Audio is SSLLLLOOOOWWWW!

• carleton
  • carleton

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is so slow I can't play songs without becoming enraged...video is also slow. I have done nothing to the computer hardware wise. Can someone help me diagnose the issue.

Its an Acer Aspire 1640 1.6 GHz M 725 cpu, 512 megs ram, Home ed.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• carleton
  • carleton

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, I did recently convert the file system to NTFS via the command prompt...
  • fleamailman
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: geneva

Post 3+ Months Ago

probably wrong drivers for ntfs, find the new ones and play aroud as in my canned below

update the driver

runcommand
- press: winkey + r button
- type: devmgmt.msc
- press: enter
- doubleclick on the device in question
(opens the properties window of the device)
(if it opens a tree, continue down the tree to the one you want)
- click tab: driver
- click box: update driver
(if prompted or no joy, browse to the where the driver is stored)

to return to previous driver if the new one is worse

runcommand
- press: winkey + r button
- type: devmgmt.msc
- press: enter
- doubleclick on the device in question
(opens the properties window of the device)
- click tab: driver
- click box: roll back the driver
- click at prompt: agree
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wrong drivers for NTFS? That is a new one on me. Drivers are not built around NTFS or FAT32 they are designed for platforms such as Windows 98/ME/2000/XP or Unix/Linux or MAC.

The advice to update drivers is a decent one but the reasoning behind it is just silly.

Click THIS to download the audio driver for your laptop and then follow the above instructions to install them. Hopefully that will fix your problem.

HERE is the video driver.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Might want to try a cleanmgr and a defrag as well as making sure windows is up to date.

Would also make sure you don't have 37437462^833 things opening up when you turn the computer on. Won't hurt to run a quick update on your antispyware and antivirus software and then do a scan of each.

You do have antispyware and antivirus software don't you?

oooh - I made Guru.
  • fleamailman
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: geneva

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry, my wording then.

You lost driver between the change from fat32 to ntfs and yes drivers are not format type sensitive. downloading the driver using the model number from maker's site is best, but that advise has already been given to you. Under the laptop there is a SN number which in the search on the maker's site makes it more direct, if no joy, enter the type and series.

thanks
  • gratefy1
  • gratefy1

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have downloaded all of the updated drivers on the website Grinchy listed, but oftentimes, photos/animation/ graphics on some sites are blurry/pixelated and I am not getting a clear picture. I have downloaded the video driver listed, but it still doesn't work. Even when I get on Google...sometimes it's the nice bubbly letters...then the next time its the archaic looking flat letters with pixel shades....I have NO IDEA what to do about this and any advice would be greatly appreciated. I just got this laptop....and it would be nice to be able to have crisp pics and data a majority of the time. THanks!
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

That would be video drivers and some sort of memory leak. Maybe even bad video card (not positive on this one).

Sounds like a bad driver + some sort of spy/ad/mal/ware on your machine.

Can you give us specifics on the make, model, OS ver, RAM amount, Video card settings?

Also, some onboard graphics can change between using 1MB and 8MB of system memory permanently reserved. Make it 8 and make sure you have at least 1GB of RAM if using onboard graphics.

But check on the spyware ot any gfx enhancement programs that may be running. I think it may be a memory leak.
  • gratefy1
  • gratefy1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok..I will try and follow you here....*disclaimer...I know enough about computers to get by..and I a quick study..but have no idea what you are talking about in some instances. :)

Laptop: Acer 1640/Win XP Home Edition V. 2002 Service pack 2/ .99 GB RAM/ looking under display properties in the control panel...here is everything (more than you need probably) that I can tell you....: Video Card is Mobile Intel (R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family? location is PCI bus 0, device 2, function 0? There are 54 driver files in the driver details....plug and play monitor? says working properly but no driver files listed..says not required or none loaded..; in the general tab, DPI set to normal 96 dpi; in troubleshoot, hardware acceleration is set to full; under color management..current monitor listed as plug and play but no color profiles associated with device. THere is also an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Mobile on the tab as well...that you can go on for "more visual display options for devices attached to this computer.. and there is a graphics properties button that takes you there.

I have McAfee shield on my laptop installed from work...but have not downloaded anything like spybot or ? Do you recommend a specific one? I don't typically download anything except from the acer site...and itunes...but know those spyware sites can be sneaky.

Where do I go to "make it 8" ...? I have no idea about this one....so point me in a direction and I'll go !

Thanks for your help and patience!
  • gratefy1
  • gratefy1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is a bit of info for the extra intel graphics tab:?

Report Date: 11/04/2006
Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 10:10:30
Driver Version: 6.14.10.4332
Operating System: Windows XP* Home Edition, Service Pack 2 (5.1.2600)
Default Language: English
DirectX* Version: 9.0
Physical Memory: 1014 MB
Minimum Graphics Memory: 8 MB
Maximum Graphics Memory: 128 MB
Graphics Memory in Use: 10 MB
Processor: x86 family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8
Processor Speed: 1733 MHZ
Vendor ID: 8086
Device ID: 2592
Device Revision: 03
  • gratefy1
  • gratefy1

Post 3+ Months Ago

In the device manager...under display adapters there are 2 listed.... both say mobile intel (R) 915GM/GMS, 910 GML express chipset family. In one of them the location is PCI bus 0, device 2, function 0. the second one's location is listed as PCI bus 0, device 2, function 1. when I go to intels website to check out driver downloads...it asks me to choose between mobile intel 915 chipsets and mobile intel 910 chipsets.....where as the acer website had them grouped together as one?..and it's grouped as one on my device manager...so I don't know what exactly I have?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay. Acer laptop, 1GB of RAM and onboard intel extreme graphics.

The BIOS should have options to modify the properties of the reserved video ram. Usually rebooting the machine and hitting F1, F10, esc or some other key to get into the system setup (before windows loads).

I like Spybot Search & Destroy which can be fount at http://www.spybot.info/.

Alternatively if you need drivers you can find them at the Acer Support Site

I should add that the Acer support site stinks and the drivers they offer aren't up to date. Intel should have the 945 chipset unExtreme graphics drivers as well in a better update.
  • gratefy1
  • gratefy1

Post 3+ Months Ago

What would I do in the BIOS...? I don't know what to change/modify and what the settings should be ultimately...
  • gratefy1
  • gratefy1

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh..that is where the 8 is I bet...sorry...getting ahead of myself.
  • gratefy1
  • gratefy1

Post 3+ Months Ago

I went to BIOS setup and the only thing that I could find in there that said anything about video and memory was set at 125? MB and it would let me choose to lower to 64mb or go up to MAX ? so I put at 64 and when I got back online...the Google image was clear.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow. That's actually a nicer setup than most.

This is a newer laptop I take it?

Good job. Do me a favor and try MAX and see if that gives you a problem. If the higher amount causes the problems then it could very well be bad memory. Since that memory allocation is static, there could be bad addresses iin your memory stack.

I know this is a little too technical, but don't worry about that. I'm interested if the "MAX" setting can recreate your error.
  • kylegap
  • Born
  • Born
  • kylegap

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have the exact same problem with my ASPIRE 1640 Pentium M 2.0GHZ processor

I tried everything and still get that SLOW Noisy sound while listening to MP3s, DVD Movies or event the Windows XP Welcome sound....

I installed all new drivers, uninstalled not necessary software, cleaned windows using Spyware Doctor... still have that sound problem...
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Look on the Acer support site for the latest audio drivers on your machine.

Also make sure you don't have a billion programs loading up and update your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware and scan with both. You do have AntiVirus and AntiSpyware protection, right?

I would also give cleanmgr a whirl and clean up any useless temp files plus a nice good defrag.

Then give windows update a run or two, make sure its all up to date.

That should clear it up.
  • kylegap
  • Born
  • Born
  • kylegap

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just installed AVS DVD Player and it works fine with it... so I thought maybe it's Media PLayer, so I installed the noew Windows Media Player 11 and still do it using Windows Media player but works great with AVS, WHY!?!? I tried everything you told me to do...
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

DVD audio doesn't skip with the DVD player or regular sounds don't skip with the player?

Go to the control panel and select "Sounds and Audio Devices" Then go to "Speaker Settings" -> "Advanced" and then "Performance"

Make sure "Hardware Acceleration" is at full. If it still skips, drop "Sample rate conversion quality" down a notch.
  • kylegap
  • Born
  • Born
  • kylegap

Post 3+ Months Ago

Using AVS DVD Player, it works fine for DVD Movies.

But using Windows Media PLayer still get sound-noise-buzz listening DVD-Movies and Sounds and MP3s... looks like maybe it's the codecs or something!?!

I tried dropping the Sample rate a notch but still get the sound problems...
  • kylegap
  • Born
  • Born
  • kylegap

Post 3+ Months Ago

I played with the performances options in Windows Media Player, when I restart it after changing them, it works great for about 1 minutes then the noise comes back and the video looks slower... this is weird!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts