Ancient Laptop Crisis

• Abkanis_Liver
  • Born
  • Born
  • Abkanis_Liver

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right now I have possession of a IBM Thinkpad T21 with win98se and 128 ram and other standard model pieces, and the thing decided to quit working with symptoms the same as the t23 message board (blank screen, no boot, fan working, some LED's on).

Over the course of the past month I've concluded that its hardware or some piece on the system board, Since I can get it to randomly boot if I apply Pressure on the underside near the ram, and on one occasion I even did a system restore that had no effect.

Anyway, I'm going to soon dismantle the thing and have a look for any loose pieces (as recommended on the t23 thread), but its the first laptop I've ever dismantled, so I thought I would ask for any suggestions, "do's/don't" advice and other related stuff before I possibly begin.

Any help is appreciated
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can only of one 'don't' and that is don't worry about it. It's garbage anyway, so no matter what happens, you'll learn a lot.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Laptops have screws hidden in the strangest places. I ended up trearing the bottom cover off of my dead laptop with a sock covered hand.

Here's some threads from when I dismantled my other laptop a few months ago. Most of it has to do with salvaging the HDD, but there might be somthing in them for you. There's a few photos of the inside of my laptop in the last link.
unix-linux-forum/getting-data-from-dead-winxp-laptop-hdd-t80866.html
http://develobert.blogspot.com/2007/09/ ... p-hdd.html
  • Abkanis_Liver
  • Born
  • Born
  • Abkanis_Liver

Post 3+ Months Ago

As much as I'd love to not care about (I know how worthless it is), its not actually mine, but rather just sort of broke down in my possession. plus I'm really poor.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't try to fix it. Return it to the owner instead, tell him that it stopped booting and don't say anything else.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts