Ps3

Arguement about ps3 and 7800 GTX 512 mb SLI

• Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys, My friend and i are having an arguement on what will be better... he belives that the ps3 will be better graphics wise

but i belive a Top end with EVERYTHING top end like

Fx 57
4 gigs of ballistics ram
2x 7800 GTX 512 mb SLI

or the 1800 XL i don't know... so what would be better ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

£381 graphics card...

X2 for SLI

£762 of video power.

the ps3 will retail for no more than £299 i hope...

that doesn't include the £740 for the fx57
around £1400 for vid cards and cpu....

4gb ballistic ram?..

im not even going there, the ps3 wont stand a chance imo.

even the 360 games dont look to impressive to me, compared against my 6800NU

but we have only seen the first games
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also for these new generation of consoles, their processing speed is no more than what, 1 GHz of Intel. That is garbage. Just the processing power of 2 7800 gtx's overclocked 10mhz is more than that. Than you also have the 2.8 Ghz FX-57. You also have to think about resolution. TVs display at 640x480 ( I THINK ), and not sure about the DPI. Computers display at 1280x1024 for the most part. So it is logically impossible IMHO.
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

uh u got ur prices wrong the 7800 GTX 512 mb version is one card witch by itself equals 700 dollars so two of those....

thanks!
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

The PS3 will most likely beat any PC for about a year's time. Also, next-gen consoles are designed for HDTV so resolution is a moot point. The processing power of the PS3 far outweighs anything available on a PC.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Skirge wrote:
uh u got ur prices wrong the 7800 GTX 512 mb version is one card witch by itself equals 700 dollars so two of those....

thanks!

£381 per 7800GTX....

£££ not $$$

tom, you really think the ps3 has more processing power?

the reason people think this, is because it has a much much much smaller instruction set

that doesn't mean that the game will look any better, it will have the power to calculate physics and game processes, but graphics?

i dont see how the ps3 can push more poly's than 2 7800's

but of course, no 1 really knows what it is capable of yet
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

The extra processing power can be used for graphics if needed. Also, look at the Xbox 360, there is no disputing that it outclasses any PC available right now. I'm a hardcore PC gamer but realize that for the 1st year that consoles are released, they rule the market technology-wise.
  • xamix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xamix

Post 3+ Months Ago

blink182av wrote:
Also for these new generation of consoles, their processing speed is no more than what, 1 GHz of Intel. That is garbage. Just the processing power of 2 7800 gtx's overclocked 10mhz is more than that. Than you also have the 2.8 Ghz FX-57. You also have to think about resolution. TVs display at 640x480 ( I THINK ), and not sure about the DPI. Computers display at 1280x1024 for the most part. So it is logically impossible IMHO.

Processing speed????
Quote:
As previously announced, the PlayStation 3 will be powered by an IBM PowerPC multi-processor with a clock speed of 3.2 GHz and the capability to reach 218 GFlops.(...)
The main memory does not lag behind either, with 256 MB of XDR (specially adapted for this type of processor), while in tandem the video memory, will also reach 256 MB, composed of DDR at 700 MHz.(...)
On the graphics side, the partnership with Nvidia has led to an amazing processor christened the RSX "Reality Synthesizer," which can carry out its calculations for pixels with 128 precision bits and with a resolution of 1080 lines (that is, the precise norm for "true" high resolution). By comparison, according to Nvidia, this RSX graphics processor based on a 90-nm process, with a speed of 550 MHz and no less than 300 million transistors, is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultras. This means that the sky's the limit for developers and guarantees even more visual pleasure for gamers.

Are you kidding?
We are talking about a cell processor,ddr3 memory,etc,etc (1 ghz doesn´t always means that will beat 0.5 ghz in processing speed...take a look at amd and pentium),you are trying to compare processing units that are way slower than what ps3 brings (the mentioned cell processor and ddr3 memory):
Now...An NVIDIA 7800 GTX 512 is capable of around 200 GFLOPS,but that´s only the gpu...now read this:
Quote:
A cheap but modern desktop computer using, for example, a Pentium 4 or Athlon 64 CPU, typically runs at a clock frequency in excess of 2 GHz and provides computational performance in the range of a few GFLOPS(...)
For example, the Xbox 360 has been announced as having a system floating point performance of around one TFLOPS, while the PS3 has been announced as having 2.18 TFLOPS. By comparison, a high-end general-purpose PC would have a FLOPS rating of around ten GFLOPS, if the performance of its CPU alone was considered. The TFLOPS ratings of the games consoles would appear to class them as supercomputers, if the figures could be believed.

(you can see all this here in wikipédia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flops)
Now...see the ps3 total floating point performance (218 GFLOPS) and the gpu floating point performance (1.8 TFLOPS):

Code: [ Select ]
CPU

Cell Processor
   PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
   1 VMX vector unit per core
   512KB L2 cache
   7 x SPE @3.2GHz
   7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
   7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
   * 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
   total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS

GPU

RSX @550MHz
   1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
   Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
   Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Sound

Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell- base processing)

Memory

256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

System Bandwidth

Main RAM 25.6GB/s
   VRAM 22.4GB/s
   RSX 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
   SB< 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

System Floating Point Performance

2 TFLOPS

Storage

Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1

I/O

USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
   Memory Stick standard/Duo, PRO x 1
   SD standard/mini x 1
   CompactFlash (Type I, II) x 1

Communication

Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
   Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g
   Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Controller

Bluetooth (up to 7)
   USB 2.0 (wired)
   Wi-Fi (PSP)
   Network (over IP)

AV Output

Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
   HDMI: HDMI out x 2
   Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
   Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1

Disc Media

CD PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD, DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)
   DVD: PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
   Blu-ray Disc: PlayStation 3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE
  1. CPU
  2.    Cell Processor
  3.    PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
  4.    1 VMX vector unit per core
  5.    512KB L2 cache
  6.    7 x SPE @3.2GHz
  7.    7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
  8.    7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
  9.    * 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
  10.    total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS
  11. GPU
  12.    RSX @550MHz
  13.    1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
  14.    Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
  15.    Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines
  16. Sound
  17.    Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell- base processing)
  18. Memory
  19.    256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz
  20. System Bandwidth
  21.    Main RAM 25.6GB/s
  22.    VRAM 22.4GB/s
  23.    RSX 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
  24.    SB< 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)
  25. System Floating Point Performance
  26.    2 TFLOPS
  27. Storage
  28.    Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1
  29. I/O
  30.    USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
  31.    Memory Stick standard/Duo, PRO x 1
  32.    SD standard/mini x 1
  33.    CompactFlash (Type I, II) x 1
  34. Communication
  35.    Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
  36.    Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g
  37.    Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)
  38. Controller
  39.    Bluetooth (up to 7)
  40.    USB 2.0 (wired)
  41.    Wi-Fi (PSP)
  42.    Network (over IP)
  43. AV Output
  44.    Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
  45.    HDMI: HDMI out x 2
  46.    Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
  47.    Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1
  48. Disc Media
  49.    CD PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD, DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)
  50.    DVD: PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
  51.    Blu-ray Disc: PlayStation 3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

I always liked pc´s better than consoles...but ps3 is simply awesome,something like an artwork :)
One other thing...what would it cost a pc that could try to perform as well as this console?...like was said in the opening post...only a really top system with the best cpu,mobo,two sli gpu´s,best available mems and lot´s of it (just to compete with 256mb :D ),add a really good cooling system (watercooling?),a really good Power Supply Unit...and so on,ad so on....

here some interesting links:
http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ent ... /index.php
http://www.twitchguru.com/2005/05/26/th ... index.html
  • lemiwinks1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: out of my mind:its dark and scary in there

Post 3+ Months Ago

TomK wrote:
The extra processing power can be used for graphics if needed. Also, look at the Xbox 360, there is no disputing that it outclasses any PC available right now. I'm a hardcore PC gamer but realize that for the 1st year that consoles are released, they rule the market technology-wise.

imposible the console will never outmatch the pc. maby in game SALES but not performance they also may be more "classy" but the pc will always be the superior platform

the average PC gamer is a Hardcore gamer and is willing to pay in excess of two thousand dollars for a system. Console gamers are generally not fanatical like a good percentage of pc gamers and thus not willing to part with that kind of cash.

i personaly am willing to pay for my play and though i am one of the fanatical PC gamers i would buy a console in a heartbeat if i had a tv biger than a 9" and the cash to spare(i spend all of my money on my computer)

i will however give console game makers a big hand for taking such an inferior product(in relation to the gaming PC) and making such steller products for them

i dont mean to slam the PC or console gamer/system. if that is what you register from this post i sincerely apologise

and i do thind that the Xbox 360 will get kicked in the nads hard by the PS3

i also think that the x 1800 series of cards in a crossfire config will mop the floor with SLi(once again not disin)
i may do a head to head comparison between SLi 7800GTXs and CrossFire top end X1800 cards with 2 otherwise identicaly specd comps :)
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

lemiwinks1 wrote:
TomK wrote:

imposible the console will never outmatch the pc. maby in game SALES but not performance they also may be more "classy" but the pc will always be the superior platform

the average PC gamer is a Hardcore gamer and is willing to pay in excess of two thousand dollars for a system. Console gamers are generally not fanatical like a good percentage of pc gamers and thus not willing to part with that kind of cash.

i personaly am willing to pay for my play and though i am one of the fanatical PC gamers i would buy a console in a heartbeat if i had a tv biger than a 9" and the cash to spare(i spend all of my money on my computer)

i will however give console game makers a big hand for taking such an inferior product(in relation to the gaming PC) and making such steller products for them

i dont mean to slam the PC or console gamer/system. if that is what you register from this post i sincerely apologise

and i do thind that the Xbox 360 will get kicked in the nads hard by the PS3

i also think that the x 1800 series of cards in a crossfire config will mop the floor with SLi(once again not disin)
i may do a head to head comparison between SLi 7800GTXs and CrossFire top end X1800 cards with 2 otherwise identicaly specd comps :)

:grab: ATI FANBOY! =0 :shock:

lol, jus kiddin' lol

but i agree, the ps3 & xbox will look pretty, but thats only because of the screen res they will be running on for tv monitors.

from the looks, the 360 has finally decided to do proper shadows, some nicer bump mapping and obviously the poly count has gone up. but the pc has had that for ages ^_^

jusy my opinion, but i think that a pc will always out do a console. I really do wish they prove me wrong tho.
  • xamix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xamix

Post 3+ Months Ago

lemiwinks1 wrote:
TomK wrote:

Quote:
When Associate Editor Rich Brown asked the folks from Nvidia about the value proposition of high-end PCs vs. next-gen consoles, he didn't quite get the answer he was looking for. In his E3 PC gaming blog, Rich paraphrased the PR rep as saying that "if next-generation consoles represent the best that Nvidia and ATI can do at the time when those consoles launch, you'll still be able to count on PC hardware surpassing the PS3 and the Xbox 360--within a few years."

Quote:
If you buy the hype, the PS3's Cell processor--combined with an Nvidia-based RSX graphics processor--will offer stronger graphical performance than just about anything you can get in a current gaming PC. That means you're getting a whole system for less than what it would cost to buy a cutting-edge, high-end graphics card. But you don't have to take my word for it or even Sony's: the claim that the PS3 will offer the equivalent graphics performance of two GeForce 6800 Ultra cards working in tandem came from Jen-Hsun Huang, president and CEO of Nvidia. Current cost of those cards: about $500 each. Cost of Alienware's Aurora ALX SLI, which incorporates a dual 6800 Ultra configuration: nearly $5,000. And how many consumers are willing to pay hundreds extra for PC graphics cards that the manufacturer's own CEO admits are inferior?

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6233821-1.html

I rest my case!
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, for these consoles everything is made for eachother. The only reason the PS3 and Xbox 360 are good is because everything is OEM.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

everything is claimed... nothing is proven yet

I hope with the bottom of my heart that the ps3 will kick a $5000 pc's ass, but i know for a fact, that if it does, it will get raped when the next gen pc gcards come out.
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's pretty obvious that Xbox 360 graphics are better than anything a PC can produce right now. This will obviously change pretty quickly but for now consoles are king.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

played on a 360 on a high def tv..

in all honesty, i felt that the pc looked prettier..

if you take a game like HL2, all settings on uber high, it would come close, and that game is 2 years old now, but the games that are available are toonish lol
  • lemiwinks1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: out of my mind:its dark and scary in there

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
ATI FANBOY!

lol, jus kiddin' lol

ATi FANBOY no PC fanboy YES :oops: but other than the fanboy remarks right on

im still a dedicated Nvidea user(cept when im broke and to lazy to get a job and have nothin but ati in my parts bin)

tomk r u ok?(just bein mean) my friend has an xbox 360 and it has more issues than a constipated hundred year old on the top floor of a 5 story building with the only functioning toilet on the ground floor

Quote:
Well, for these consoles everything is made for eachother. The only reason the PS3 and Xbox 360 are good is because everything is OEM

yes blink in my opinion the only thing(allbeit a huge thing) to the advantage of the consoles

the difference is the ability to have hardware that can utilize the most amazing graphics on the face of the planet and then seting the software up to utilize the graphics as well. a good past example halo for the pc versus xbox(old tech i understand but bear with me) the xbox version is an incredible game but i showed the pc version to my friend ryan(a hardcore console gamer and casual pc gamer) and he was so impressed he went out, pawned his xbox version at gamestop, and went to target and bought halo for the pc and a pair of headphones with the extra 10 buchs from the console pawn(halo for the pc is equal to halo 2 in graphics but its halo 1 and costs 20 bucks versus the 40 for halo for the xbox and the 65 for halo 2)

i think that if the console game creators make use of the next gen optical media and make each game compatable with multiple levels of graphic spiffyness and then the console makers make different levels of graphics superiority(while keeping the reason someone would buy a console(so they dont have to deal with all of the other bulls*** that comes with a computer(viruses, drivers, crashes, compatability, windows, and costs) then they will be able to appeal with the casual gamer(the ones who just got a PS2 or X-Box last week) who don't want to fork over the money that can be put to use for a toy that they see as more worthwhile, and the hardcore gamers who arent afraid to pay to stay on the bleading edge.
my bit-more-than-a-cents-worth[/quote]
  • =[TG]= XNA
  • Born
  • Born
  • =[TG]= XNA
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hate sony playstations they have crap controlers that are tiny and wots so good about flippin hdtv.
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av

Post 3+ Months Ago

It all depends on the game, and the amount of detail the makers include. I would really have to see both the 360 and PC with the same game.

EDIT: So you guys will buy me 2 eVGA 7800 GTX KOs, I have an SLI board. You will also get me a 360, and buy me a game. I will do a comparison. :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts