Black Screen on boot up, no mobo beeps

• Hark
  • Born
  • Born
  • Hark

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I turn on my PC it seems to boot up normally but the screen goes blank when Windows XP should normally load. It displays the setup but then it just goes blank, I get no beep codes or error messages.

I can get it working about 50% of the time but still havet solved it. Ive cleaned it the pc inside, reseated ram checked video card and monitor all ok.

I do not get an accurate RAM reading (I have 1gb but reads as 256) but never have done since I upgraded the ram. Cud this b conected?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does your video card support 2 monitors. Could a setting be getting changes to output to a different monitor? The ram problem is troubling. How many sticks of ram do you have? When you installed them, did you run memtest on them to make sure that the sticks were good?

Give us the specs on your rig.

Dangles
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is the speed of the 1GB the same as the 256 and or is the 1GB speed supported?

What is the Max size supported. If you aren't sure install and run PCWizard 2006 and it will tell you

http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php
  • Evenhost
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

have you checked the cables conecting your harddrives to your mobo? I have had problems with this before because the comp starts the bios and everyhting is good untill it starts the hardrive to boot the os also is your hardrive good? have you listend to it to make sure its spinning?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you install your new 1GB of memory with the computer on your bed while you were standing on carpet? Without nitrile gloves and anti-static protection? Could you have jammed the ram in and bent the motherboard just a "wee little too much"?
  • Hark
  • Born
  • Born
  • Hark

Post 3+ Months Ago

Soz 4 slow reply havet been able to check

Is working now about 50% of the time (hitting f1 on bios screen seems to help duno why)

Running advent 3000, P4 3.06ghz, 1 stick of 1gb RAM, geofrce 5500

Ram has been installed about 6 months, was done with no static and didnt touch metal....worked fine for 6 months or so.

Will check mobo cables but at 1st glance all looked ok. The ram is higher speed cos supplier did sell my speed ram anymore as its oldish mobo. Ram shud downscale to correct speed.

I used to run a 512mb stick (NEVER 256!) so duno where that reading is from. My CPU properties shows correct ram value.

Hope this is clear will check in a day or 2. Thx
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

1.) Do you still have that 512MB chip?

2.) Where does it say you have 256MB of RAM?

3.) Do you have access to a spare video card?

4.) What kind of Power Supply?

In my experience I have seen RAM display wrong at the BIOS screen due to a bad memory module. Even though the memory "worked" for 6 months is irrelevant. The computer not booting and showing the wrong size are two symptoms that would scream bad memory. I would then swap out the memory to see if that worked. If that doesn't work, it still doesn't clear the memory but shows that maybe the memory socket or motherboard is bad. They key would be to use another set of memory and another video card. If that doesn't work, then your motherboard could be shot. This is usually caused by a crappy power supply that spiked the voltage and fried the components.

Alternatively, if your computer isn't in the best of "conditions" then that could lead to a failure. Dust, house power, jars and drops, etc...

The biggest thing is not having the computer on a UPS or at least a Power Surge Suppressor with Automatic Voltage Regulation.
  • Hark
  • Born
  • Born
  • Hark

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. yer i boxed the 512mb bk up

2. black scree right at start - bios sreen?

3. nope spare gfx

4. standard that came with it
duno m8 standard spec psu

Its been ok today if it happensa again ill dro te old ram modue c if that works.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts