Bad Sectors on hard Disk

• pclovers
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Nagpur, India

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have old 40 gb hard-disk with bad sectors on it. I know it has lot's of bad sectors. Is any fast software available that can marked these sectors?
Please Help me,
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have a hard drive with a rapidly increasing number of bad sectors, why would you voluntarily continue to use it??

If you need to rescue data that might be retrievable, then I'd suggest "Spin Rite" by Steve Gibson.
http://grc.com/spinrite.htm
  • pclovers
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
If you have a hard drive with a rapidly increasing number of bad sectors, why would you voluntarily continue to use it??

I want to use it just for data carrying by joining USB cabel. It's better to use rather than throwing. My pc already has 80 gb harddisk.
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hope you have used this but I dont know any more thing to do. Right-click on that disk>Tools>Error-checking>check now> Press "Start" while checking both the options "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". Click yes when it prompts to run at next startup.
  • pclovers
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

pramitroy wrote:
I hope you have used this but I dont know any more thing to do. Right-click on that disk>Tools>Error-checking>check now> Press "Start" while checking both the options "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". Click yes when it prompts to run at next startup.

I have done it. It takes much time. So, I need any other fast software.
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Which disk is it? WesternDigital has a very good software(DataLifeGuard). But if you cant afford to lose data or change the disk you have to spend time.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts