AMD burning up?

• MBomberZ1
  • MBomberZ1

Post 3+ Months Ago

im guessing and hoping this is just a myth but i have hear a few people say that one reason Intel is better than AMD is because intel has baiscly a saftey built in so that if it starts to overheat to the point that it will hurt the chip, it will shut down, and that AMD doesnt have such a feature, anyone know of any truth to this?

WHen i get my new AMD in the mail im going to try to over clock it somewhat and any tips wouldbe great on a side note.

THanks

-Ryan
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

its true, intel processors lower clock rates when not doing anything processor intensive to reduce overheating, and they do it when overheating. and this in regards tp anything equivalent on the amd side
  • Wesley/g
  • Wesley/g

Post 3+ Months Ago

How can I tell if my processor has this? Is there a flag name to it?
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

what your processor?

this is a link i found for intel processors
but all i could find for amd is the cool n' quiet technology which i think is only availible on newer processors.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The truth is both AMD and Intel have technologies in place that will either lower the clock and core voltage or shutdown the system if the processor reaches a critical temperature.

In regards if that is a factor in whether or not one processor is better than another is completely untrue. In reality each processor will perform well in its perfect enviroment. You see many AMD Vs. Intel reviews on the internet and most of them are not worth their salt.

A plethora of designs and combinations of Processor, Motherboard, Memory, Video cards, etc will create a plethora of results each pointing to one being better than another in varying areas.

Not one processor takes the cake in every test performed on it. For instance: Office Applications and general office usage of a system will most likely result in Intel being the #1 choice; Gaming, compiling, ad data processing intensive programs will probably show AMD as the superior rank.

What this all boils down to is personal preference. Most of the people I have had the pleasure of encountering on the Hardware forum regularly tend to lean towards AMD-based systems. However, there are many regulars who like Intel. If you ask 1,000 people which processor was the best one they have ever used, you would get 1,000 different answers.

The key is to (if possible) broaden your horizons and use a well-built Intel system and then a well-built AMD system and make a decision on your own.

As for thermal concerns, newer technologies in the newer cores of the Athlon 64bit platform starting with the Venice core will perform at a lower temperature comparable to its Intel counterpart. That said, if you have adequate cooling and a properly built system with quality parts that work in unison, you will have a fast, stable computing platform to do almost anything.
  • MBomberZ1
  • MBomberZ1

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the info, so basicly i dont have to worry about my new chip burning up when i overclock it too much? it will just not start up or keep restarting if i do?

My processor is the AMD 3200+ 64 Venice
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just make sure you have a good cooler on it. Water cooling is good for overclocking.
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

MBomberZ1 wrote:
thanks for the info, so basicly i dont have to worry about my new chip burning up when i overclock it too much? it will just not start up or keep restarting if i do?

My processor is the AMD 3200+ 64 Venice

Just push it bit by bit. Check for stability after each speed bump as well as checking your temperatures.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts