Blackberry venture into the tablet market

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Blackberry have announced the PlayBook device which has received a number of positive reviews so far. I fully expect this device to give the iPad a run for its money.

BBC News Technology

I was never totally excited about the iPad, although i sort of wanted one. Having read about this Blackberry PlayBook though i am pretty interested in purchasing one.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It does look pretty slick, and is probably coming at a good time considering RIM's declining market share in the mobile device market (although they're still the current leader).

Quote:
The operating system will not use the new Blackberry OS 6 but has instead opted for QNX software, which was recently acquired by RIM and has extensive expertise in embedded systems for the car.

The new OS is designed specifically for the tablet size computer and will avoid the difficulties that come from adjusting a smartphone OS to the tablet platform.

I'll be interested to see how this pans out.

Quote:
The Playbook will have Bluetooth and WiFi. It will have no 3G capabilities but will enable 3G data connecting by tethering to a Blackberry smartphone.

This sounds like a huge drawback in my opinion. If I have a device like this, I'd definitely want it with a wireless data plan and not just wifi. I couldn't justify the purchase otherwise.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Quote:
The Playbook will have Bluetooth and WiFi. It will have no 3G capabilities but will enable 3G data connecting by tethering to a Blackberry smartphone.

This sounds like a huge drawback in my opinion. If I have a device like this, I'd definitely want it with a wireless data plan and not just wifi. I couldn't justify the purchase otherwise.

I think the key market they want to appeal to the most is businesses whereas the iPad for example seems to be focused on the average Joe as well, the chances are people using this will have it in an area they have access to wifi networks anyway, so in my opinion it's not really a huge drawback.

The only thing i see 3G handy for is if you have a smaller handheld device such as a smart phone where it is often handy checking emails out or general web browsing for shorter periods of time. People using a Tablet device are likely to spend more time browsing than they are on a Smart Phone. 3G is good to have though, but not a deal breaker for me.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, having said that i wonder how probable it would be to connect to 3G on another device that may not be a blackberry smart phone via the bluetooth connectivity?

I'm not clued up in all this so i am sure there is probably an explanation why this may not be possible. It would be pretty good though.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I read a few more articles about this thing found via Google News when I couldn't find any mention of battery life in the linked article. I can't seem to find anything about battery life other than people speculating it will be "solid" based on the track history of RIM. I did find mentions that for the first time, this is going to be a Blackberry device that doesn't have a removable battery.

Given the Bluetooth, HDMI cameras and outputs, widescreen display, and support for Flash, I'm guessing the battery life on this things first version is going to be something a lot of online reviews have an opinion on when this thing does come out.

It looks like the second generation of this thing should have connectivity other than Bluetooth/Wi-fi, but nobody seems to know exactly what kind of connectivity. If you ask me, I see a lot of existing Blackberry owners being the ones who buy this thing, so the tethering with a Blackberry for "standalone" Internet connectivity probably isn't going to be too much of a drawback.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd buy one of these before ever buying an iPad. I refuse to purchase anything made by Apple.
  • AdamC
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like the look and the feel. i am not a big fan of blackberry phones but this has grabbed my attention definitely going to find out more about the blackberry playbook

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts