attempting to reinstall windows, problems with cd drive

• susancbk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • susancbk
  • Loc: New York City

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a computer I got from a family member that I want to do a clean install of windows xp. I'm however running into a couple problems.

First I realize the cd rom drive isn't working, so I cant put the reinstall cd in.
I plug in the external dvd-writer and am able to load the cd. I put in the serial number go through the steps, it says its going to restart and eventually does (after a bunch of other programs have to be terminated (this computer is bogged down with lots of programs/spyware/etcet/c).

however, when it restarts it dosen't go into that screen that is supposed to do the rest of the clean reinstall. I'm assuming this is because after restarting its looking for the cd in the cdrom, but since its not there it just loads windows again.

so- i figure my two solutions are figure out how to get the reinstall to work from the external drive, or figure out how to get the cdrom drive working.

In trying to figure out the cdrom drive- here's what i've done. Tray opens and clothes, green light shows some activity. however, the drive never shows up in my computer.
so its getting power but isn't connected , right? I open up the computer and this is proven true. the power is plugged in but the ribbon isn't.

Why would this be? Is this common for people to do when they use an exteranl dvd drive?
I attempt to plug the ribbon cable back in but there's this weird adaptor on the end... its like a small circuit board which has another connector on it. This connector dosent fit into the back of the drive, but the ribbon that plugs into the connector is the right size.

I would remove the connector and plug the ribbon straight to the drive, however, the power wires run from this connector.

This as far as i've gotten since I had to get some other stuff done, but any insights/solutions would be GREATLY appreciated- whether it be how to reinstall from an external drive or to fix the cdrom drive.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

The little circuit board dealie you speak of is probably a 2.5in IDE adapter for connecting laptop sized drives to desktop computers. Remove that, and plug the bare IDE cable into the back of the cd rom drive as well as any free molex power connector (the plastic yellow-black-black-red ones) and see what happens.
  • susancbk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • susancbk

Post 3+ Months Ago

i did that , removed the adaptor, and got a bare power cable to plug in. didn't work. was there anything else i should have done?
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there another device on that same data cable?
  • susancbk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • susancbk

Post 3+ Months Ago

ill have to check on that later when I get home.
here's some extra info I forgot to include- at some point in all this i had entered the system info and bios said the cdrom was uninstalled. I can't remember if this is when I had plugged the drive in or not.
  • susancbk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • susancbk

Post 3+ Months Ago

there is not another device on the same ribbon
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Make sure the CD Rom is connected to the Ribbon connection designated for Master.
Make sure the CD Rom jumpers are set for Master
Make sure it's in the second Controller slot on your mother board.
Make sure your Setup (CMOS) settings are set for CD as first boot device.
  • susancbk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • susancbk

Post 3+ Months Ago

its plugged in the second one from the outside on the mother board.

i moved it to boot cd first so it looks something like cd
cdrom (not installed)
c:\
a:\

how do i determine its the ribbon connection for master?

by the jumpers it says this
csm
sla
. . .
. . .

first it was below the c and s .. i moved it to the m and a.

its still not working
  • susancbk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • susancbk

Post 3+ Months Ago

actually, it does seem to be recognizing it.

it shows up in my computer- I can access the reinstal windows disc.

so I do that, enter the product key, it says its going to restart- at which time usually it'd restart and go into the reintall process-- however it dosen't, it just goes back into windows???
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Make sure you bios is set to boot from the cd first. This might be an option in itself, or you might have to adjust the boot order to put the cd-rom ahead of the hard drive.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts