Any gamers, i need advice please

• Scriptz
  • Born
  • Born
  • Scriptz

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all,

Well, i am on a research mission to find the more effective processor for a computer i am going to purchase. This is my 2nd computer. The first computer i got years ago and it had a pentuim 4 1.7. I need to know what processor is better at running games.

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ (2.4 GHz) 512KB cache 939-pin
OR
Intel Pentium 4 650 3.4GHz HT 800MHz 2MB Cache LGA775

I will be using this cpu for gaming mostly and would appreciate any input i can get about which would be more effective.

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Athlon 64 will offer better performance in games and most aplications.

grimsh*t
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Agree Athlon 64 will be the fastest but buy what ever is cheapest then spend the extra on the most expensive Geforce 6800 you can buy. Put your graphics card first!
  • Scriptz
  • Born
  • Born
  • Scriptz

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the replies.

I have heard that AMD was a better processor for games, but i want to be sure i make the right decision.

Also, while it was brought up. ATI or Geforce? right now i use a Geforce fx
and was going for another girlfriend but, i keep hearing that ATI has better benchmarks than the girlfriend. Any thoughts?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I personaly prefer ATI, but currently ATI are outbeaten by the 6800Ultra and this is widely accepted by both enthusiasts and mainstream people.

So if your looking for a new graphics card, your best bet would be either a 6800 Ultra [ if your budget will allow ] or get the 6600GT and do a bit of overclocking.

ATI are currently working on a PCI-E graphics card that will supposedly finaly knock the 6800 Ultra off its perch.
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

The best "bang for your buck" card right now is the ATI X800 XL. It features performance superior to the GeForce 6800 GT for a fraction of the price.

As for processor, AMD is your best bet. AMD is faster in games and most applications while providing a better value.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

TomK wrote:
The best "bang for your buck" card right now is the ATI X800 XL. It features performance superior to the GeForce 6800 GT for a fraction of the price.

As for processor, AMD is your best bet. AMD is faster in games and most applications while providing a better value.

Yes but arguable. I don’t think ATI have all the latest versions of pixel shader and ultra shadow.

I have not seen benchmarks to support processors but I guess Intel are and always have been better at all types of processing apart from games where AMD win.
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Johan007 wrote:
TomK wrote:

Yes but arguable. I don’t think ATI have all the latest versions of pixel shader and ultra shadow.

It's true that GeForce 6800 cards have Shader Model 3.0 support where as X800 cards do not. Unfortunately Shader Model 3.0 isn't used in many (if any) games since it's quite simply not necessary.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

In most if not all current tests of games like Doom3, HL2 FarCry etc, the 6800Ultra out performs ATI's counterpart in FPS, AA and AS at all resolutions.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Geforce is still the fastest card you can buy.
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Soy Cubano, no puedo ser diferent!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHZ, and never have had any problems with it, I play a lot of games and they never have fail on me, I can open aplications as well, an so far no problems... :D
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

The X850 currently beats the 6800 Ultra in HL2 Enigma, i think it beats it in Tomb Raider as well but im not sure. Other than that the 6800 Ultra has far better features going for it, including SLi on PCIE versions.

grimsh*t
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

*plum* wrote:
The X850 currently beats the 6800 Ultra in HL2 Enigma, i think it beats it in Tomb Raider as well but im not sure.

Oh, my bad :)

I think I`ll have to look into the X850, the comp mag I buy religiously every month has'nt reviewed it yet I believe.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts