Boot problem

• darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a computer (dell Dimension 4300S) that won't boot up past the bios stage.. it just hangs once the bios indicates being fully loaded. I thought of a boot diskette and all of those good things but, it won't even get to that stage. I've talk to dell support but they've been of no help. Is there anything that anyone would recommend.

//EDIT: BTW, I can't get into the bios setup or boot options.. so I'm assuming it's a bios problem.. or maybe something else very critical.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm....so you can't try to update the BIOS? Is the computer still under warranty? If it is then just take it to one of their repair shops and tell 'em FIX IT!

Why did you have to remove your sig? Too tall or something?
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't find the right bios to update it with.. The computer is not under warranty.

I had to remove my sig becuse...

Quote:
..it gives the wrong impression and we would much prefer that you kindly replace it with something more appropriate.

That was from ATNO and, I do understand how they might think it would be confusing for the noobs or something.. I'll have a new signature that won't offend people soon.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Depending on what motherboard make you have, if you open up the case it should have lights on the motherboard to indicate the status of the computer. I just fixed a computer with similar problems, it would start for 2 seconds and shut off. The motherboard had 2 green lights and 2 red, which upon refering to the manual meant that the graphics card was fried. Replaced the card, and it worked, 4 green lights.

Other boards work differently, mine has a green light to indicate the motherboard is working and a sequence of beeps to tell you if somethings wrong. My guess is that your computer probably has a hardware issue (if its not a bios update thats needed), and a good first step to find out if anything is wrong with your hardware is to scope out those motherboard features.
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

The weird thing is that I didn't do anything to the computer to do this, it just happened. There are 4 green lights on the back usually, but now 2 yellow. I cannot tell what this means though, because the manual says to take to support if the lights turn yellow or something. so, I'll probably have to get a service manual somehow is what I'm thinking.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I couldnt find the exact error code chart for your pc, but I'm guessing Dell uses similar motherboards models, so you can reference what you got with the chart here ( http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dsleest/codemess.htm?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19 ). Which one matches what you see?

Btw, it doesnt always take human error to make computers go bonkers! Sometimes things just give up, its the nature of the beast. :wink:
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks. next time I'm at my other house, I'll take another look at it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts