Asus A8N-SLI 5 beeps on start up

• Sierra54
  • Sierra54

Post 3+ Months Ago

After completing a new build and installing XP Pro SP1 then 2 it ran fine for 1-2 days. After that I started to get a five short beep code on startup. This occurs soon after the startup beep, I don't think it's giving a six beep code. After the beeps windows starts up and all programs seem to be running fine. AiBooster will give me the following: CPU: 1.39v Memory: 2.6v PCIE:3.33v FSB:801.1 @2203MHz. CPU temps range from 29-42 C from idle to video processing.

System components:
A8N-SLI ver1.02 bios ver 1013
AMD 3700
eVGA 6800GS
Antec 500W smartpower 2.0
2 liteon dvd drives
WD2500KS SATA HD which only show as 127GB in windows. I'll fix later
Corsair Value Select 2*512

I have searched asus' website & forum with no help on this code. Googling give a possible cpu failure, but no solutions on a fix. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
  • rickatnight11
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Richmond, VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you sure it's the motherboard. Graphics cards can actually complain sometimes (like if their own power line isn't plugged in) and some cooling sytems if you have a third-party one. What does ASUS say is the cause of the 6 beep code?
  • Sierra54
  • Sierra54

Post 3+ Months Ago

I posted this issue on the Asus site forum with no replies. Also, I searched their site and was unable to find explanations on beep codes. I have double checked all connections and since my origonal post this pc is still running great, except for the beeps on startup. The graphics card is installed correctly. I've just been doing video editing so far and not really taxed the card too much. I don't have any games. How can I determine if the card is the culprit? Also, no third party cooling. All case fans plugged directly into psu, with psu 3 pin connector on chassis fan port 1. Cpu fan is plugged in correctly also.
  • Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not sure if this will help.

But here is a link to Beep codes for Award Bios, I believe that is what is on the Asus boards.

If you lookat the submissions, the last one states that 5 beeps are for a corrupted bios, and that the mb had to load from the spare bios.

Again I am not sure if this is your prob, but I would imagine that you could use the ASUS updater to update the bios and see if it stops.

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

hope this helps.

Dangles
  • Sierra54
  • Sierra54

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the suggestion. This seems more plausible since once XP loads everything operates normally. I have never had to update a bios before and am a little hesitent. Do I need to update the chipset drivers before bios? Also, I'm I better off doing a manual install of the updated bios or just let the auto updater from Asus do its thing? Finally, how to I save the current bios to revert back to if necessary?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Asus updater works very well, I have used it without issues.
  • Sierra54
  • Sierra54

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm still haven't resolved this issue. I have since called the Asus tech line. They indicated this seemed to be more than a 5 beep code, and to try testing the ram individually which i did with no change in the beeps. The best description of this is that the beep sounds like 1 short high pitched, 5 long high pitched, then one barely audible low pitched beep. I have the start-up recorded in mpeg up to the windows display. Is there a site I could post this on so someone could help explain this code? Other than the beeps the pc runs fine. Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Asus A8N-Sli Bios 1013, AMD 3700, eVGA 6800GS, 2x512 Corsair 3200 ValueSelect, WD 2500KS Caviar SATA, Antec Smartpower 2.0 500W, 2 Liteon dvd burners.
  • Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wonder if it has something to do with the CPU. I am assumming that its air cooled. Could it be that the fan speed on the CPU is spinning too slow, and the onboard is reporting that.

Maybe try to go into the BIOS and see if you can disable the fan monitoring and see if it stops. If that does it, maybe its tome to change out the fan.

Also, I believe all the ASUS mobos have an audio POST also, with a computerized voice. Do you have this enabled? If not try enabling it and see if it says anything.

Just a suggestion.

Dangles
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

im pretty sure its the videocard it happend to me but i wasent sure how many beeps it gave me but there is a plug for the molex connector Very close to the top Pci-e Slot you need to plug that in

i hope it helps

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/1604/boardb0us.jpg
  • lincx
  • Born
  • Born
  • lincx

Post 3+ Months Ago

im also having exactly the same problem as yours, i spent whole day googling the solution,, but i cant find clear solution.. im using cheap asus board p5l-mx,., 5-6 annoying beeps in window startup ehh!?,, i think it isnt hardware related because my pc is still working superb.. it just make me worry though..
the beeps really annoying.. i also posted same thread .. please checkout .

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php? ... ost4143069

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts