Battlefield 2 - are my specs okay?

• limbo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • limbo
  • Loc: Pitcairn Island

Post 3+ Months Ago

Allright I know that battlefield 2 is like a year old now and many of you are veterans of numerous battles. So I need your p.o.v, is a x700pro 128 gddr3, 3200+,1 gb ddr 400 ram enough to run bf2 at an acceptable level ( at around 40-50fps)? Also I heard that the loading times are horrendous and many people have SATA hardrives...bacause I dont know how to make the mobo recognise SATA, how will my PATA 133, 2mb buffer, 7200rpm hdd cope?

Thanks, in advance,
Nigel

I got another question, are all pc3200 ram dual channel? Also is it advisable to mix ram with different cas latencies?
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

-graphics card is decent, would upgrade it and the ram
-loading times arent bad. its the client authentication when using multiplayer
-yes, i think they all are. if your run ram with different cas, the mobo will auto-config with the highest [lowest performing] setting
  • limbo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • limbo

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh k cool, last question.

Is it adviseable to mix ram of different brands? I am mixing a 512mb generic "ph" brand ram with a Transcend (heard of it?) 1gb ram. I think the generic is a pc3200 ddr400 and so is the Transcend.

My motherboard states "Never mix rams with different CAS latencies" & "For optimal performance use ram from the same vendors" So I can still mix rams with different cas latencies and vendor?

Another thing my motherboard says it does not support double sided x16 chip ram, What the? Do these ram have 16 chips on each side or 16 chips on each side?
Thanks,
Nigel
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

youre fine mixing ram, its never beena problem for me. i mixed "ultra" and "unknown" and was fine. it will run at the higher latency and same clock rate though.

transcend is a great name, ive heard really good things about the notebook ram, cant see why their standard ram would be worse.

count the black rectangles on your ram sticks. if their are 16 on each side, the mobo might not support it
  • limbo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • limbo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for all your help man...really appreciate it.

I know i said last question but I came accross another thing while reading my mobo manual. It said that for ram; channel A must = Channel B. I must put my ram in such a way that if I had one ram i must put it in channel B1 and if i have two i must put the other in channel A1. If the ram in chnnel B1 is 1gb and the ram in channel A1 is 512, making channel B > Channel A. Will this harm my mobo?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts