Asus A8N .

• alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Pakistan

Post 3+ Months Ago

This motherboard has 2 PCI-Express slots right ? My question is that do we have to install to same PCI-e cards in those slots? Or it dosent matter we can install any graphic card in either pci-e slots ?
  • Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you referring to running 2 vid cards in SLI mode?

If so, I believe you need to use 2 of the same cards.

Dangles
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Two cards of the same chipset [ I.E. 7900GT + 7900GT ], the manufacturer type is no longer an issue.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Same chipset ? You mean like i can use Geforce 7900GT along with Nvidia 7900GT ? I didnt get what you meant by the chipset and the manufacturer.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes the chipset is basicaly the GPU [ Graphics Processing Unit ] of the graphics card. Things like :

1. 7900GT
  2. 7800GTX
  3. 7300GS <-- pile of turd :)
  4. 6800XT
  5. etc

All those numbers refer to the chipset on the graphics card. If you take away the letters at the end, you get the chipset series.

A few months back, you were only able to use SLi with graphics cards that were from the same batch [ meaning you had to buy both cards at the same time from the same manufacturer ]. nVidia have since updated their ForceWare drivers so that you can buy one card from one manufacturer now [ I.E. XFX, BFG, Asus etc ] and then buy another card later on, either from the same manufacturer or a different one. The only thing that is required to be the same is the chipset.

Hope that clears that up, if not just say. :)
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okey i think i got it. Oh and by the way does a8n series have builtin graphics ?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

alamode wrote:
Okey i think i got it. Oh and by the way does a8n series have builtin graphics ?

No, the A8N series doesnt have onboard graphics ... I didnt relise this myself until I burnt out my GPU trying to overclock it [ went a bit far ].

Personaly though, I dont care that it doesnt have onboard ... the boards are brilliant and cannot fault them on anything.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh dear.. That means i have to spent on the Pci-e card as well. No a8n32 for me at the moment then. Have any idea how much a decent PCI-e card is going to cost ? Dont want anythin extra ordinary or something really cheap and worthless. Recommend me a Pci-E card please.

Also how much do you think will these things cost me:

Amd athlon 64 3500
Asus a8n Premium
and the pci-e card you suggested.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

256Mb XFX 6800 XT £88 from Scan.co.uk

There are cheaper cards, like the 6600 series, but they are only about £10-£20 less, not a massive difference, and you do get alot more on the 6800 for just that small extra amount.

With the AMD64 3500+, the A8N-SLi Premium and the XfX 6800XT from Scan.co.uk, the total came to £224 inc VAT minus delivery [ next day fro £10 ].
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm i wont have to worry about delivery issues because im going to buy it from a shop. Most of the sites dont ship to the country i live in, pakistan .. *Sigh* Anyways thanks alot bro for helping me out. Will try to get those goodies soon.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

alamode wrote:
Hmm i wont have to worry about delivery issues because im going to buy it from a shop. Most of the sites dont ship to the country i live in, pakistan .. *Sigh* Anyways thanks alot bro for helping me out. Will try to get those goodies soon.

No problem, good luck with it. :D
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh yea, if you know any sites that ship to pakistan do tell me ... :D That'd be great.

Thanks alot mate.
  • limbo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • limbo
  • Loc: Pitcairn Island

Post 3+ Months Ago

Get an A8N-E; awesome board. But I reckon you should just get a 3200+ venice core, if you want more power couple it with a Zalaman and you can hit 2.7ghz on air. Although that's not adviseable lol.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whats a zalaman by the way ?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts