Blue screen after windows install...

• fourtytwo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

What's goin on guys? Long time visitor first time poster. Never really had an issue until this build on this PC. Aimed to have an entry level gaming rig at about $700 and wow have the problems rolled in... So here's the thing. I've gotten windows installed which wasn't a problem, went on smooth. Then it restarted and entering windows for the first time and every time just before it jumps in there BAM blue screen. It's a short blue screen not the general virtual memory dump I'm used to seeing. It's about a quarter of the way down the page in text length.. The bits to the computer are listed below..> I can't find anything on google or anything... The bios updates don't seem like they would help my situation so what do you guys think?

CPU 3000+ Venice Retail
RAM 3200 1GB KVR
Motherboard ECS NFORCE4-A939 (1.0) Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4
GFX Card Gigabyte 6600
HDD (WD160GB SATA drive)
CD/DVD NEC ND-3540A
PSU Thermaltake 420w
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• fourtytwo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd also like to add that the heat is not an issue it runs cool. I tried having both sticks in dual channel, then moved the 2nd ram stick to take it out of dual channel, then tried only one stick... Same result.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can you get to safe mode? If so, check your event viewer system log for errors. You most likely have a graphic driver conflict
  • fourtytwo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can't even do that man :/ does the same thing. right after everything loads on screen text etc... bam blue screen followed by restart
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also if you can get to safe mode run msconfig and on the boot.ini tab, select the basevideo option. This will force Windows to load with basic VGA drivers, and possibly let you get to Windows and fix your driver problem.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm...can you get to recovery console from your install disk? If so you could edit the boot.ini file manually to add the /basevideo option.
  • fourtytwo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah i can get to the recovery console... any idea how I would add that? Is there a tut online?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

use the command: bootcfg /addsw /bv
This will add the basevideo switch.

MS Documentation

//edit - crap - forgot the line ID number - if you've only got one OS it should be line 1 so the command should be:

bootcfg /addsw /bv /id 1
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
use the command: bootcfg /addsw /bv
This will add the basevideo switch.

MS Documentation

//edit - crap - forgot the line ID number - if you've only got one OS it should be line 1 so the command should be:

bootcfg /addsw /bv /id 1

your soo smart ATNO/TW. You always seem to know the answer.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well thanks, but lets wait and find out if it works. I'm basically just assuming it's a graphics driver problem, and hopefully that will work around it.
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have had many problems installing windows on computer other than mine. The cd-rom drives do not read everything on the disk. The things that are left out are sometimes things that are important, like the drivers. Ever since i installed this new one into the laptop I am currently using, things have gotten better.

Were there any errors about copying files during the installation?
  • fourtytwo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

nope didn't work...

typed: bootcfg /addsw /bv /id1
then tried bootcfg /addsw /bv /id 1

then it gave me the whole list of "use these commands with the bootcfg option for reasons this and this"

then i tried:

bootcfg /add sw /bv /id1

then i got the whole "which install?

i picked 1, then it gave me 3 options to type something apparently this was a bad menu to come to because i freakin added /bv and /id1 as two different boot configs lol. I know how to delete thoes once i get back into windows so its not a big deal about that..

overall statement no couldn't get it to work.. did i type something wrong?
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av

Post 3+ Months Ago

May you please answer my question above?
  • fourtytwo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

the first time there was but im not convinced that it was the CD... What happened was the first time when i hit F6 it asked me which drivers i wanted to install and i picked the sata drivers and some other driver that was loaded.. Well anyway after i partitioned in the next step and hit install it gave a copy error but it wasn't windows setup files... So i exited by F3 restarted, and went through the motions again and all went well not one issue.

EDIT: Sorry about that, I didn't see your statement. My appologies.
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av

Post 3+ Months Ago

No problem. I know there is a different kind of windows repair. It may be automatic system recovery. I am not sure. I would look, but my computer is down also (hardware issues).
  • fourtytwo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

any ideas guys?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, my first suggestion since it's a new install anyway, is wipe the drive again with a fresh format and start over. Something could have gone funky with the install.

If the same error persists, then try booting with step by step configuration. Answer yes to all the defaults until it gets to load all windows drivers, Say yes to that, but say no to the individual drivers that come up. If that gets you in, then you'll know it's a driver problem and not a hardware problem.

Other options - at the recovery console run chkdsk and let it scan for hard drive errors.
- boot using the bootlog option. You can then view the bootlog in recovery console using the "type" command. The last driver that failed to load is usually the guilty party.
  • fourtytwo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm this is turning quite interesting and inconsistant... The files copied just as normal and expected, but this time while installing i get a reading redundant error? I thought maybe it was my windows cd that was scratched so I called my cousin over and his disc did the same thing... Now what in the world is going on... Im gonna try the automated install like you said but gah whats going on.
  • fourtytwo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah now its just one error message after another. their all different.. what do you think it could be? I tried messing with the ram timings with no avail.. I tried setting it to 3-4-4-10 and it was no help... What do you suggest now?

Why would it work one time and not now?
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pull one stick of memory out and do not load it in dual channel. Its a known issue with a lot of NForce boards.

WC
  • fourtytwo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well that's what I tried last time, but i'll try again today.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a feeling that it may either be your SATA drivers (wrong ones?) or the ECS mobo could be bad.

Can you try the HDD in another computer to verify it can read/write well? Maybe try to run the WD Diagnostics disk.
  • fourtytwo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I think it may have been ram timings/volts as well?? I didn't have it running stock with just the single 512 stick so i tried that and it did install successfully no problem. I'm thinking the last time when I tried installing with the single module it was giving me the blue screen error (I don't remember exactly I tried so many different ways) but we are at the desktop and now its time for drivers :D I would like to not make a new topic for this so I'll propose the question here:

1: So now the other ram stick can be inserted into dual channel mode and there will be no issues?

2: Any drivers anyone suggest for a 6600? Outside of the stock nvidia.com...

Examples: DNA, Omega, etc.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Next time, when you run into trouble make sure everythign works at its stock tiomings and voltages. Also, also install the operating system with the computer at stock speeds.

After you have verified the computer runs well, then you can overclock.
  • fourtytwo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I'm just wanting some slightly tighter timings outa this ram... I don't know what I can get exactly but here's to trying.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just bought some memory today. Corsair XMS Pro Low-Latency PC3200 2-2-2-5. It's actually tweaked DDR500 made to run at DDR400 but will overlock to 500 easily and stable.
  • fourtytwo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice.. In my other rig I just put in the OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2. It's PC 3200 and runs at 2-2-2-5 stock with up to 2.9V under warantee. I was impressed anyway :? and the price at newegg was kind of hard to resist.
Hell my buddy just bought the OCZ gold and his is running 2-2-2-5 as well but 3.2V :/
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

The memory is all controlled by the cpu now, tweaking the ram may result in the system being unstable and not booting, I would suggest not doing this....leave it stock, also I would suggest going to the DFI website and checking for any bios updates that may have been released to address the dual memory issues.

1: So now the other ram stick can be inserted into dual channel mode and there will be no issues?
Not known as I said check for a bios update to address this issue, it may not, but it may at stock speeds.

2: I would suggest the Omega drivers.

WC

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 28 posts