ATi Catalysts vs ATi Omegas

• Ju
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Ju
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

"By removing the latest ATi Catalyst Drivers from my PC and installing the latest Omega Drivers, my games will run smoother and look better"

Discuss the above statement...

:D

(Just for reference, I'm running a 9700 Pro on AMD AthlonXP 2500+ with 512MB DDR400, cl3)
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

In case people are wondering what the Omega Drivers are, here's a link:

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Quote:
The purpose of the Omega Drivers is to provide gamers with an alternate set of drivers, ones that have more options and features than the original sets. The drivers contain optimizations, extra features (like OC capabilities), more resolutions and internal tweaks that can give them the edge in a gaming enviroment over the normal drivers, which are often tailored for synthetic benchmarks. All Omega driver sets are tested (unless noted) by myself in my own PC or in an alternate PC (in the case of the nvidia drivers) to ensure maximum compatibility and reliability.
  • Ju
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Ju
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks good.

I have the latest Catalysts installed, and am not experiencing any problems (aside from games freezing when AGP set at 8X - rectified by setting to 4X, resulting in a higher 3D-Mark score?!?!?).

I'm curious as to whether or not these Omega drivers will actually make any noticable difference to my computer's 3D performance.

Is anybody here able to make any comparisons between Catalysts and Omegas? 3D-Mark scores etc?

Cheers :D
Ju
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

man ill do anything that doesnt cost money to make my pc better so if this stuff really works ill probably switch to it but i got a question wat graphics cards work with it cuz i have an

ATI radeon 9600 se i hope this makes everything better
  • Jade456
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a 9800 pro. I wonder if I changed to the Omega if it would fix a weird bug I get. The screen distorts, almost blurry and with artificing. If I exist out and force a screen resolution change it fixes it---usually for a while. Any thoughts?
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's possible but I can't say for sure. Are you using the latest catalyst drivers?
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

My thoughts is if you want to fix something like that
you have to un-install every thing and start all over !
I personally have had Omega drivers corrupt very easy
were i've un-installed them used driver cleaner 3,
re-installed them ,and then they corrupt in about a weeks
time ....And if you go around to driver forums,you will find
it happens more than not with them.

I would install ATi Radeon Catalyst 4.9 Classic
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=862

Driver cleaner 3
http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

Try them and see if the same thing happens .

you should be able to un-install the old ,run driver cleaner ,reboot,
and install the new ,then reboot it should take 5 mins.

Just my tips : never install drivers on top of each other.
always un-install drivers ,then use driver cleaner before you install the new drivers.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have an Alienware Area 51M that is a little over a year old with a ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 using version 2.5.58 of the Omega drivers. Changing from the stock ATI drivers to the Omega showed me a leap in performance while playing Doom 3. I don't have any numbers on this, but the overall smoothness and quality noticeably increased. Further, the Omega drivers include the Radlinker overclocking utility to push your videocard even further. I am going to stick with the default setting on that section becuase I cant just go down to Frys and buy myself another video card for this. As always, your mileage may vary.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts