• Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will be keeping my fast HD with XP and will replace:

Motherboard Abit KT7 to Abit nforce
Ram Dual PC400 to 1GB
Processor AMD 1.3 to AMD 2800 (333fsb)

I have only used up one of my activations so can I just replace these bits and PC will just boot up and all I have to do is put in my activation code in again?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've never tried what you're considering, but given the substantial change you plan in your hardware, you'll probably need to reactivate.

From M$
Quote:
Product Activation keeps users from changing or upgrading their hardware.

Not true at all. Users can change or upgrade their hardware. One of the forms of piracy that Product Activation guards against is hard disk imaging. Not all forms of hard disk imaging are illegal. In the case where a pirate copies data from one PC hard drive to another to illegally run the software on two PCs, Product Activation stops that by forcing the copied software to be reactivated. It does so by comparing the hardware on which it was activated to the hardware on which it is now being booted. If the hardware is substantially different, then reactivation is required. If it is the same or similar, then the software will continue to work. Those who upgrade their PC's hardware substantially may be asked to reactivate. Reactivation for this reason is easy and can be completed by contacting Microsoft to obtain another confirmation ID.

Link here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodte ... dactv.mspx

My first concern given your planned changes would be "is the hard drive even going to boot?" I'm wondering what effect the changes would have on the master boot record.

The second thing is what happens when/if XP does boot and doesn't recognize the new hardware. I'd have to assume the plug-n-play would assign generic drivers and give you the opportunity later to run your new driver disks to complete the upgrade.

I don't know -- like I said I've never done it. JUst tossing out the first thoughts that come to my mind if I were going to attempt it, in case you hadn't thought about it or researched it.

But as noted above, I'd expect to have to reactivate. At least that seems pretty definite.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hear what they are saying but if you were to upgrade the processor then you have to upgrade motherboard + ram unless a AMD1.4 plugs into the motherboard and PC133?

Then I install the Athlon 2700 XP after the 2nd reboot?

Then I install the fast Ram on the 3rd Reboot?

I am going to order the parts at the end of the week and do some more research on Google.
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would reccommend buying the parts from newegg
thats where i got mine and the stuff got here 5 days after i ordered cause i ordered on a Sunday
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

doh I dont think I can plug a AMD1.3 into that board. There is no information on the web but from what I hear it will most likely give me a BSOD and I will have to re-install windows and run the activation.

Its too much hassle and I will just wait till I get the time (maybe xmas).
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

HEEELP

My PC broke so I got those nice new parts and before it even loaded windows or DOS prompt it gets a "CMOS checksum error" and stops working - wont even reboot - i can enter bios thats all - all parts are detected.

I have reset BIOS and then goes bacl to "CMOS checksum error" and stops working. :cry: :cry: :cry:
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

it sounds to me like your motherboard's bad
at school today i had to reset the real time clock and it booted fine

but try getting another of the same motherboard
  • DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd try reseating all the components first. Check no metal is touching the board (i've seen it before where there is a pillar for screwing the motherboard into on the case, but no hole where that pillar is, so the pillar touches the circuitry! FIZZLE!!

Take it back to a very basic install so remove anything not essential to the boot - CD-ROM, network card, sound card, 1 stick of RAM etc and see if it boots then.

Also try going into the BIOS and see if there is a 'Load safe settings' option (will be called something like that anyway if it has it). It could be that one of the settings is too high for something in your machine.

But yes as twmspro suggested, it could definitely be a faulty board.

Back to the original question, i've replaced my mobo several times and not needed to re-install. It normally whirrs away for half an hour asking for reboots & drivers all the time, then you normally have to supply it for drivers etc when it asks. But it normally works for me. Just back up all your data beforehand!!

S
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

also
i would set the processor speed to 1.2ghz just for checks in case for some reason its overheating and is messing something up

like mine is right now
but at 1.24ghz it runs cool
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

erm stupid question to twmspro... why don’t you get a good heat sink and fan fan for CPU (but then again it might be a long story so no need to answer that one).

...anyway back to my problem... I ordered a Abit GURU board that checks for errors and I will try it tonight... carefully (microdrect.co.uk are being a little slow contacting me on a refund). If it all goes tits up I will punch a hole into my wall using my fist and look forward to legal drugs in Amsterdam to calm me down (I have booked the trip for the end of this month :) )
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

if the trip thing is cool
then cool

btw:I havent ordered the hsf yet.
im kinda a procrastinater
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh yeah the new Abit AN7 Guru motherboard works and also kicks ass. It gives feedback to fan speeds and temperature and overclocking settings via graphical windows interface and keeps error logs and error reports via 2 digit LED on the motherboard.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts