•  
    AMD

AMD vs Intel

• grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I noticed an old post which was "AMD vs Intel Motherboards", the thread never had a poll on it to see overall what people thought was "better". All you have to do is vote for either Intel or AMD. Can you also post a reason as to why you think one is better than the other. Personally i have to go with AMD because there new 64Bit chips really do smoke Intels at most things except for video encoding.

*plum*
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I went for AMD aswell due to the same reason as *plum*.

Also I am liking what I`m hearing about the new Dual Core AMD CPUs that are going to be released soon(ish)

Finaly I don't like the fact the Intel charge a premium just because they are the market favorite (which I beleive is only because they come as standard in most PCs as people are not always given a choice of CPU).

Just my two cents.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I built both an Intel and AMD, but the Intel was back in the days of 386's. I'd have to say both are reliable and pretty stable. I converted to an AMD man after I installed my 1.0Ghz chip. It was cheaper, it did a hell of a job and nearly 4 years later, its still going strong. All the other PC's in my home are also bulit with AMD. The only real problem, if you can really call it a problem, is the heat it generates. Absolutely nothing that a good heat sink and fans can get rid of. And behind all the statistics and comparissons, I always root for the underdog! AMD all the way.
  • keemosabi
  • keemosabi
  • Loc: Kansas City, Missouri

Post 3+ Months Ago

AMD all the way. I feel when I buy something from them, I'm not paying for a name. I also think they are better at designing than Intel and give me more for my buck.
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

AMD for me :)
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Credit where credit is due though.

If it wasn't for Intel the PC market might not be where it is today.

That said, I`m all for burning their HQ to the ground ....

**Hey Joe ... got a match ?**
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

AMD and Intel are desiging dual core cpu's. The Intel version is called "Smithfield" (I think) and AMD will be "Toledo". From what ive read these "First Generation" dual core cpu's should be pin compatable with normal processors, so you wont have to upgrade from 939 or LGA775 to get one. Personally i think these dual core chips wont offer much of a performace boost when they first come out due to the lack of support for Multithreaded Applications (Applications that support 2 cpu's for thoes of you who dont know :oops: ). However AMD's "Orleans (64) and Windsor(FX)" look pretty intresting with a new socket layout "M2" which will have 1207 Pins!

For more information on the AMD roadmap go to http://www.c627627.com/AMD/Athlon64/ and check it out 8)

grimshıt
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

*plum* wrote:
AMD and Intel are desiging dual core cpu's. The Intel version is called "Smithfield" (I think) and AMD will be "Toledo". From what ive read these "First Generation" dual core cpu's should be pin compatable with normal processors, so you wont have to upgrade from 939 or LGA775 to get one. Personally i think these dual core chips wont offer much of a performace boost when they first come out due to the lack of support for Multithreaded Applications (Applications that support 2 cpu's for thoes of you who dont know :oops: ). However AMD's "Orleans (64) and Windsor(FX)" look pretty intresting with a new socket layout "M2" which will have 1207 Pins!

For more information on the AMD roadmap go to http://www.c627627.com/AMD/Athlon64/ and check it out 8)

*plum*

so who did you chose? ;)
  • ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also Intel develops new technology for chipmaking, silicon-based laser devices (as in previos threads were saying with the speed of light). Don't know if AMD working on it, but I'm still going for AMD due to price and power consumption.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I went for AMD, at the moment AMD is kicking Intel's ass in Gaming which is what i do the most. In technology AMD has done some stuff as well, they developed the Hyper Transport Bus which totally superseeds Intels FSB in bandwidth to the ram and latency, it also shipped the first desktop 64 bit processor so kudos to AMD for doing that.

*plum*
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

*plum* wrote:
I went for AMD, at the moment AMD is kicking Intel's ass in Gaming which is what i do the most. In technology AMD has done some stuff as well, they developed the Hyper Transport Bus which totally superseeds Intels FSB in bandwidth to the ram and latency, it also shipped the first desktop 64 bit processor so kudos to AMD for doing that.

*plum*

oh lol forgot you had already posted
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.sun.com/amd/

^^ Another reason to choose AMD. They are working with WORLD leaders Sun.

If that doesn't make you want to "Join the dark side" ....
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought Intel was "The Empire" and AMD were the "Rebels" :lol:

*plum*
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

*plum* wrote:
I thought Intel was "The Empire" and AMD were the "Rebels" :lol:

*plum*

They are, but I wanted to use that quote because its more famous and people will understand what I`m trying to say. :oops:
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm,wonder if we should include VIA in this vote as well. They're not anything for speed but they have developed Nano-ITX and all there processors only have a thermal rating of 10W for passivly cooled and 25W for active cooling which makes them great for putting in "stuff".

*plum*
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

*plum* wrote:
which makes them great for putting in "stuff".

Like food processors and microwaves you mean ? :lol:
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, that sort of "stuff", ive heard of them being put in dummies... :shock:

*plum*
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

*plum* wrote:
Yeah, that sort of "stuff", ive heard of them being put in dummies... :shock:

*plum*

o0o0o0o0oo0 might powerful !! :twisted:
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

3/4 of the people who have voted are going for AMD, and no one is here arguing for Intel, looks like AMD is the peoples favorite 8)

*plum*
  • Pretorian
  • Born
  • Born
  • Pretorian

Post 3+ Months Ago

Na, Pentium is better, i personally think its far more powerful and better for generally everything than AMD.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pretorian wrote:
Na, Pentium is better, i personally think its far more powerful and better for generally everything than AMD.

Personal opinion and scientific fact are two completely different things. :D

Welcome to the forums by the way.
  • Pretorian
  • Born
  • Born
  • Pretorian

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, thanks for the welcome
  • Pretorian
  • Born
  • Born
  • Pretorian

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just thought i could make a stand saying that Pentiums are better...
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pretorian wrote:
Just thought i could make a stand saying that Pentiums are better...

You could, but then again, other people could make a stand and say AMD are better and we could be here for years discussing our personal preferances.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, you can make that stand and i will give into it if you can prove to me that an P4 will outclass a AMD64 in most benchmarks.

*plum*
  • WoRd Of WiSdOm
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Riverside,California

Post 3+ Months Ago

I Chose Intel however it seems lately that intel has there processors so high in ghz and the price is unfair however i like how intel processors perform i have a p4 ee and it does good and was very expensive but it does good for me.
However AMD seems to offer and more resonable priced processor. If intel would bring down there prices then it would be intel all the way but in terms of pricing its amd all the way.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

WoRd Of WiSdOm wrote:
I Chose Intel however it seems lately that intel has there processors so high in ghz and the price is unfair however i like how intel processors perform i have a p4 ee and it does good and was very expensive but it does good for me.
However AMD seems to offer and more resonable priced processor. If intel would bring down there prices then it would be intel all the way but in terms of pricing its amd all the way.

Very true.

Like I have said in previous posts. I have respect for Intel because they are very good at what they do and have improved the public pc sector in many ways, but I also beleive that their prices are more than what they should be.
  • sandman6471
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • sandman6471
  • Loc: In My Dreams

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've only had one Intel machine and that was my first computer years ago(before AMD). Now, I only build AMD machines.
  • elbow man
  • Born
  • Born
  • elbow man
  • Loc: On your arm!

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't like AMD very much. I've got an AMD processor (2.08 GHz) in my computer and it runs twice as slow as the computers in my local libaury, which have Intel processors(1.5GHz). I don't think it is the RAM, because that is the same (512mb), and I have a 120gb hard drive.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, that should definatly not be. Its probably your OS and the Install of windows. The library PC's will probably have nothing on where as your pc is full of things that you use everyday.

grimsh*t
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 42 posts