best video card for about $150?

• jonathaw
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: newfoundland, canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey,

i'd like to upgrade my video card and i have scrapped together about $150 dollars. what's the best card i can get (retail) for that amount? should the pickings on ebay be any better?

thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been out of the loop on vid cards for a little while now but I think the Gforce are still edging out the ATI cards.

For PCI-express I found this - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 219&depa=1

For AGP there is - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 043&depa=1

These seem like 2 nice cards for the price. I have used Evga in the past and have liked their cards. I don't know much about the Roswill.

If I am off with these recommendations I am sure we will find out.

Hope this helps
Dangles
  • jonathaw
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the info. yeah from what i've read the gforce still have an edge but that depends on who you talk to.

i have both an agp and a pci solt available. what would be the difference between the two connections based on identical cards? also what's the deal with pci-e and pci-x? (i think that's what the two are called) may my system not be compatible with one or both? thanks.
  • Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles

Post 3+ Months Ago

PCI express is a relatively new standard. If you motherboard was built in say the last year odds are you don't have a PCI-express slot.

AGP is faster then a conventional PCI.

I am unable to explain the specifics behind the technology, but if you do a google search you can find some info explaining all the different technologies.

I hope this helps.
Dangles
  • jonathaw
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

[quote]
PCI express is a relatively new standard. If you motherboard was built in say the last year odds are you don't have a PCI-express slot.
[/quote]

thanks Dangles, although i think you meant if the mobo wasn't built in the last year, i won't have a pci-x. i have looked around and learned a little on the topic.

i do have more questions though. most of the video cards i'm looking at have 8X agp while my mobo only supports up to 4x. will such a video card still work with my system but not up to its full potential? sort of a 'underclock'? the reason is ask is i plan to build a new system within six months and i want to get a decent video card that can work with both systems. t

thanks
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think u can get an ATI 9800 pro for 150 or a little more
  • Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles

Post 3+ Months Ago

jonathaw wrote:
Quote:

Ugh, I just read what I wrote. That's what I get for not proof reading. Yes it should have said - "PCI express is a relatively new standard. If your motherboard wasn't built in say the last year, odds are you don't have a PCI-express slot.

Now that that is out of the way.

I believe that all the AGP cards a backwards compatible. So it should work though it will only work at the 4x speed.

Hope this helps.
Dangles
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
i do have more questions though. most of the video cards i'm looking at have 8X agp while my mobo only supports up to 4x. will such a video card still work with my system but not up to its full potential? sort of a 'underclock'? the reason is ask is i plan to build a new system within six months and i want to get a decent video card that can work with both systems. t

thanks

Yes, AGP 8x and AGP 4x are backwards compatible. Also, the difference between AGP 8x and AGP 4x, so you won't even notice a difference between the two standards.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try and scrape the money together for a 6600GT, they are arround $230 but are far better than any old generation grapfics card.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts