Attention Gamers: What is SLI and do I want it?

• lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

An interesting read about a the new SLI technology available to some PCI Express motherboards. As the article says, this is not new technology. I had the same thing when I was running my 3DFX Voodoo 2s together. It is, however, something to keep in mind if you are shopping for a new MB. The technology has the potential to double your gaming quality:

http://xyzcomputing.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=26
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• The_torst
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • The_torst
  • Loc: Denmark

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd definetely go for it, but of course it implies that you have the $.... I heard that you don't necessarily double the performance, so one state-of-the-art card would be better than two that are half as good.

That's why I've been going for two 6800Ultras in SLI §;)
  • Flux
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

by adding a second card, which has to be the same as the first, you'll get roughly a 85% boost to your performance, which isent double but is still very very good!

and Torst is right, buying 2 mid range cards at the same time is not a good idea, you cant upgrade without selling both of them, and 2 6600GT's cost only £30 more than 1 6800GT, which will give you about the same perfomnce. But if all you can affored at the mo is a PCI-E mobo and a 6600 then SLI lets you have the option of adding a seconded 6600 in say a few months when the price has done down and you have the money.

So really SLI is great all round :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts