AMD vs. INTEL.again.

• ManicalIdiot
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ManicalIdiot
  • Loc: Virginia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey hey everyone, the battle that never ends has returned....but only to ask a question:

[color= lightblue]Intel has higher GHz than AMD, but everyone claims AMD is a faster processor. However these same people are the ones that go to thier little LAN Parties and play games, which I do not, obviously. So overall, without bias(if you can do that) which ones are truly faster(remember these forums are to help people not make them buy something that isn't really faster its just what you like more).[/color]
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can look up research all day about processor comparisons, but from my personal experience I prefer AMD.

Either manufacturer will probably allow you to do whatever your computing needs desire, but AMD will be less money. I have never had more problems with Intel, but I simply prefer to save $$.

Then again I am not a LAN party or even a video game person.
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

ManicalIdiot wrote:
Hey hey everyone, the battle that never ends has returned....but only to ask a question:

Intel has higher GHz than AMD, but everyone claims AMD is a faster processor. However these same people are the ones that go to thier little LAN Parties and play games, which I do not, obviously. So overall, without bias(if you can do that) which ones are truly faster(remember these forums are to help people not make them buy something that isn't really faster its just what you like more).[/b]

If you don't want to listen to other people's opinions, go do your own research.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dollar for Dollar, AMD is the better choice. I switched from Intel to AMD 12 years ago, and never looked back. The only intel machines I have now are ones people have given me for free. I wouldn't pay for any intel processor/machine.
  • ManicalIdiot
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ManicalIdiot
  • Loc: Virginia

Post 3+ Months Ago

TomK wrote:
If you don't want to listen to other people's opinions, go do your own research.

Now now, play nice, I just don't want some Intel or AMD worm going around every forum copying and pasting some prewritten rant about thier favorite processor.
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Colorado, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

i used to be an intel dude..but when intel started putting the $$$$ before the product is when i went to AMD and now i would defend AMD to the death,i just love them....less money and slower clock speeds than a large P4 but yet the Athlon 64 upper CPU's kick intel's CPU's out the door....

I do a lot of video editing,rendering,work and on intel it was ok but with AMD i get work done fast and right,i have even watched a DVD movie on the same computer as i render some movie projects down to an AVI or MPEG file...but what i mean to say is,u well be VERY happy with AMD..

I would recommend any of the 64 bits..........
  • eXpOsEd
  • Born
  • Born
  • eXpOsEd

Post 3+ Months Ago

I work for a computer store and for the last 5 years, every computer except for 1 has been built AMD ( one customer wouldn't budge). The price/performance issue is a no brainer. I could care less about the speeds, because both manufacturers put out comparable chips, it just depends on how much you want to pay. I use AMD because the comparable chips are usually half the price.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Intel and AMD do not put out comparable chips. They are both totally different, some have there strengths and some have there weakness'.

The current Dual core chips from both companies are quite good, although the Intel does have some major heat issues. The stock heatsink lets the processor hit about 75c after a couple of hours of full load on both cores.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

*plum* wrote:
Intel and AMD do not put out comparable chips. They are both totally different, some have there strengths and some have there weakness'.

If this is true, all the lab tests independant companies / hardware folks do must be a crock of lies then. If they are not comparable, you cannont compare them to get results on which is performs better.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Point, i think i need to rephrase, there not totally different. Both of them have the strengths and weekness's. It is not fare to use a totally biased towards intel test. And then say from this single result that one is better than the other.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

appoligies for the double post but im just fed up with blatent fanboyism towards Intel or AMD. Choose a CPU that suits YOUR!! needs, not one that is ment for something totally different, e.g. dont buy a dual core CPU unless you do lots of multitasking or use multitreaded aplications.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

*plum* wrote:
e.g. dont buy a dual core CPU unless you do lots of multitasking or use multitreaded aplications.

Or have copious amounts of spare cash gathering in piles on the floor in your house. Or just want to boast to all your mates you have the latest and greatest technology !! :lol:
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, ive got too agree with you there.
  • Uncle_Slappy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: McMinnville, OR

Post 3+ Months Ago

You want to know what to build?

Go with your gut sir. Both of these companies build CPU's that are on the cutting edge of technological evolution, and both will work wonderfully in any workstation that you choose to build.

This question is mearly one of preference...plain and simple.

One side of the discussion will tell you that AMD is the ONLY way to go and to do otherwise is foolishness. Then there are people in the Intel camp that will tell you the same thing about their procs. This is purly a matter of preference.

As to the matter of your clock rating...AMD uses (generally) a 10-20 step pipeline in the processors, where Intel uses up to 36. Because of this AMD is able to get instructions in and out in fewer cycles (unfortunately this doesn't always translate into faster within the application).

My advice to you is simply this:

Choose a platform that you like, and holds the amount of upgradeability that you personally desire in a computer, and go with it. There are other things that will affect performance for you to worry about like video, RAM, MoBo Chipset, and HDD. 8)

As long as you buy parts that are all compatable with each other, and "get along" you won't be disapointed with either one.

Game on. :)
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

AMD makes great chips, bar none. I know people who are Intel nuts and they like their systems, and they have some nice systems. But, their architecture is getting old. They throw ultra-fast clocks, and huge caches on an oversized memory bus and they make the end-run around a true design of a processor.

AMD has more registers, hands down. However, most applications were designed purely for the Intel chips, hence why certain apps run better on Intel.

However, AMD and Microsoft teamed up and had optimized Windows XP to run top-notch on the Athlon XP. Windows still runs top-notch on the Intel, too. But when you install windows it chooses the right driver for your chip.

Unfortunately most of the corporate world uses Intel, except me because I have the pay grade to finagle a few grand from the budget and build myself a few decent workstations for my server-closet of an office. I like it, even though prisoners get larger cells with a window at least. But hey, at least I got the systems I wanted and its nice and cold in here so I can’t complain.
  • 5k1LLz
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • 5k1LLz

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think the best intel cpu is the 3.4 HT with extremem tech....

then the best amd fx-55 clocks in at 5.2 or something like that smokes INTEL.
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

i didnt know they had the FX overclocked that high....God that thing must scream..heck it screams now let alone at 2x the clock speed
  • 5k1LLz
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • 5k1LLz

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, I believe the FX-55 clocks in at 5.2Ghz.
  • Wacky7
  • Born
  • Born
  • Wacky7

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now from Intel to AMD they are both good chips,it just how the way the engineer make tham better every different ways.. now i see that Intel are high $$ at there FSB and to the GHZ range they make tham by the clock setting and Bios setting of ways to do the job. AMD in the other hand integrated FSB and there GHZ core is staying at a lower speed but BIOS setting and ways are different by multifactor ways on Intel and AMD
its all depens on the motherboard config that get the chip to do its job.
in some ways yeah AMD is good at there 3D stuff and redering color and RGB and pictures details and makeing it look nice and speed for some task... now Intel are very good for moveing things to one to another and they also have 64 bit witch it make it likes AMD ways 3d stuff. and games and also other task works.. it just both good.. now IBM whoa AMD and Intel want some Info from IBM they way there makeing 128 bit and different engineer ways from thoes chips. nothing worng with Intel nothing worng with AMD.. they are both good :roll:
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

a test i ran...

i bought a game (ground control II) which is not a HUGE game,but not a small one either..

so,i took the minimum systems requirements for AMD and intel for the game. and evened them out and used 2 systems...listed below

AMD Athlon XP 2600+
(family members)
intel Pentium III 1Ghz
(friends)

Both have same RAM (256) / video cards (Mad Dog PREDATOR MX 4000 Plus) / hard drives (40GB WD IDE 7200RPM)

Running intel first.....the games showed that the intel system did play the game well at low settings and with a little time was able to progress through the game...then AMD,the Athlon played the game faster and more smooth than the intel and with less load time and faster on the fly processing.....
  • shyguyjeff
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Philippines

Post 3+ Months Ago

what is more faster, AMD or INTEL processors?
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

The question is not what is faster, it is what you are using it for.

AMD - Gaming.
Intel - Applications.

AMD's GHz are worth more than Intel's, do not be fooled.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

There has been countless debates and posts over that, throughout the history of the internet. There is no answer, its only opinion and preference.

Personally I prefer an AMD system, I do not like Intel based systems.
  • Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah you should search link and do a search on that topic. there are some pretty useful information about that topic here at this forum.
  • manuleka
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: NZ, Wellington

Post 3+ Months Ago

i agree with that... depends on some factors like

1) personal preference or favor
2) the purpose of the system
3) budget for the system

for example,
i prefer AMD as i find their CPUs cheaper (when compared to performance)
its 64bit CPUs are pretty damn fast :)

but as Kap-Vu said, you can do a search here on ozzu or just do a google and you'd get alot of benchmarkings and comparisons out there online. Either way they are both good CPUs :)

good luck
  • Moey
  • Born
  • Born
  • Moey

Post 3+ Months Ago

intel!
  • manuleka
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: NZ, Wellington

Post 3+ Months Ago

shyguyjeff wrote:
what is more faster, AMD or INTEL processors?

ever thought about Cyrix? hehe...
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought Cyrix was only making embedded systems now.

What ever happened to Crusoe?
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

Moey wrote:
intel!

Cannot remember the last time i saw somebody say that...

I much prefer AMD. they are cheaper and faster. I have an FX55 (2.6ghz) and my brother and mom have a P4 2.53. The 300mhz difference is small, but the performance difference is huge. Even for applications.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Intel's are O.K.

If I built an Intel system, this is what I would build:
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 650 Prescott LGA 775 EM64T Retail
Mobo: Intel BOXD945PVSLKR LGA 775 Intel 945P ATX Retail
Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 667
Vid: BFG Tech BFGR68256OCX Geforce 6800 256MB PCI-E x16 Retail

Post Information