Anyone try the new SSD HD's?

• Daniel Saltman
  • Born
  • Born
  • Daniel Saltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyone try those new SSD hard drives? I guess they're supposed to be crazy fast but they're also crazy expensive. I almost bought a little 32GB one to run windows on but it was $100 so I decided against it.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Operating Systems don't appear to be ready to take full advantage of SSD yet. A recent benchmark actually placed Windows 2K in the lead for performance, suggesting that Microsoft for one was thinking in a different direction.
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

no, SSDs are not the way forwards yet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_drive#Disadvantages

Even if you are willing to pay the amount and have your second - non ssd - drive for files, a cheap (less than, oh $700?) SSD will be prone to corruption within a year of standard use. I recommend getting a 2nd hdd - with low capacity but relatively high rpm, cache and read/write times to run windows from - its comparatively cheaper than one larger hdd with the same speeds. you could try a raid setup of course.
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do not defrag SSD (Solid Stated Drives/Solid State Hard Drive/Solid State Hard Disk Drive/SSD SHDD SHD whatever tag you want to put)
I think the link is here:
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/f ... ii_2_5-ssd

The link is not working though.

As for my computer usage, I have a 100GB (no bigger) for running the OS and I think it is 7200 rpm.

I am curious about loading an OS from a SSD. What kind of cache is available? What kind of seek time?
I wouldn't need too much space, just 10-20 GB. Maybe I could run the other IDE/SATA to a larger capacity disk.
I have been thinking about a custom small computer and how the flash cards used for cameras have as much as 16-32 GB...I don't know the speed on their seek and I don't know if they have cache....
They are small, though!
Imagine that in a super small laptop.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts