5TBF (designed for Athlon XP 2800+ or 3200+, don't know exactly).
I analysed my cooler (I touched it), but it is really cool, up to may be 25 Celsius degree.
Now I have a windows 2000 installed and it's running fine - I did some benchmarks and is all
OK with a 64 Celsius degree temperature for my CPU as my GA-7N400 Pro2 is showing.
The problem is that my motherboard is runing my cooler all the time at full rotation
capacity so the noise is very high. What should I do ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Model Name : GA-7N400 Pro2
--------------------------
M/B Rev : 2.0
BIOS Ver : FC
Serial No. :
Purchase Dealer :
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VGA Brand : Nvidia Model : GeForce2 MX400
CPU Brand : AMD Model : AthlonXP 2600+ Barton Speed : 1.9MHz
Operation System : Win 2000 SP : 4
Memory Brand : Kinston Type : DDR
Memory Size : 256 Speed : 333
Power Supply : 360 W
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I analysed my cooler (I touched it)

haha that made me laugh! Thought you were going to say you'd put a temperature probe in or something!! :lol:

Sounds to me like maybe the processor heat sink isnt making a good connection to the processor. This would give you exactly that reading - the processor would get very hot as nothing would be cooling it, but the heatsink would be cool as it is not gathering the heat.

Do you have some heatsink compound between the heatsink & the processor? You only need a very small amount. A good way to apply it is to either put a spall line at one end and drag it to the other or apply it to your finger whist it is in a latex glove ( your hand in a plastic bag gives the same result).

Also is the heatsink correctly strapped to the processor? there needs to be some force in effect to hold it in place properly to dissipate the heat.

Only things I can think of apart from obviously a faulty temperature gauge!

S
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

For your information I get 51c to 53c on the AMD fan that came with 2800 Barton. Always use a heat sink with a copper base or 100% copper.

I think my motherboard is set to shutdown at 75c by default.
  • adrhc
  • Born
  • Born
  • adrhc

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

of course I put a thin amount of heatsink compound and the cooler is perfectly fixed. I did this opperation twice in order to be shure that my cooler has contact with the heatsink. All was just fine. Now I found the problem: I bought a Volcano 11+ cooler - now the temperature is 49-50 C on idle, on full load is about 51-52 C.

Some people think they are the best
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just put some nice new thermal compound myself and I get 44-48 (49c During intensive task playing Deus Ex) :D . I have a ABIT Guru motherboard that gives me the readings as I play the games.

I am using the stock AMD fan and NO case fans (even the PSU has no external fan just one big one under it). So IMO if you have case fans take them out and use some good thermal compound on the CPU and you will save about 5c and allot of noise and the chances of your PSU going wrong beause less current is used.

AMD stock compound that came with the fan was not good enough.
  • DocWhite
  • Born
  • Born
  • DocWhite

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recently purchased the very same model processor, with a stock fan and some cheap thermal compound. The weak link in the process is surely the clamp that secures the heatsink to the motherboard. First time I tried fitting one, it took the full strength of two grown men to get this beast in place. All this wrenching and the like rubs off the thermal compound.

That was several builds ago, and now I can fit these things together without resort to brute force. Simply bend the clamp with some pliers until it appears that it will click into place with a minimum of brutality, apply the thermal grease plentifully to both the CPU and heatsink and snap quickly into place.

Now this little machine has no special case or other fans, but reads 27C idle, about 38C during heavy duty gaming, and will never go hotter than 43C. The graphics card, on the other hand, still has a piece of my charred finger on it.

It's all in the preparation.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts