Wi-Fi boost?

• HardDrive
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

okay heres the background i live with my parents (im young) and i want to use wi-fi. :P parents have a old emachines desktop, proview moniter you know, the basics for surfing the web. they have a westell modem/wi-fi router. i have a dell latitude d600 laptop and i figured out how to make the wireless network for it to go online, but my parents dont like the idea of me using the internet all the time, witch i will not >:( okay now the problem my parents turn the modem/router off every time they sighn out on the computer witch is about 40 billion times a day, and the wi-fi antena is right next to the switch on the back of the modem/router so if i put the antena on they will feel it and wonder why its on there. without the antena it still kinda works around the house, the connection says "vary low". so im looking for another way to boost the signal from the desktop or the router or boost the reception on my laptop. anything u can suggest would be good

NOTE: they know i can use the wi-fi so im not stealing wi-fi :evil: :roll:
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't understand how you still have any connection at all if they shut the modem/router. How does that work?
  • HardDrive
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

well when they turn it on it works :P its kinda confusing. but i just use my laptop when the modem is on, but what im trying to get is a good connection for the time that the modem is on :P
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

It certainly is confusing. All you had to do was ask: how can I improve my wifi connection?

You didn't have to go through the story about your parents don't want you on the net.

Anyway, you may have to change some settings in the modem/router. Westell has a web interface similar to other routers, although it's a bit more complicated then a Linksys. The default usr/pass maybe admin:password depending on the model. They also have tech support if you can't do it yourself. They will tell you what to do.
  • HardDrive
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

alright thanks :) oh one thing though, how do i get to the modems web site? like 9.56.37.1 or whatever :P thnx
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Open a command prompt and type:
netstat -r

Look under default gateway.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts