ATI Video Card? Something is Wrong.

• PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I have an ATI Radeon 256MB X800 XL. I haven't change my computers physical hardware configuration in atleast a few months, nor have I installed any gfx drivers recently and before this problem I had ATI Catalyst v6.3 drivers installed.

Anyway, I was trying to play Battlefield 1942 online the other day just like I normally do, and all the sudden my computer locked up and showed weird screen patterns and rebooted. Before that I think I made a post online about my screen messing up at boot. I didn't look for it because I'm afraid my computer is going to crash again before I finish writing this. Anyway, I figured weird, and I came back and tried again and my comp did the same thing (2 or 3 more times). Then it was sorta okay for a day or 2. Then I tried playing Company Of Heroes last night and BOOM, same thing happened, this time I couldn't even load windows, when it got to the screen it would bug out and my comp (sometimes) would restart by itself. Currently I'm looking at this forum with red specs all over my screen. Anyway, everytime I boot my computer, it's at the part where it checks RAM and the first screen you see and there is already red or blue lines across the screen in a pattern and it's all messed up even before it gets near windows booting (but only a little).

I managed to boot my computer fine in windows VGA mode and could run it at low resolution. I really think it's a graphix problem. I updated my ATI drivers to Catalyst 6.9 and I tried to give my gfx card a little more air in my case (even though it was working fine for the longest time).

I made it into 1024 resoultion mode, and as long as I don't do anything crazy my graphix card doesn't restart my computer anymore, but basically the card is useless. I think it's fried or something. I really don't want to waste 10 days and *attempt* to have ATI fix it on a warrenty, because I don't even think I have the receipt (I'm gonna look more after this post). Anyway, I was wondering if anybody knew of any utilities or possible solutions to it. I think it's because it's overheating, but I'm not sure if it was damaged, I think it might have been. My harddrives are fine, I know that's not the problem. I'm 90% sure it's my gfx card and I was thinking maybe my CPU, but that wouldn't make sense.

If someone had any ideas of something I could do yeah... thx.
  • avalanchez71
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • avalanchez71

Post 3+ Months Ago

It certianly sounds like an overheating problem. I'm assuming the fan on the GPU is working properly, and the heatsink isn't dusty.

Do you have your CPU overclocked? If so, sometimes that can also overclock the GPU because of the AGP/PCI-x bus speed. This happened to me with a 9800 Pro and an A-XP 2500 when overclocked to a 3200.
  • PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm well the card was working fine since June 2005 in the same case and everything, but yes my case is kind of cramped I think. I have it an extra slot away from any PCI cards, my mobo configuration doesn't really allow me to go further. I wonder if I melted a piece or something? It's weird cause the day it broke, it was actually far colder than usual in my house. It just doesn't make sense. Yes, the fan is working, and no there isn't really a heatsink that could possibly have dust on it. I need to de-dust my case, and buy a new case though. I already ordered a cheap 128MB temporary PCI-E card, because I have no onboard video and I applied for an RMA to ATI so they'd fix it. Hopefully they e-mail me about it so I can send it in for repairs. I'm going to buy a can of air and a case though too, so that might also help.

Thx
  • limbo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • limbo
  • Loc: Pitcairn Island

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah i'd say a temp prob or something wrong with your card, or a combination of the two.

The latter one has happened to me twice.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts