ATAPI CD-ROM Problem...

• The^Watcher
  • Student
  • Student
  • The^Watcher
  • Loc: Sabah, Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

helo Evrybody...

i had a problem regarding my CD-rom and my CD-RW...
After I change my IDE cabel... i find it that i cannot using my PC..
It is because of some error msg after i trying to start up my PC..
The msg look like this...

"Verifying DMI pool data...

Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM:
Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM:

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK
AND PRESS ENTER"

What do it mean??? Do it cause by the hard disk?? or it cause by the CD-ROM itself???

How do i get this system disk???(If any...)
for your information... i use 1 IDE cabel for my CD-RW and using other IDE cabel for the Hard disk and CD-ROM... as jor my jumper setting for the CD-RW (Secondary Master), Hard disk (Primary Master) and CD-ROM ( Primary Slave)

help me regarding my problem...
Thank you.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ShEDeViL
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

You don't have a cd in the cd-rom do you? Or a disk in the floppy drive? Are you hitting enter when it gives you the "Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM" prompt?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also double check your boot sequence in Setup. If you don't have your hard drive listed in the boot sequence (assuming you don't have a bootable CD in the CD drive as mentioned by SheDeViL) you might get such an error. I'm inclined to agree with her though. The first thought that comes to mind is that you have your CDRom set to first boot device and you have a non-bootable CD in it.
  • The^Watcher
  • Student
  • Student
  • The^Watcher

Post 3+ Months Ago

yupsss...i had check it... there is no cd nor floppy in it..
yes.. i hit the enter when the prompt appear... but yet it still want the system disk...
what wrong with my PC???
  • ShEDeViL
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try not hitting enter when the prompt appears... Your hitting enter tells it that you want it to boot from the cd-rom, which you don't.
  • The^Watcher
  • Student
  • Student
  • The^Watcher

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmm... in that case.. what should i do if the same error appear???
and for your info... in Bios (boot Piority)

1st Boot = Floppy
2nd Boot = HDD 0
3rd Boot = CDROM
Other Boot = -

how do it happen...
do it related with my hard disk or MisConfig in Bios...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's not recognizing your hard drive then.
Check the cable. Unplug it and plug it back in and try again.
Make sure you plugged the proper connection into the hard drive.
Someone double check me on this, but I'm pretty certain I remember the "top" plug is for slave drives - the "bottom" one (about an inch below) is for the master hard drive.

Going back to your original post, it might be enlightening to know why you changed your IDE cable to start with.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

//moved to Hardware and removed your cross-post
  • The^Watcher
  • Student
  • Student
  • The^Watcher

Post 3+ Months Ago

i has replug it in proper way... as for the hard drive use the middel cabel plug and the cd-rom in the top of it, but it appear the error... oh almost forget.. do hard drive sensetive to what type of cabel which it connected, because the original IDE cabel for hard drive already broke... and now i using other cabel for it.. which is for cd-rom only..
do i have to config in BIOS so that the hard disk can be detected???
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

The^Watcher wrote:
because the original IDE cabel for hard drive already broke... and now i using other cabel for it.. which is for cd-rom only..

Not sure what you mean by this, and unfortunately, I only got 3 hours sleep last night and right now I'll only get five hours tonight, so I'm off to bed. I hope someone else is around now that can help you solve it. Otherwise I'll look again in the AM
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Last note. If you did nothing to your hard drive and "assuming" your operating system is still intact, given your boot configuration, if no disk is detected in the floppy, then your computer will look next to your hard drive for the operating system. If it doesn't find it, then based on the fact that the only info you've given is that you replaced the cable, either the cable is bad or it's plugged in wrong. If not, your hard drive no longer has an operating system on it. *see below

The other alternative is that you did something prior which screwed up the operating system on the hard drive and you thought the cable might be bad and replaced it because of that. You haven't made it clear what was happening that caused you to need or want to replace the cable.

It's a little difficult to tell right now, but at the moment, the BIOS simply cannot tell what to do to boot to an operating system since it can't find it.
  • The^Watcher
  • Student
  • Student
  • The^Watcher

Post 3+ Months Ago

The^Watcher wrote:
because the original IDE cabel for hard drive already broke... and now i using other cabel for it.. which is for cd-rom only..

hmmm... how do i explain it...
okay... hmmm the actual cabel for the Hard disk is already broke...
and now i'm using the IDE cabel which is for the CD-ROM only...
if i'm not mistaken there is a difference between the Hard Disk and the CD-ROM IDE cabel...isnt?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm....OK, then. So you had originally two cables? Correct? One that was used exclusively for the hard drive, and the other went to your CD ROM (thruthfully it's very hard to understand you, but I think that's what you are saying.

So one cable went bad for your hard drive. So you combined the one that was being used for your CD ROM and now both your hard drive and CD ROM are using the same cable? On the same Controller?

Then double check the jumper settings on your CD ROM. If both the CDROM and the Hard drive were on separate cables before, then the CDROM jumpers may be set to Master. Reset them to Slave and Make sure your hardrive is set to Master and try again.

If that doesn't work, I'm clueless.
  • ShEDeViL
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

You might also want to check to make sure that you didn't accidently unplug one of the power cables when you were switching the IDE cables.

One thing that you might want to do to verfiy that the problem isn't with your harddrive is to unplug the cd-roms and see if your computer will boot from the harddrive. I would concentrate more on getting your computer to boot from the harddrive and then plugging your cd-roms back in. That way you will be able to figure out what exactly is causing the problem.
  • hiryux
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

One thing that might be the problem... I think if you have the jumper settings in your hard drive wrong, it might cause this problem? For instance, if you have the hard drive (i always write hardrive... i'm getting bad at typing) set to slave and that's your only one, you might be in trouble.

I'm not sure if that's the problem, but you could give it a whirl.

Make sure your hard drive is set to master if it is your primary one.

Hope it helps =)
  • jsnake
  • Born
  • Born
  • jsnake

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had the same problem although my brother in the air force said that it might have some thing to do with switching parts in and out of the computer although now when i start my computer up it just beeps really loud. can anyone help me with my beeping problem?
  • Resi
  • Born
  • Born
  • Resi

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have the same problem with my CD-ROM.I performed every suggestion above but still not working.The problem appeared when i started Windows installation.Everything was OK until the installation get to the point when the Windows CD is required and then : Please insert the original Windows bootable disk!I press ENTER but the system still does not recognize any disk in the CD-ROM.What to do?
  • ugto_ugto
  • ugto_ugto

Post 3+ Months Ago

shedevil's right...try to boot first at your hard disk...unplugging first the cd rom and your cd rw. try it at ide1 and ide2.
if it goes well then try plugging your optical drives one by one to know which one bugs you. :)
  • Cooldeepxxx
  • Born
  • Born
  • Cooldeepxxx

Post 3+ Months Ago

The^Watcher wrote:
helo Evrybody...

i had a problem regarding my CD-rom and my CD-RW...
After I change my IDE cabel... i find it that i cannot using my PC..
It is because of some error msg after i trying to start up my PC..
The msg look like this...

"Verifying DMI pool data...

Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM:
Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM:

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK
AND PRESS ENTER"

What do it mean? Do it cause by the hard disk? or it cause by the CD-ROM itself?

How do i get this system disk?(If any...)
for your information... i use 1 IDE cabel for my CD-RW and using other IDE cabel for the Hard disk and CD-ROM... as jor my jumper setting for the CD-RW (Secondary Master), Hard disk (Primary Master) and CD-ROM ( Primary Slave)

help me regarding my problem...
Thank you.

The same problem i got when i changed my pc's hard drive. but when it asking for system disk i just putted windows 98 original cd and it start booting from cd.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts