bad sound driver?

• octobernightsky9
  • Loc: howell nj

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok well my problem is that i cant listen to n e music what so ever on my computer. when i turn on the speakers i get no noise and when i try to play something i get no noise. i went onto winamp to try and play some music and it wouldn't let me... instead it said i had a bad sound driver and some error code and when i go onto itunes it doesn't play. ALSO, when i go onto my instant messengers which is aim msn and yahoo i get no IM sounds although my speakers r turned on and the volume is up. when i go on aim and receive an IM or see someone sign offline and online my computer makes a beep noise. it doesnt make a beep noise on msn and yahoo. and i don't understand. i've tryed looking up on google bad sound driver and what i should do and i didn't find n e thing that helped me. i tryed locating my sound card which i have no clue ware it is but i went to http://www.computerhope.com/help/sound.htm to help me figure out ware it was and i kind of have an idea. so really my problem is i cant hear n e sound AT ALL, my computer makes a beeping noise whenever i get an IM, and i cant find my sound card. does n e body have an idea? if u can answer n e one of these questions or at least the whole thing it would be greatly appreciated. thnx!
:D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

What type of computer do you have?

Right click My Computer and select properties
Click the Hardware Tab
Click on Device Manager

Are there any yellow exclamation points? If so what are they related to?
  • octobernightsky9

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok well i went to device manager and there is a yellow exlamation point next to VGA device. the exlamation point is covering the question sign...
im not sure what kind of computer i have my dad built it but on the monitor it says KDS visual sensations.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The exclamation point next to VGA would not explain no sound.

What is listed under Sound, Video and Game Controllers in device manager?

Open up your Control Panel and double click Sounds and Audio Devices.

On the Volume Tab the sound card model should be listed. On mine it says SB Audigy 2ZS. What does your say?
  • octobernightsky9

Post 3+ Months Ago

k well i went there and under Scheme it says Utopia Sound Scheme but underneath that it says sound volume and a bar for the volume. the bar is all the way on low, but u cant click on anything and it looks like the words are engraved in the window. its kind greyish looking.. heres a screenshot of what it looks like.... http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i62/o ... topia2.jpg
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post a screen shot of the hardware tab. What version of Windows are you running?
  • octobernightsky9

Post 3+ Months Ago

screen shot of the hardware tab: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i62/o ... rdware.jpg

i think im using windows 2000
  • Rageweaver
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Rageweaver
  • Loc: FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK! I CAN SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM! This really actually did just happen to me...I just solved it 2 days ago. Ok. That picture before my post, the one at the end, what looks like the final selection of hardware, you want open that. Through properties or what ever it takes to Update Drivers. If there are no divers listed it will ask if you want to search the web for a driver. Select "For this time only" Or what ever yours says close to that. Update your driver, and reboot.

Problem Solved
  • octobernightsky9

Post 3+ Months Ago

can u explain this in more detail?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Rageweaver wrote:
OK! I CAN SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM! This really actually did just happen to me...I just solved it 2 days ago. Ok. That picture before my post, the one at the end, what looks like the final selection of hardware, you want open that. Through properties or what ever it takes to Update Drivers. If there are no divers listed it will ask if you want to search the web for a driver. Select "For this time only" Or what ever yours says close to that. Update your driver, and reboot.

Problem Solved

If I remember correctly, Windows 2000 does not do that but I could be wrong.

And for the record, the using the internet to find drivers does not work 100% of the time. I have used it and it didn't find my driver.
  • Rageweaver
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Rageweaver

Post 3+ Months Ago

...Hmmm... My friend is asking the samw Q...She uses 2000. Please grinch help meee!
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is listed under Sound, Video and Game Controllers in device manager?

Just in case you didn't know how to get to device manager

Right click My COmputer, select properties, click the hardware tab, click the device manager button.
  • Rageweaver
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Rageweaver

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like in XP, the speekers (Actual speekers) are listed in the Hardware.. alond with Audio Drivers and Lagacy Drivers and CD-ROM/CD-DVD Drives... But there was nothing there. (octobernightsky9 and I have been talking and she sent me screen shots and all.) She has the speekers pluged in but its not registering their there. Also, under the Audio tab the selections are shaded over in gray and are not accesable (Nothing to select) So I preposed to change the Sound Sceme to Windows Default and download DirectX 9.0. This was already installed. Help me grinch!
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Without knowing the soundcard name it is hard to resolve a driver issue.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your best bet would be to crack the case open and try to get a model number off of the motherboard and/or soundcard itself.
  • Rageweaver
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Rageweaver

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm....There should be a way to get it just with the model and maker of the computer... Giving that the computer was not built at home...
  • Rageweaver
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Rageweaver

Post 3+ Months Ago

She says it an E- something....Not E-Machine...E-Star I think. It's not a generic brand. Its a person who makes I think...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts