any tips on this barton 2500+?

• roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: BKNY

Post 3+ Months Ago

aight... had my interest piqued by the overclocking post on here and looked into my own computer a bit...

here's the situation:
amd athlon xp barton 2500+ (locked at x11.0)
asus a7v600
1gb ram (2x512m cards, samsung and corsair)
stock heatsink
400w psu
nothing else too relevant i think...

voltage = 1.728 (never changed)

with the FSB set to 100MHz, the temp runs ~ 71C
and when i just move it up to 110MHz, it goes up to ~76C

from what i'm seeing and what i've been looking into, those temperatures are really high, even for a stock heatsink...

and this is how it's been running from the get...

on top of it all, with (practically) a top of 110MHz FSB, my core speed only gets up to about 1.2GHz...
considering that a lot of stuff i'm reading says that the 2500+ starts off around 1.826GHz and can be pushed up to over 2GHz without messing up the temp too much by pushing the FSB up to 200MHz...

if anyone's got ideas for me, holla'...

thanks,
puck
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are the jumpers/DIP switches on the mobo set correctly. I ask because when I built one of my PC's, I forgot [ :oops: ] to set them correctly and my cpu only ran at half its standard clock speed.

If your not sure about them, refer to the mobo manual or check out the manufacturers site.

71 & 76 is a bit hot, even for an AMD, perhaps it might be benificial to replace the thermal compound ?
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

i just bought a new heatsink the "Asus Star Ice" and i have to say its brilliant, its halved my temperatures.

71 - 76 is a bit high for an AMD. The thermal limmit on them is meant to be 75 (for the athlon 64's, im not sure about the XP's). if you dont have the required £30 for a star ice then try replacing the thermal compound with some Arctic Silver 5, its £6 on http://www.overclockers.co.uk this should make a differance in your Temps and help lengthen the life of your components.

*plum*
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you guys for your responses.
Right now, I've got another issue on my hands.

I was looking into how to get the motherboard to up the multiplier (it doesn't have any manual switches) and I thought that upgrading the bios would do the trick. So I downloaded the newest bios build from the Asus website (1008)...

and, well, it's corrupted and now the mainboard won't boot or even POST...

So... WARNING - if you've got any Asus A7V board, make sure you don't get the 1008 bios build...

Anyways... this is going to be a great opportunity for me to not only pick up a new mobo and maybe I'll even get to deal with Windows WPA (woo hoo!), but I'll also get a chance to pick up some of this Arctic Silver 5...

What do y'all thing of Cooler Master hsfs?

Thanks again for all the help and happy holidays.

-Puck
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

I currently have a CoolerMaster AERO7+ and I think its great. A friend of mine has the Jet HSF and he said thats amazing aswell, although, when at full rev, its sounds just like a Jet :shock: but there ya go, it also has flashing LEDs either side of the fan.

Both fans are pretty beefy in size but will do a decent job of cooling your CPU.

If your after an amazing HSF, I would go for the new Asus Star Ice. There has been alot of talk on this and other forums about it, all of which is good talk.

It comes with one 80mm fan as standard but has the option of adding a second 80mm on the opposite side for a push-pull effect. Its also so big it needs to be attached on both sides.

Tis a true Beast. Get it, GET IT NOW !!!
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can get replacement bios's from http://www.biosman.com (i think thats the address, try googling it).

The Asus Star Ice is a great cooler, but if you want silent cooling then its not one to go for, it sounds like a jet engine never mind looking like one!

*plum*
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

*plum* wrote:
You can get replacement bios's from http://www.biosman.com (i think thats the address, try googling it).

The Asus Star Ice is a great cooler, but if you want silent cooling then its not one to go for, it sounds like a jet engine never mind looking like one!

*plum*

True it can be loud, but if you put on the second fan and reduce the fan speed, the noise isnt much greater than that of any other fan in your PC.

Your always going to have noise with Fans, there is no way around it. If you want silent get a water cooling system. Other than that, people will have to make do with a bit of noise.

I myself would rather have a nice cool CPU that has a slightly louder than average fan, than a overheated CPU that has a silent almost non spinning fan.
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

okay, so now i've gone out and spent way too much on an A7V400-MX because it was the only AMD-compatible mobo I could find on Christmas Eve morning... and it seems to POST okay... one short beep...
Then the ASUS logo and a screen that has the motherboard's name comes on, with some text at the bottom about pressing Tab or Alt-F2 to get to the POST screen or the EZ Flash utility respectively...

Unfortunatley, it's not running the install disc that's in the CD drive or the OS off the HDD... and it doesn't actually respond to the keyboard... I usually have a wireless keyboard and I even dug up a wired one just to see if that would do anything... the keyboards get power (even the wireless one), as do the HDD and CD drive...

Oh, and it says, "Capability, Stability, Reliability"... and tech support's off for the holidays... and I'm covered in dust...

Happy holidays!!!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts