AMD vs Intel

• Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Grimshít wrote:
Well, that should definatly not be. Its probably your OS and the Install of windows. The library PC's will probably have nothing on where as your pc is full of things that you use everyday.

grimsh*t

This is very true.

Your Library PC's are most likey to be running something along the lines of windows 2000 server edition compared to your OS (XP I presume ?).

If it is XP, XP uses up alot more of your PC resources than previous versions of windows.

Also as Grimshít said, you most probably have alot more programs on your PC which are loaded as the PC boots whereas the library PC will have just the bare minimum.
  • cataract
  • Born
  • Born
  • cataract

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi i want to buy new PC
i want to 'work' (study) with it and i suppose will no have any money to buy another one i next 5 years :roll: (middle europe )
what to buy... ?
ATHLON64 socket 939 512CACHE...
or
P4 lga775 2MB CACHE....
which socket will becompatible with Dual Core CPUs....
which socket 939 motherboard support 1M cache CPU
any your advise will be welcome

PS: sorry for my english :]

:oops:
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

All AMD motherboards will support dual core, Intel motherboards on the other hand will have to be the new "NForce 4 Intel SLi" or a "955X chipset."
  • The_torst
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • The_torst
  • Loc: Denmark

Post 3+ Months Ago

As already mentioned, AMD really smokes Intel at a lot; plus, due to their generally short pipeline, it's a lot better at things like gaming: a pretty important part of a lot of peoples spare time :)
  • stephenh2
  • Born
  • Born
  • stephenh2

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll be going to college in a few years and the colleges suggest 2.8 GHZ P4's or better. Would an AMD processor be a better buy and still do all of the applications as good as a P4?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Generally :

Apps = Intel
Gaming = AMD

Although on certain processors, both cross over into each others teritory.
  • tommy
  • Loc: Europe - Romania - Bucharest

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I personally use AMD and I'm not very excited about it...
One of the reason(s) is that the proccessor in to 'hot' - I changed the cooler 2 times by now and he still has 65 - 70 °C
Another disadvantage is that, if I run many internet applications (that dont require too much data) and I also try play a game, the puter starts to reboot without any reason... even though I have 512 ram, that should be enough to run ""those app"" and that game...
It's true that Intel has some preety big prices, but if you really want quality, pay for it :)
So I'm really thinking on getting a Intel

Regards tommy :)
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well. that certainly shouldnt be, few things too check

1: Is the heatsink mounted correctly, flat for an athlon 64, and slanted for the Athlon XP and low end Semprons that use Socket A.

2: Have you used a thermal compound between the CPU and heatsink? If so how much did you use?
  • sandman6471
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • sandman6471
  • Loc: In My Dreams

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I've only had one Intel system and that was the first system I ever owned.

I know better now and it's AMD all the way.............AMD RULES!!!
  • manuleka
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: NZ, Wellington

Post 3+ Months Ago

elbow man wrote:
I don't like AMD very much. I've got an AMD processor (2.08 GHz) in my computer and it runs twice as slow as the computers in my local libaury, which have Intel processors(1.5GHz). I don't think it is the RAM, because that is the same (512mb), and I have a 120gb hard drive.

Dude, thats funny... i usually see people comparing AMD and Intel with AMDs lower clock to Intels high clockage CPUs

If an AMD 2.08Ghz runs slower than a 1.5Ghz Intel, you should check recheck the Clock reading hehe. Its most probably a software or CPU fault, no way an AMD 2.0Ghz be beaten by an Intel "1.5Ghz" OMFG can't believe this... *sigh*
  • manuleka
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: NZ, Wellington

Post 3+ Months Ago

I go for AMD (specifically AMD64)

:)

I kinda like comparing AMD and Intel as "Skyline-'Godzilla' GTR" to "Ford Mustang GT"

both fast... one is cheaper :)
  • Casey
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Iowa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really like AMD, but mostly because they are cheaper. Plus, I've had really good luck with them. My processor has suffered heat damage and physical damage (don't ask, I bought a cheap fan...) and it's been running stable for 5+ years.

I really hate Celerons though (even though I own one)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 42 posts